Intel builds 'world's smallest' 3G modem

PillowSmoke

_77176745_677a8571-89e1-49b4-97af-0f3681

Intel has unveiled a 3G modem not much bigger than a UK penny or US one-cent coin, with the aim of embedding it in connected devices around the home.

The company says the XMM 6255, with an area of about 300 sq mm, is the world's smallest modem.

The standalone chip could be used in wearable tech, as well as security devices such as "smart" smoke alarms.

It is built to protect against overheating, and withstand tough conditions.

The modem also features an embedded power supply.

More than size

Sergis Mushell, a research director at analytics company Gartner, said the product signalled Intel's intent to gain a foothold in the mobile connectivity market.

"It's not just about the size of it," he told the BBC. "What Intel is really doing is going after a significant stake in the Internet of Things market, where connectivity is most important.

"Getting connectivity right is essential for their entire product portfolio," he added, referring to Intel's traditional business of making processors.

He added that "anything with a screen will need to have connectivity" and processors will have to be combined with secure, low-power, connectivity technologies.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

That is indeed fascinating. 

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

It's not the size that matters--it's how you use it.

This should be interesting to play around with. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

It's not the size that matters--it's how you use it.

That's just an excuse used by people with small modems. :P

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

this is indeed incredible. imagine all the stuff that this fits in man...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I don't get it... They are going to use this for things inside homes?

I'd say WiFi is a far better solution for that. That way you can centralize everything. Having one Internet connection for my massage chair and one Internet connection for my popcorn machine sounds unnecessarily complex. I think this would be far more suitable in motorcycle helmets, smart watches, Point-and-shoot cameras (possibly even a Go Pro camera) and stuff like that.

It's really impressive that they have made it so small.

I don't get it... They are going to use this for things inside homes?

I'd say WiFi is a far better solution for that. That way you can centralize everything. Having one Internet connection for my massage chair and one Internet connection for my popcorn machine sounds unnecessarily complex. I think this would be far more suitable in motorcycle helmets, smart watches, Point-and-shoot cameras (possibly even a Go Pro camera) and stuff like that.

It's really impressive that they have made it so small.

In a fire the internet could easily be lost (therefore no wifi) or the signal could be lost because the wifi router is where the fire is. The smoke detector can automatically use it's own wireless net to raise the alarm.

Same with alarm systems, imagine an alarm system that can operate without power (back up battery) or phone lines.  Just a little harder to bypass.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.