HP announces the Z-series upgrade.

LOGO.png

HP just announced the new products in their product line of Z-series notebooks and workstations.

Z840
The flagship of the Z-series is the Z840 which is the successor of the Z820.
The Z840 can be configured to hold two Intel Xeon E5-2600 V3 18 core CPU's giving it a total of 36 cores or 72 threads.

task-manager.jpg

The new Z-series flagship also received a ram upgrade as it can now ship with up to 2TB of DDR4DDR4-2133 ECC and it can be configured with a variety of FirePro or Quadro cards.
Unlike the Z820 the Z840 does not have water-cooling.

hp_inside-z840-590x524.png

Z640
The new Z640 can also hold two 18 core Xeon CPU's for a total of 36 cores, this is 12 more than the old Z620.
The Z640 can ship with up to 256GBDDR4-2133 ECC and it can be configured with a variety of of FirePro or Quadro cards just like the Z840.

Z640.png

Z440
The smallest desktop in the Z lineup is the Z440, unlike the Z640 and Z840 the Z440 will only support up to one Xeon 8 core CPU.
The Z440 can ship with up to 128GB of DDR4-2133 ECC RAM and just like its bigger brothers it can be configured with a variety of of FirePro or Quadro cards.
Z440.png

ZBook G2
Alongside the desktops HP has also updated the ZBooks G15 G2 and G17 G2 for 15" and 17".
The new ZBook have been updated with the latest intel CPU's and just like the desktops they can be fitted with either FirePro or Quadro cards.

The G15 is fitted with a 3200x1800 Quad-HD 15" display while the G17 can be fitted with a HP DreamColor display for color-critical work.

Other updates are Thunderbolt 2 ports and a custom m.2 SSD (HP Z Turbo Drive)
g15.pngg17.png

HP has yet to release updates for the ZBook 14 and the Z-series all in one systems.

Source(s) / Full article:
https://tweakers.net/nieuws/98345/hp-geeft-z-workstations-en-zbooks-een-upgrade.html
http://www.studiodaily.com/2014/09/hp-announces-36-core-desktop-workstations/
http://www.notebookreview.com/news/hp-zbook-15-g2-zbook-17-g2-push-envelope-mobile-workstations/
http://media.looneykid.com/LTT/NEWS/HP/Z%20update/HP_Z440_Workstation_Datasheet_English_U.S..pdf
http://media.looneykid.com/LTT/NEWS/HP/Z%20update/HP_Z640_Workstation_Datasheet_English_U.S..pdf
http://media.looneykid.com/LTT/NEWS/HP/Z%20update/HP_Z840_Workstation_Datasheet_English_U.S..pdf

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

WOW :mellow:

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

I dont like hp at all, ill stick with dell doesnt matter if its for me or enterprise i dont like hp at all. Great post however, we need more new posters which put effort in their posts.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

It's hp so it will probably overheat after a year and die. Like i had with every HP product i ever bought.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Are those passive CPU coolers?

You have a powerful fan blowing on them in the front of the case.

waddafuq

Where's the PSU? I hope it's not up at the top where it could overheat in that small space.

I bet those CPU's will be cooked within a couple months of some ignorant (not insulting) users to put the PC on the carpet, under a desk with absolutely no airflow..........

Shit like this makes IT pull their hair out. I hope IT departments will build their workstations instead of buying desktops like these.

Are those passive CPU coolers?

Good post BTW.

No, There is usualy a fan compartment over the motherboard.

Something like this (this was the fan system in the Z820)

hp_z820_workstation_teardown_023.png

waddafuq

Where's the PSU? I hope it's not up at the top where it could overheat in that small space.

I bet those CPU's will be cooked within a couple months of some ignorant (not insulting) users to put the PC on the carpet, under a desk with absolutely no airflow..........

Shit like this makes IT pull their hair out. I hope IT departments will build their workstations instead of buying desktops like these.

it is up top but the cooling is wel sorted in the Z systems, very quiet as the fans spin at a low rpm.

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Heh. That moment when my Guildmaster tried saying his HP "gaming optimized" laptop was better than any other laptop out there... I lol'ed.

I am correct in assuming that HP still has it's old reputation? of being a joke?

Edit: Good article though.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

No, There is usualy a fan compartment over the motherboard.

Something like this (this was the fan system in the Z820)

Oh my goodness I had never seen anything like that before...

Wow.

I recognize the logos on the fans, that's about it, I have to ask how loud is this unit?

5402a7881bfc2d2b661e3499a6f92037.png

I dont like hp at all, ill stick with dell doesnt matter if its for me or enterprise i dont like hp at all. Great post however, we need more new posters which put effort in their posts.

I kinda prefer hp over dell had some bad experiences with dell...

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

Oh my goodness I had never seen anything like that before...

Wow.

I recognize the logos on the fans, that's about it, I have to ask how loud is this unit?

5402a7881bfc2d2b661e3499a6f92037.png

Ive worked with a Z820, not loud at all is the airflow is well thought out so it doesnt need to move massive amounts of air.

Ive worked with a Z820, not loud at all is the airflow is well thought out so it doesnt need to move massive amounts of air.

Why is this kind of setup for airflow preferable to the way consumer PCs are layed out in terms of fan placement and cooling?

Is it simply because the builds are standardised in terms of layout and it's easy to mass produce that unit?

Why is this kind of setup for airflow preferable to the way consumer PCs are layed out in terms of fan placement and cooling?

Don't know :)

All i know is that it works, very quit and superb cooling on the one I used at work.

I kinda prefer hp over dell had some bad experiences with dell...

Ive had bad experiences with both but as company dell is more trustworthy then hp and i find dells prices more reasonable.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Don't know :)

All i know is that it works, very quit and superb cooling on the one I used at work.

2TB of ram? I'm confused...

Diamond 5 in League :)

2TB of ram? I'm confused...

Yeah lol, and here is me thinking 32GB in my laptop is a lot....

Yeah lol, and here is me thinking 32GB in my laptop is a lot....

I only have 16gb... does that make me a peasant? I also have 1tb of HDD storage, and 128gb of ssd storage.. and you can get 2tb of ram... I understand these arent the same, but having more ram than my storage, makes me feel puny...

Diamond 5 in League :)

I only have 16gb... does that make me a peasant? I also have 1tb of HDD storage, and 128gb of ssd storage.. and you can get 2tb of ram... I understand these arent the same, but having more ram than my storage, makes me feel puny...

yeah lol, for me they will need to have a bit more ram to beat my storage though :P

I do wonder why you would need 2TB though, one would guess that it would be more efficient to offload to a server at that point.

waddafuq

HP uses proprietary PSUs and they won't over heat, unless they are faulty (I have two EliteDesk 800 SFF side-by-side right now with top mounted PSUs running 24/7 absolutely fine.). And how would putting it on the floor restrict airflow there are no bottom intakes or exhausts, seriously they have deltas in them?

yeah lol, for me they will need to have a bit more ram to beat my storage though :P

I do wonder why you would need 2TB though, one would guess that it would be more efficient to offload to a server at that point.

VMs, all the VMs you could want :P. I should ask my manager if we can get one as a loaner to play with :P (last month we had one of their 32 core Proliant Server loaners for testing.)

HP confuses me. They can make really incredible stuff and then on the other end of the scale, make the most piss poor excuse for a consumer desktop. It's like the same people who made the Bugatti Veyron suddenly released a card board box with some flame decals on it. This is why I want to like HP, but I just can't force myself to.

HP uses proprietary PSUs and they won't over heat, unless they are faulty (I have two EliteDesk 800 SFF side-by-side right now with top mounted PSUs running 24/7 absolutely fine.). And how would putting it on the floor restrict airflow there are no bottom intakes or exhausts, seriously they have deltas in them?

I've seen users put their PC's under a desk and on the carpet where it won't get good airflow and will gather dust quicker.

I also rushed out my comment in a blind rage since I hate HP.

I've seen users put their PC's under a desk and on the carpet where it won't get good airflow and will gather dust quicker.

I also rushed out my comment in a blind rage since I hate HP.

IMHO their enterprise and workstation stuff is phenomenal, but there consumer stuff is so hit and miss it gives the average consumer the idea that they are terrible all around.