Haswell for gaming, yay or nay?

Hey everyone, 

I was looking into getting an intel Mobo+Cpu to replace my AMD set up since streaming/rendering is not as good on AMD as opposed to Intel's single core performance. 

I read the i5 4690k was a good processor to get but after looking around I also saw people saying Haswell is NOT good for gaming. Is there an explanation for this? I've only ever followed AMD and looking into Intel is foreign territory for me. 

I would assume i7 would be overkill for me since its just gaming + streaming. Could someone guide me on the right path? 

and since AMD's AM3+ is not available in mini-itx or micro ATX config, could someone recommend me an intel cpu that can turn into mini-itx or micro atx? ATX is just too big. 

Thanks and I'm sorry if this is a frequently asked question, I used the search function but didn't find anything recently about this. 

Edit: 

For comparison/ clarification:

My current rig

AMD FX 8350 OC'd 4.8Ghz

R9 290 OC'd

8Gb RAM

750w OCZ PSU

Customer waterloop. 

4690k + z97m OC formula.

Haswell is great for gaming, probably the best architecture for pretty much every game out there. top end FX processors still only compete with i5's in gaming and some streaming.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

4690k + z97m OC formula.

Haswell is great for gaming, probably the best architecture for pretty much every game out there. top end FX processors still only compete with i5's in gaming and some streaming.

I enjoy playing World of tanks often and since that game is absolute shit optimized and only plays on ONE Cpu core, I just want to try and improve my overall performance in that and other games. I tried streaming and i drop from 50 fps to 13 fps... GabeN save me. 

YES! 

you will in most games experience a FPS increase, as well as better general responsivness

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Streaming should be competitive in performance compared to Intel's CPU's, but since you're also editing I would make the switch.

I don't know who said Haswell isn't good for gaming. There's nothing really wrong with them other than they get a little hot for what they are.

I think you could get away with an i5 (go unlocked if you can for overclocking to squeeze a bit more juice out). I don't know if Hyperthreading would benefit streaming at all, but supposedly it helps a bit with video rendering.

The only argument I can see against Haswell is that Ivybridge would be just as good, so if you can get Ivybridge cheaper that might make more sense. Haswell isn't actively bad for gaming though, but at the same time an 8350 will be fine for gaming too. It's swings and roundabouts either way really, gaming isn't very CPU dependent and streaming just requires a bit more horsepower on top, which can be provided by an i5 or an 8350.

I enjoy playing World of tanks often and since that game is absolute shit optimized and only plays on ONE Cpu core, I just want to try and improve my overall performance in that and other games. I tried streaming and i drop from 50 fps to 13 fps... GabeN save me. 

what streaming program... and whats your gpu? you would get much better performance with intel then.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

In that case a Haswell i5 will indeed suit you better than an 8350 then, since AMD's single-core performance leaves something to be desired.

what streaming program... and whats your gpu? you would get much better performance with intel then.

Sorry I just edited my original post. my GPU is an R9 290 that is currently Overclocked (Iforget to what) and I use OBS to stream. 

In that case a Haswell i5 will indeed suit you better than an 8350 then, since AMD's single-core performance leaves something to be desired.

I thank you for your opinion. How much of a performance difference would there be lets say I went more budget and got the i5 3570k or something like that. 

Sorry I just edited my original post. my GPU is an R9 290 that is currently Overclocked (Iforget to what) and I use OBS to stream. 

I thank you for your opinion. How much of a performance difference would there be lets say I went more budget and got the i5 3570k or something like that. 

AMD would be holding a 290 back; what encoding are you using? AMD's or the h264?

Computing enthusiast. 

AMD would be holding a 290 back; what encoding are you using? AMD's or the h264?

Whatever is standard on OBS. I just started trying to stream and noticed the HORRIBLE performance i was having so I didn't really try again. I tried to look for AMD's encoding option on the program's settings but I didnt have one so probably the other option. 

Do you really feel like you need to upgrade your rig right now? Are you having any issues?

In anyway, the 4690k is a great CPU and I'd like to see where anyone said Haswell is not good for gaming... they must have facts to state that because I got none.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

4690 (non-k) will suffice too, I havn't seen mine go above 61*c yet.

Mobo allows me to stay at 3.9Ghz Turbo clocks constant also, never declocks to base speeds.

Loving it's power! Drives ALL games easily and GPU usage stays at 99-100% the entire time across all my 25-30 Games installed.

But yeah.. their totally horrible :P

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Yes. 1000 times yes.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Just keep your current rig and upgrade for broadwell. Also shouldnt the 8350 do better in streaming + gaming cuz more cores?

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

I too play WoT on occasion! (used to play it non stop but, I moved on to FPS games). Intel CPUs have a higher IPC so the single threaded performance is gonna help a great deal. I blame those russian devs for optimizing the game to play on Russian Stalin era hardware... lol

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Yes haswell is good for gaming but its not worth the upgrade from 8350 to i5 its not a huge difference.

Yes haswell is good for gaming but its not worth the upgrade from 8350 to i5 its not a huge difference.

This basicly.

For gaming and streaming, the FX8350 is still a good cpu.

Its not worth to upgrade now.

The unlocked devils canyon cpu´s are better for gaming, but this not gonne justify the cost.

Also not the mention that the whole intel qsync magic not allways work  that well.

And AMD has an equilivant to that

Better wait till 2016, wenn the new platforms on both intel and amd get launched.

I dont see any vallid reason, why you should upgrade now.

UNlocked skylake wil be there in 2016.

This basicly.

The unlocked devils canyon cpu´s are better for gaming, but this not gonne justify the cost.

Also not the mention that the whole intel qsync magic not allways work  that well.

Better wait till 2016, wenn the new platforms on both intel and amd get launched.

^ this 300000000000 times

Hey everyone, 

I was looking into getting an intel Mobo+Cpu to replace my AMD set up since streaming/rendering is not as good on AMD as opposed to Intel's single core performance. 

I read the i5 4690k was a good processor to get but after looking around I also saw people saying Haswell is NOT good for gaming.

Is there an explanation for this? I've only ever followed AMD and looking into Intel is foreign territory for me. 

I would assume i7 would be overkill for me since its just gaming + streaming. Could someone guide me on the right path? 

and since AMD's AM3+ is not available in mini-itx or micro ATX config, could someone recommend me an intel cpu that can turn into mini-itx or micro atx? ATX is just too big. 

Thanks and I'm sorry if this is a frequently asked question, I used the search function but didn't find anything recently about this. 

Edit: 

For comparison/ clarification:

My current rig

AMD FX 8350 OC'd 4.8Ghz

R9 290 OC'd

8Gb RAM

750w OCZ PSU

Customer waterloop. 

nice rig by the way, try go for an i7 from the FX (skip the i5)

nice rig by the way, try go for an i7 from the FX (skip the i5)

i agree, that's what i did and i'm blown away by this chip, if it would have a dick i'd suck on it

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

This basicly.

^ this 300000000000 times

13fps streaming world of tanks is a VERY GOOD reason to upgrade if op plays a lot imho...you guys dont read enough...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

i agree, that's what i did and i'm blown away by this chip, if it would have a dick i'd suck on it

lol

I mean i guess if you Have/Want to upgrade right now. Skip the i5's and just pick up a i7-3770 or 4770k/4790k. Great chips i love my i7, makes a world of difference when i play games like rust, and arma