Need Best Speakers for $5000 maybe

tengarp

Okay, so get ready for a somewhat long story. Around 17 Years ago, my dad spent $4000 on an amp, pre-amp and a set of speakers. I think he has since then changed the amp and pre-amp but he has kept the speakers and they are the B&W CDM7. I have no Idea if they are a waste of money, I have heard that that they might not be the best value but I wasn't alive when he bought them so I couldn't have even advised otherwise, he said he did a lot of research beforehand though. Now, he wants to upgrade to these speakers (the triton one tower). Now this time I want him to have the most educated decision he can make and not just blow a bunch of money on overpriced speakers, not saying he did before but I can't help but feel those speakers would be a bad idea though I have 0 experience with speakers over $100 so what do i know :P. So I need you audio experts to either help me or teach me in finding whether those speakers would be worth it and if not help in finding some sort of replacement, as well as if they reach that point of diminishing returns and if he should just settle for a lot less expensive speakers. Thanks for the help! 

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

Displays 2 old 1080p Acer and Samsung ones Cooling Corsair H60

† TTCF Member †

At that price range ive only ever thought about loud speakers but loudspeakers are not the best idea in small areas so sadly ill take a pass on this one.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

At that price range ive only ever thought about loud speakers but loudspeakers are not the best idea in small areas so sadly ill take a pass on this one.

They aren't like PA gear. They're still meant for home use. I'm only clued up on studio monitors, so I can't really help either :/

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

For floorstanders (I'm assuming your dad wants floorstanders) in that price range I'd recommend as one possibility ProAc Response D18 or Response D28. They look ordinary but they've got seriously good performance. I've got myself ProAc Response D1's and I've heard the D18's.

Other choices might be Dynaudio (Excite X32, Excite X36) or PMC (twenty.22, twenty.23 or twenty.24).

Whatever your dad decides to buy, he should definitely listen to them first, preferably at home if possible.

B&w make some of the best speakers that are both loud and have a large range of frequency. If he still has these speakers I would stay with them.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

@tengarp

Martin Logan's electrostatic speakers sound amazing. I'd highly recommend listening to a pair of electrostatic speakers if you can as they're the best speakers I've ever heard--although they do have a unique sound signature.  

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

They aren't like PA gear. They're still meant for home use. I'm only clued up on studio monitors, so I can't really help either :/

That's ok, thanks anyways!

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

† TTCF Member †

For floorstanders (I'm assuming your dad wants floorstanders) in that price range I'd recommend as one possibility ProAc Response D18 or Response D28. They look ordinary but they've got seriously good performance. I've got myself ProAc Response D1's and I've heard the D18's.

Other choices might be Dynaudio (Excite X32, Excite X36) or PMC (twenty.22, twenty.23 or twenty.24).

Whatever your dad decides to buy, he should definitely listen to them first, preferably at home if possible.

Yeah I should mention he wants floor standers, I should also mention that low end response is something he is fond of. And yeah, there is a place somewhat near us called century stereo http://www.centurystereo.com/audio-video-brands/reference-and-in-wall-speakers/ with triton being the new brand of speakers they are presenting. I will definitely  lookup those speakers you recommended.

† TTCF Member †

B&w make some of the best speakers that are both loud and have a large range of frequency. If he still has these speakers I would stay with them.

yup he still has them and uses them to this day, thanks for the advice!

† TTCF Member †

@tengarp

Martin Logan's electrostatic speakers sound amazing. I'd highly recommend listening to a pair of electrostatic speakers if you can as they're the best speakers I've ever heard--although they do have a unique sound signature.

I will tell my dad about those too thanks

† TTCF Member †

Legacy Audio Signature SE - with a bit of dealer wiggle you might get them for 5000$. There's nothing better for that money.

For something cheaper but still very good, Revel Performa3 F208 - this has a 5000$ list price - you don't have to pay that of course. :)

Okay, so get ready for a somewhat long story. Around 17 Years ago, my dad spent $4000 on an amp, pre-amp and a set of speakers. I think he has since then changed the amp and pre-amp but he has kept the speakers and they are the B&W CDM7. I have no Idea if they are a waste of money, I have heard that that they might not be the best value but I wasn't alive when he bought them so I couldn't have even advised otherwise, he said he did a lot of research beforehand though. Now, he wants to upgrade to these speakers (the triton one tower). Now this time I want him to have the most educated decision he can make and not just blow a bunch of money on overpriced speakers, not saying he did before but I can't help but feel those speakers would be a bad idea though I have 0 experience with speakers over $100 so what do i know :P. So I need you audio experts to either help me or teach me in finding whether those speakers would be worth it and if not help in finding some sort of replacement, as well as if they reach that point of diminishing returns and if he should just settle for a lot less expensive speakers. Thanks for the help! 

I'd say with a 5k budget your dad should be aiming for some top notch studio monitors, like some high end KRK's or Dynaudio's and then, if he really wants good sound, he should put some custom sound panels throughout the room in order to make that sweet audio spot.

LTT forum for $5000 speakers?

I don't even....  :wacko:

LOL, sorry it's the only community I know that can help me on this kind of stuff 

† TTCF Member †

LOL, sorry it's the only community I know that can help me on this kind of stuff 

Gearslutz.

Go there, my pretties. People here are just listing random speakers they know of that are expensive or brands they think are good.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Gearslutz.

Go there, my pretties. People here are just listing random speakers they know of that are expensive or brands they think are good.

thanks!

† TTCF Member †

• 2 weeks later...

@tengarp

5000 wont get you electrostats, not if OP wants 5.1

lol they are expensive

also electrostats are pretty directional, placement is pretty important and they dont fit every situation.

the best option is probably Martin Logan Motion 40 towers, Motion 30 Center, and motion 15 rears, and a Dynamo 1000

ML is an awesome company thou.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

I'm not a huge fan of these speakers either. The top end lacks a bit of brilliance for me. 

They're not bad speakers, especially if he likes how they sound. They're very easy to drive because of the active woofer set.

What components are in his system now?

If there's a dealer nearby, check out the Monitor Audio Gold GX300. They're great when properly matched.

The Focal Aria 948 speakers are also worth a look; they are just more demanding with placement and upstream gear.

Other noteworthy options:

1. KEF R900

2. PSB Synchrony One

3. Revel Performa3 F208

4. ProAc Response D28

One can dish out 5k, 10k, 15k for speakers BUT if the room has no acoustic treatment=waste of $$$. Using EQ to attenuate problematic frequencies is a Bandaid covering an axe wound. Depending on how shitty (or not) the shape/dimensions of the room are a few hundred bucks can do the job (lucky) or most likely you'll end up doing the 1:2 or 1:1- as in $2500 on speakers, $1000-2000 on treatment. $600 speakers in a well treated room will sound much better than $4000 speakers in a rectangular shaped room with a 10'> ceiling height. You can search the webs for blueprints to DIY some great stuff on the cheap.

For most of us, the big issue is controlling 100hz> the waves are so dang long, they hang in the corners (standing waves) and do terrible, unthinkable things to the low end.

1st reflections are easier/cheaper to deal with. That's the sound (freqs/hz) that comes outta the speaker, misses your ears, "hits" the surface behind you and is reflected back into your ear- despite the speediness of the phenomenon, your brain does register the same sound 2x (multiples actually) creating dropouts due to nutty phasing issues going on in a crappy room.

Frequencies that reflect can be calmed down with diffusion. Mid-High/High frequencies (1st reflection hz) are directional and can be treated on the cheap, unlike the low booming stuff, which needs absorption. Look up "1st reflection mirror sound test". You can use a hand mirror while sitting in front on ur speakers to see where the "bounce" (a small delay) happens on the wall/surface....and stick something diffusion-y there. 1 problem solved.

If people consider buying 5000$ monitors or 4x mega sli setups, $5000 doesn't seem way outta line here. Gearslutz is the best IMHO for audio stuff but I'm fairly confident I'm not alone in saying that some of those threads get really nasty and go on for years.

People round here seem much more willing to dole out advice in congenial manner. Minimum snubbing.

One can dish out 5k, 10k, 15k for speakers BUT if the room has no acoustic treatment=waste of $$$. Using EQ to attenuate problematic frequencies is a Bandaid covering an axe wound. Depending on how shitty (or not) the shape/dimensions of the room are a few hundred bucks can do the job (lucky) or most likely you'll end up doing the 1:2 or 1:1- as in $2500 on speakers, $1000-2000 on treatment. $600 speakers in a well treated room will sound much better than $4000 speakers in a rectangular shaped room with a 10'> ceiling height. You can search the webs for blueprints to DIY some great stuff on the cheap.

For most of us, the big issue is controlling 100hz> the waves are so dang long, they hang in the corners (standing waves) and do terrible, unthinkable things to the low end.

1st reflections are easier/cheaper to deal with. That's the sound (freqs/hz) that comes outta the speaker, misses your ears, "hits" the surface behind you and is reflected back into your ear- despite the speediness of the phenomenon, your brain does register the same sound 2x (multiples actually) creating dropouts due to nutty phasing issues going on in a crappy room.

Frequencies that reflect can be calmed down with diffusion. Mid-High/High frequencies (1st reflection hz) are directional and can be treated on the cheap, unlike the low booming stuff, which needs absorption. Look up "1st reflection mirror sound test". You can use a hand mirror while sitting in front on ur speakers to see where the "bounce" (a small delay) happens on the wall/surface....and stick something diffusion-y there. 1 problem solved.

If people consider buying 5000$ monitors or 4x mega sli setups, $5000 doesn't seem way outta line here. Gearslutz is the best IMHO for audio stuff but I'm fairly confident I'm not alone in saying that some of those threads get really nasty and go on for years.

People round here seem much more willing to dole out advice in congenial manner. Minimum snubbing.

A good room is the foundation of a great system. Placement also makes a huge difference.

Treating a room/proper placement is one of the most glamour-less sounding (excuse the pun) "upgrades" one can endeavor to task. Methinks the droll-some words (I hear moans) "room treatment" are culpable for the process being mucho glossed over, if seriously considered in any capacity.

Dude #1: hey...bro. I jest gots back from the Home De-pots and scored some serious Corning fibre-glass for muh bass-traps

(High five?)

Dude #3 (the observer/peanut gallery): uh. Yeah. Right on. Go fiberglass...and uh, kudos on the, em...choice of fabric color. Goes nice like with that Genesis poster ur uncle left you in his will...uhuhuhuh.

dude #2: It does bring out the puffy redness of Phil Collins face, eh?

Dude #3: Su Su Suuya. All nite long. Yep...oh look! There's an ant on the floor! And he looks ripe for a Funtime night of debauchery. Later dorx.

Dude #1: huh. He left quick. Wonder why.

I'll just start building this frame. I can't wait to stuff that fiberglass into this here soon to be bass absorber...

(1 week later)

Dude #3: (gee. Sounds like dude 1 got some serious gear...[knock knock]) YO! Open ze door, it's me...

Dude 2: (opens door) oh hey dude 3. Dude 1 and I are listening to old albums. Check it out?! Never knew there was a bongo orchestra on this track. Come to think of it, never noticed how tight that bass drum mix was either...it's like (epiphany-time) I'm hearing this for the first time. Oh yeah, check out the bass traps dude built.

?

Dude #1: oh yeah. I think you were partying with an ant and missed the whole room-treatment thingy.

Dude #3: whatever. That's some real dork you got going on.

BTW...uh. Can you make me some of those things?

"Booooooo"

--

Well, something like that. The first pair of monitors I bought were some el cheapo Alesis Mk1s. They were on sale for $175. I procured some glorified panels of styrofoam, anything but ideal for the crappy room I was in but, I spent a week reading on the shit and glued them where I thought they'd do something. Bookshelves (with books!) can act kinda like those crazy expensive diffusers (the ones made with uneven pieces of wood, they look like some MOMA post-modern something). Placed 2 of those to the right and left against the wall and stuck the mushiest couches in the rear corners. Essentially it was all free. I spent a few years with that setup developing my mixing-ears. Did 4 CDs and other projects, until 1 of the Alesis monitors died.

Pretty amazing how fast the ear can learn. Comparing mixes from beginning of year one to those a year later was gratifying. No need to go to some audio program...plus after you get to know the speakers really well, no need for a sub, or making a zillion mixes and going out to do the "car test".

But yep. You're 1000% correct. Along the way I picked up a little room measurement mike (radio shack special) and using a 5$ app on an iPhone 3, I'd run white/pink noise thru those Alesis speakers, and take snap shots with the mike, studying the rooms natural eq curve. I know there's a lot of good sound dudes who correct with EQ, but it's night and day, correcting spikes/lulls by moving furniture, foam and pillows.

It's kinda fun.

After 5ish years, I had made enough $$$ to start buying much higher end stuff, 1 piece at a time. If that stuff "breaks", it's never a big deal, the higher quality stuff has no IC/boards, all EZ to fix (unless some kid were to magically appear and do the "speaker-cone poke game". That'd be a costly mess.

One of the best chunks of advice given to me, which can be applied to dynamics which lie well outside the realm of music-things came from an old drum teacher, in 1994-

I was having problems with my right foot, when playing an uptempo samba. I'd pull it off at home practicing on "my" kit...but playing out using shitty house kits with olde tymey bass-pedals was super frustration-nation. I'm sure you've noticed (esp /w younger ones) drummers, when they get behind less than stellar kit (aka their own), often times after adjusting the stool, snare height etc...they talk non-stop (or wiggle things forever) about how "it's not right- the kit made me do it"...granted if ur playing on a trash can with 1/2 a chopstick...that's an issue...but, all the teacher said after I'd expressed my frustrations regarding the right-samba foot was "any drummer [musician/artist] should be able to play well on any piece of shit".

You can see how that applies to just about anything in life. $175 monitors, some dude half way across the world programming some amazing shit on a 6502-CPU, a painter who can't afford cadmium yellow (80$ for a small tube) and says fuck it, I'll use acrylics, open up some of the less "all ad" photo-magazines- amazing pictures, in the equipment used box "canon 30D. 50mm f1.8, tripod", people who make amazing food minus the blanco truffles and beluga...goes on and on.

A year later I moved to LA and by coincidence, became roommates with a bunch of Brazilian Dudes. Didn't talk much about sambas or claves but near the end of the first year, I remember practicing one night in a small drum-room, and heard a knock on the door, it was a few older Brazilian dudes I didn't know. I was still a teen at the time and consider it one of those "will never forget it" moments- the dudes wanted to know who was playing and were surprised when I opened the door. I just remember hearing "you play from Brazil? (me: uh no) You play samba like a Brazilian. I thought you were".

That was super duper awesome. 1 year prior, I was whining. The secret was 8-9 hrs of practice 6 days a week. Not much of a secret.

Anyway

It IS all about the room, the placement and the ear.