[Sweclockers] First look at the Asus x99 Rampage 5 Extreme

VSG

I still really like the red and black motherboard scheme, although I don't like all the flat VRM heatsinks

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

the m2 ssd slot seems to be at a wired place....

Only Asus chose that space for the m2 slot...

normally the ssd go in under the first pci-e but asus have put some kind of chip there, something to do with pci-e lanes i would say. maybe asus was thinking maybe you want to replace your ssd without taking your gpu out. imagine if it died and you had a waterloop on your gpu.

No right-angle 24-pin connector?! God damnit could just 1 or 2 high-end boards please put that in the design?! It's the last ugly cabling vestige left!

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No right-angle 24-pin connector?! God damnit could just 1 or 2 high-end boards please put that in the design?! It's the last ugly cabling vestige left!

evga

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.