Was Linus wrong? Or Carey Holzman wrong?

T345

Anti-static mythbuster

I thought from Linus the outside of the anti-static bag was conductive?

Holzman has been been in the business way longer then linus has and hehas built way more computers then linus has period. Anyways as Holzman hasnt had problems with using the anti static bag i think we should trust him. I dont see how a bag made out of the same material can be conductive on one side and non conductive on the other side. If you dont trust it then put the motherboard on the the box it came in.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Holzman has been been in the business way longer then linus has and hehas built way more computers then linus has period. Anyways as Holzman hasnt had problems with using the anti static bag i think we should trust him. I dont see how a bag made out of the same material can be conductive on one side and non conductive on the other side. If you dont trust it then put the motherboard on the the box it came in.

it has a thin coating of conductive material on the outside of the plastic, shielding the components inside from any form of electric shock passing through the bag...

My System

CPU - 3570K@4.4Ghz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 in pull | Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | RAM - G.Skill RipJawX Blue 8GB 2133Mhz | GPU - Gigabyte Windforce X3 HD7970 | SSD - Patriot Pyro SE 120GB | HDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU - Corsair TX850V2 | Case - Bitfenix Shinobi XL 

I think there isnt anything wrong with the outside of the bag but you could also just lay it on the mobo box and you are good anyway.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I dont see how a bag made out of the same material can be conductive on one side and non conductive on the other side.

Actually... I believe it's conductive on both sides, that's why it's anti-STATIC. I believe what that does is distributes the charges evenly across the bag so that there isn't a build up in any one spot. What he is doing IS dangerous and whether what's shown in the video will work or not is just luck, it might do nothing 19/20 times but I am not willing to be the 20/20 :P 

Seems legit... not really :/

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

So it appears that I was slightly incorrect with how it works - "it's a rule in physics that when you have a conductor that completely surrounds something and that conductor has a charge, the inside of the conductor has 0 charge in it."

Either way, im just gonna not do it, just to be safe :D

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

So it appears that I was slightly incorrect with how it works - "it's a rule in physics that when you have a conductor that completely surrounds something and that conductor has a charge, the inside of the conductor has 0 charge in it."

Yeah,like that chain mail suit and metal cage that peoples use when using tesla coil

Theres a layer of plastic over the metal shielding so the surfice isint conductive enough to short out a board unless the bag is damaged , the only way you could short out the board possibly is if the bag was damaged and it had punctured right through.  I honestly wouldint  worry about it

Yeah I agree.

HOLZMAN has proved it is not a problem

LINUS has not proved it IS a problem 

He has been in business a really long time, almost 50 years of exp I believe. He even has some

of the common first CPU released, before the name Pentium came along.

Still he is slow to release, vids, no matter how long they are, Linus has more videos and more often. i actually learn something from these two experts, more then i did in school at least in my whole life. Im a first timer here, been following linus on u-tube for a while now...

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

I kinda feel like this is the same thing with using cellphones on planes. It has not been proven that they can lead to problems with the aircraft but better safe that sorry.  :P

I am just going to use my mobo box just to be safe.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Yeah I agree.

HOLZMAN has proved it is not a problem

LINUS has not proved it IS a problem 

He has been in business a really long time, almost 50 years of exp I believe. He even has some

of the common first CPU released, before the name Pentium came along.

Still he is slow to release, vids, no matter how long they are, Linus has more videos and more often. i actually learn something from these two experts, more then i did in school at least in my whole life. Im a first timer here, been following linus on u-tube for a while now.

.in order for the bag to be anti static it must have a conductive layer on the outside (it creates a faraday's cage) ... if u want proof of the conductivity of these bags take a piece (about 1cm by 3cm)  and hold on your phone in a way that a 1 cm square area of the bag touches your phone's screen. you would then be able to activate your touch screen and select stuff. some of the bags  have lots of black lines ... those black lines are conductive strtips,  though the strips are covered they are still conductive and if that coating breaks it won't be nice 

(ok somthing feels weird about the background of the text)

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

The safest will still be NOT using these bags even if you are 99.99% sure that you won't fried any of your parts!

CPU: i5 4670k @ 4.6-4.4 GHz| Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White/Blue) | Motherbord: ASUS Maximus VI Hero|
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB (Red) 1600MHz CL9 GPU: ASUS DirectCU II OC GTX 670 4GB (GTX670-DC2-4GD5) Power Supply: Corsair AX760i
Others: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, WD Green 2TB, 2 Toshiba 500GB, CM TPC 612, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Stealth Edition, Razer Naga 2013, Razer Electra (oh this is shit...), Razer Moray+ , Razer Goliathus Speed Edition, Audio Technica ATH2500

Was Linus wrong? Or Carey Holzman wrong?

They are both right and both wrong...

They are conductive, but they are also really bad conductors. I think It takes 100V + to get over the resistance of even 1cm2

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

done it loads of times myself, Even on the carpet, its not an issue.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Not sure about them being conductive but I'm rather sure they are capacitive.

Why? Most/all anti-static bags will work as a DIY stylus for any capacitive touchscreen.

I can't say anything about if it's enough to potentially damage anything. I doubt it, but just something to mention.

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

It's the same with the anti-static wristbands, if anything they make it worse. If you connect them to a metal surface, they will get charged by static from the friction on your arm, if you put them into the ground port of your poweroutlet, you are mostlikely going to create a grounding circuit and make it even worse.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

They work as a faraday cage, you can put the components on top of the bag as the material is NON-CONDUCTIVE.

You can test this yourself (and I did it in the past) with a multi-meter.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

.in order for the bag to be anti static it must have a conductive layer on the outside (it creates a faraday's cage) ... if u want proof of the conductivity of these bags take a piece (about 1cm by 3cm)  and hold on your phone in a way that a 1 cm square area of the bag touches your phone's screen. you would then be able to activate your touch screen and select stuff. some of the bags  have lots of black lines ... those black lines are conductive strtips,  though the strips are covered they are still conductive and if that coating breaks it won't be nice 

(ok somthing feels weird about the background of the text)

a little off topic but whats with your text? :P

An anti static bag is anti static as long as the inside or outside of the bag is slightly conductive. Some manufacturers choose to make the outside conductive, less common but you don't want to risk that... I know a friend that killed his motherboard because of the anti static bag...

Though in most bags, the outside isn't conductive, and than it's supposed to be safe. But the motherboard might have a long soldering spike that can penetrate the outside of the bag, dispute the fact that it's extremely rare...

Don't do it... Just don't. There are plenty of other things you can put the motherboard on..

I think there isnt anything wrong with the outside of the bag

There isn't, I've never had any issues and we did a conductivity test on the inside and the outside of a motherboard anti-static bag at school about 10 years ago.

Also Carey has been in the business for over 20 years so I think he has a slight idea what he is talking about.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Going to stick with the idea of using your motherboard box as a test bench and to build on.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer