Bungie and Activision are *not* sending out early copies of Destiny for review

TopWargamer

Source: http://www.polygon.com/forums/destiny/2014/9/2/6097679/a-note-from-the-reviews-editor-no-release-day-destiny-review

Hello friends. Unfortunately, I have some sub-optimal news: Destiny developer Bungie and publisher Activision have decided to ship out review copies for their game for arrival on Monday, Sept. 8. As the game launches on Sept. 9, there is no practical way for us to have aDestiny review in time for its launch at midnight on the 9th in your territory of choice.

Ya know, normally this isn't a good sign at all, and while I don't approve of Bungie/Activison doing this, I don't think we'll have to worry. I've personally played the beta and I gotta say, man was that a fun beta. Of course, many game reviewers got to play it as well, and it got positive views from those game reviewers, despite it being a beta. 

I saw somebody post this as a comment to this article:

Never a good sign of a Publishers confidence in a game

Not necessarily true in this case. Activision pumped ~$500 million into making Destiny. Now, most of that was for advertisement, sure, but it's still ~$500 million towards the game none the less. I think it's safe to say that Activision is perfectly confidant that Destiny will sell extremely well. 

So again, I don't approve of Bungie/Activision doing this, but I think everything will be alright in the end. What are your thoughts on this?

(Still can't wait for the game to come out next week. So excited.)

COMIC SANS

It's fine, sensible people will just wait until after launch to buy it's not like they are going to run out.

That word. What does it mean? 

/s

Firstly, after recent events I DO NOT consider Polygon to be a reputable source for news. 

Apparently I'm out of the loop. Could you explain?

The biggest talking point being the lack of in-game social features (unless this has been fixed since this was announced a few months back).

Elaborate on "in-game social features" 

COMIC SANS

This game is far too much fun so this doesn't make me skeptical about it in anyway. Maybe they don't want reviews because they want the individual player to make their own decision about the game for a change? Which is how I judge most games, I play them myself instead of look at pointless reviews which at the end of the day is the reviewers OPINION.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

oh I wasn't going to buy it anyways.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I think this is a good thing. People will learn about the game through word of mouth rather than just reviews. Also, like Linus said in another post, it helps the smaller guys out.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

The entire GamerGate thing. Just watch the videos from Internet Aristocrat. 

Ya...never heard of it... I'll go watch it now, thanks.

As for the in-game social features, you couldn't directly communicate with other players. I believe you had to be in a party with them or something like that. It was a while ago and I don't really remember the details of it.

Oooooh that. I personally didn't see that as a problem. Whenever I play multiplayer games by myself, I don't really like to hear other people talking. And whenever I'm playing with people, it's always with my friends. So I personally don't have an issue with it. 

I mean, ya, *I* don't have a problem with it, but I can see where a lot of people do enjoy that. So ya...Bungie probably should add it in. So long as I have the option to mute the person (whether that be in-game, in the settings, etc.) then I'll be just fine.

COMIC SANS

I have absolutely no idea what Destiny is about and I have not read anything about it.

However, judging by the huge amount of hype surrounding the game, and the tons of money Bungie has spent on marketing it my guess is that it will be pretty generic and crappy.

I recommend everyone to not pre-order it. Wait for proper reviews to be out (e.g not reviews from sites like IGN or Kotaku).

I honestly think it is better that they do not ship early review copies. It gives the small reviewers and YouTube channels a chance.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I honestly think it is better that they do not ship early review copies. It gives the small reviewers and YouTube channels a chance.

It sounds to me like you have a channel yourself :D Although I do agree with you

anyways

the game was boring

most enemies i encountered required an entire clip to kill one of them (farcry 2 anyone?)

everything else was bland

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

TotalBiscuit did talk about why this is not such a big deal. It IS an online only game. Not much to do for a reviewer with noone on to play it. Usually there's day one patches and server setup stuff to do. Never play an online only game on release day.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Meh will probably get it once it comes to PC next year with 4k support.

Wouldn't be surprised if the halo collection came to PC once win 9 launches.

Consoles have been getting rusty this generation with only one standing firm. And lo and behold the only one holding strong is nintendo. I give it 2 more years until the only exclusives will be small indie games (not to say their bad) and first party games. At best they will fight for timed exclusivity.

I'm gonna say it now, destiny looks like a mediocre attempt by Activision to reenter the AAA buisness now that Cod has taken apart. To be fair, I love Kevin spacey, but that franchise will be done soon.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Just another overrated game whose publisher pays every game  journalist.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

Can someone explain to me why they would do this unless they expected the initial reviews to be bad?

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

For people who lack business acumen:  there is little reason for someone to review a product that the masses already believe to be of high quality.

For people who lack business acumen:  there is little reason for someone to review a product that the masses already believe to be of high quality.

Actually you're wrong. There's something very strongly to compel the business minded to review a product that the masses already believe to be of high quality:

Confirmation bias.

If they already KNOW a game to be good (even before it's out), then they'll be really happy when their favourite youtuber/game or tech news site agrees with them. You see how crazy some people get when Linus or TotalBiscuit agrees with their opinion.

Reviews for Destiny will inevitably get extremely high views, and therefore, lots o' that sweet sweet ad revenue money.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Confirmation bias.

Provided the reviews are good enough to confirm the hype... they won't be, and can't be, as the game is supposed to be a "10 year thing"

I was in the beta. I actually considered buyin it. Then I thought, waste of money to buy it for a potatobox 360. I'll wait for PC launch. (If it ever happens, this game would thrive on PC).

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

The only two reason I don't see a problem here is 1: its bungi and 2: there was an alpha and a beta. people have a good idea of what they're getting by this point.

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti