FAA Scans the Internet For Drone Users; Sends Cease and Desist Letters

Victorious Secret

un-avion-evite-un-drone-de-justesse-640x

I guess the FAA must be having really boring days lately, if this is what they are doing with their time. If the FAA is so goddamn concerned, spend some money and create a drone licensing program so that people can get certified for flying drones and thus properly insured when they use them in business related scenarios. 

For personal use? GTFOOOOOOO please and thank you. Especially for aerial photography. Its okay for me to get to the top of a building if I know a guy who has rooftop access just so I can take some time-lapses, but suddenly its foul play that I use some electronics to do the same thing? Jog off FAA, thats not cool.

An anonymous reader writes with this news from Carl Malamud's Government Attic:"The FAA has released a set of cease and desist letters sent in 2012 and 2013 to people operating drone vehicles for a variety of purposes including: tornado research, inspecting gas well stacks, aerial photography, journalism education, and other purposes. Drone cease and desist letters sent during 2014 are available from the FAA upon request."The text of the letters (bureaucratically polite, but bureaucratically firm) often starts with notes indicating to the UAV operators to whom they were sent that the FAA became interested in them because it "became aware of" their web sites, or even because someone tipped them off about an article in a community newsletter. The letters go on to outline the conditions under which the FAA allows the operation of unmanned aircraft, and specifically notes:Those who use UAS only for recreational enjoyment, operate in accordance with Advisory arcular 91-57. This generally applies to operations in remotely populated areas away from airports, persons and buildings, below 400 feet Above Ground Level, and within visual line of sight. On February 6, 2007 the FAA published UAS guidance in the Federal Register, 14 CPR Part 91 / Docket No. FAA-2006-25714 I Unmanned Airaaft Operations in the National Airspace System. Toward the end of the docket it says, ''The FAA recognizes that people and companies other than modelers might be flying UAS with the mistaken understanding that they are legally operating under the authority of AC 91-57. AC 91-57 only applies to modelers, and thus specifically excludes Its use by pecions or companies for business purposes."

http://slashdot.org/story/206887

:| ..........

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

semi-related, because drones

off topic: irks me how women get away with assaulting men, in this case the woman who clearly has no idea of what the drone can do, claimed that it was able to take pictures of her, and proceeded to follow where it landed, then assaults the operator...

And those people just walk on by and let her carry on her assault. Personally i'd have dropkicked that bitch to get her off him.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Well in here in Democratic Canada they are still legal (for now)

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

semi-related, because drones

off topic: irks me how women get away with assaulting men, in this case the woman who clearly has no idea of what the drone can do, claimed that it was able to take pictures of her, and proceeded to follow where it landed, then assaults the operator...

And those people just walk on by and let her carry on her assault. Personally i'd have dropkicked that bitch to get her off him.

personally yeah i would have probably killed her or when he had her pinned she would have had a broken bone and skull. most people dont understand how much someones hobby can cost. and its not always a financial one. you cant buy hard work and patience spent on a custom design, software tweaking, and countless upgrades. granted he didnt lose the quad there but he easily could have being that close to water.

Our government's all use drones? So why can't we?  :D  At least in the UK it is not illegal to use your own drone, at least for small scale personal use.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

It sounds like they're going after people flying in controlled airspace (above 400 feet by the article). They've always done this, it isn't a new practice, and if you get a letter and have it shown on your drone that it never exceeded that altitude I'm sure you'll be fine. It just so happens easily controlled aircraft is becoming more widespread so of course you're going to hear about it more, and of course people are going to act like this means the US outlawed drone flying.

Either way if it isn't covered under modelers someone's probably going to fight it soon

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

If you like your drone you can keep your drone eh?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Fuck you faa, you are doing a great job destroying a hobby

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz