USB 3.1 Type C - Real-Life Pictures

GoodBytes

I haven't broken mine yet :).

Same here on the phone side... I did finally break a charger though, it was the OEM one that came with my Motorola Razr 2 (flip phone), so it lived its life and more. I used it daily for the past 5 years or so.

I haven't broken mine yet :).

I've never broken one, but I have had one cable wear out after about 2 years of use... But honestly, its fine with me for an 8$ cable to wear out after 2 years.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

10gbps will be nice.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I just wanted them to fix the physical design. I've had two perfectly good Kindles crap out from the port getting too loose to receive the charge :/

At least they are adding some good features

Check Apple own site reviews

Apple's website

1612 reviews, and the massive majority of people say it sucks

To be fair, there is a higher chance of people reviewing something if it breaks. If everyone who had that cable reviewed it I strongly doubt most of them would be negative.

I can't wait for my next phone in a couple years to have the next connector. YEA!

I also expect my next phone in 2016 to be a 64bit processor, run faster DEF have a bigger and longer lasting battery and the OS to be 64 bit. The apps should look a bit different and improved by then too.

VERY EXCITING for these next two years in tech. So much REALLY NEW stuff coming out in tech hardware and software.

looks to easy to break, should be bigger so it doesnt 

CPU: i7 8700k Motherboard: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 white, 2 black) GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3 SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PSU: Corsair RM750i OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Samsung S24C570L 1080p 23.6" + AOC AGON 240Hz 1080p Sound: HyperX Cloud Headset Black/Red + Logitech Z213 Speakers 2.1

Looks just like a lightning connector

It doesn't really look anything like a lightning connector...other than they're both thin and metal.

Chip on the inside will break easy I bet.

Cable has the prong, goes into the phone. The phone connector has contacts on top and bottom, but no piece in the middle. Nothing to really break on the phone side in norma use unless you do weird stuff with your phone connector. 

http://www.amazon.com/KT-Accessories-Quality-Compatible-Version/dp/B00M9NK27M/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1410447029&sr=8-15&keywords=lightning+cable Okay, its 5.85. Sorry, that 85 cents is killer I know. 

I highly doubt you can easily break it. They've been working on it for ages.

Judging by the length of the male end, it goes quite far in before actually making contact with the header. Which would make it quite safe. There wouldn't be room for play.

And you really didn't have to be a dick about the $0.85 :rolleyes: Your point was made when you pointed out the price.

I get that the USB type C would be really useful and all...

But is micro-USB seriously that weak? I've never broken any USB port / USB cable in my life, and I have no trouble plugging a micro USB cable to my phone in dark while succeeding on the first try (most of the time, that is). It can be felt, it's not that difficult to do (unless you'd be wearing gloves)

I've seen both, so it depends on the quality that's put into it.

There's a lot more than just strength with the new standard though, like being able to use the same end on all devices. It just cuts down on production costs, waste, etc etc.

Homogenization is a good thing.

looks to easy to break, should be bigger so it doesnt 

It doesn't look that fragile, and they've done a lot of testing.

I prefer things get smaller than remain the same...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

i think the quality of the conector is going to be an issue with cheap cables... that conector does not look reliable and sterdy

All i care about is that i can put it in, any way i want it :D

Diamond 5 in League :)

Check Apple own site reviews

1612 reviews, and the massive majority of people say it sucks

Did you read any of them? People complain about the cable. Not the connector.

lightning_cable_review_01.jpg

lightning_cable_review_02.jpg

A quick Google search reveals the true problem:

problem.jpg

And one of the many videos on YouTube:

And just to put it into perspective... a pic of the micro USB cable that came with my own HTC phone:

htc_micro_usb.jpg

You shouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly. Not again.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

Did you read any of them? People complain about the cable. Not the connector.

A quick Google search reveals the true problem:

problem.jpg

You shouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly. Not again.

This is a enternal Apple problem, at least for me. My laptop charger isn't so bad but my phone cables always get that weird contorting of the outer sheath and they eventually go to hell. 

Cables break. Connectors generally don't, be they lightning or micro usb or whatever. Claiming the lightning connector is weak is as stupid as claiming micro usb is weak.

Apple's main userbase are general consumers, not prosumers or professionals. Hence they are much more likely to yank, tear and otherwise abuse the cable.

I havn't ever broken a single USB cable. I don't see anyone breaking this, or a lightning cable. While this has the plastic support on the female end, this allows contacts on the inside reducing erosion over time. It has it's benefits. 

Regardless, r.i.p. USB type A, we loved and hated you in equal measure.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

Chip on the inside will break easy I bet.

Yep. Same as Micro USB.

They had one chance to shamelessly ape/license the Lightning interface but nope, lets continue the issue that microUSB has with a flimsy connector but hey its reversible now so people will go bananas.

Apple probably patented it. It would have been nice for them to license it to other manufacturers though.

The lighting connector is very poorly designed. Many needs to buy new cables very often, as the contacts rust or gets damaged. They are not protected like a normal connector. They are fully

exposed. It's excellently designed. Most robust connector I've ever used by a wide margin. It's made of solid metal.

The goal of Type C is to be more robust. Also, it is not USB standard fault, if your phone manufacture goes with El-cheapo branded connectors. My guess, is that they do this on purpose so that you buy a new phone. I've never had good luck with Micro USB. I had a Nook Color and the cable was so flaky that you could literally misalign it by blowing on it hard.

1612 reviews, and the massive majority of people say it sucks ​You know how many people didn't say it sucks? Around 150 million by my last count.

To be fair, there is a higher chance of people reviewing something if it breaks. If everyone who had that cable reviewed it I strongly doubt most of them would be negative. 

Exactly. Who writes a review of a cable that DOESN'T break? It's just a cable!

This is a enternal Apple problem, at least for me. My laptop charger isn't so bad but my phone cables always get that weird contorting of the outer sheath and they eventually go to hell. 

I've honestly never had an issue with either. However I do frequently pray to Saint Jony Ive and I always wear nothing but grey shirts and khaki shorts. The massive fluorescent lights help too. Poor guy can't be exposed to any color other than white!

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Looks pretty enough. If it actually does what is promised, awesome.

Also, never had problems with any usb cables breaking. Maybe I was lucky? I don't know.

Reminds me. The cable that came with my iPad2 broke in the same place. Completely forgot about it.

If you need a replacement, then I can recommend those:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Hanf-Seil-30Pin-Lade-Sync-Daten-Kabel-Cable-Cord-fur-iPhone-4-4S-iPad-2-3-/400743056179?pt=Ersatzteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r_Baumaschinen&var=&hash=item5d4e25c333

Many of the other cheap 30 pin cables only work with iPhones.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

Looks okay (provided it doesn't snap...), my main issue will be backwards compatibility. In order to get the full advantage of the new connector's slim profile for making new laptops and tablets thinner, they'll need to have no type A connectors. So I'm guessing eventually I'll need a bucketful of Type C to A adapters if I want to keep on using my current devices (this issue is probably about 5 years off from reality, so we'll see)

Check out my video work at youtube.com/SuperUserTech

Acer Aspire 5750G - i5-2410m | 8GB 1333Mhz RAM | 500GB 5400RPM HDD | Nvidia GT540m

2xBenQ EW2440L | Sennheiser HD600 | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Corsair Vengeance M65 | Panasonic Lumix G7 | Panasonic 20mm F1.7

Looks okay. Sad it isn't compatible with "normal" USB though.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

i dont have any experience to go on when talking about the lightning cable, however the micro USB cables are arguably the most fragile out of all USB cables... my cat pulled my phone that was charging on my nightstand down to the ground and the impact with the ground managed to bend the connection that was inside of the phone.  the cable still worked after the incident however the connection was really very flaky, i had to wiggle the cable in the port to get a solid connection.  and before anyone blames the port the subsequent replacement that was purchased worked fine (and still does work fine) - eliminating the port from the cause of the issue.

at the end of the day, if we're going with smaller and smaller jacks and ports then they're going to get more and more fragile - regardless of who makes it and what materials they use.

This far I'm happy with what I've seen and heard. Have to try it when it releases though.

So I can put anything here?