Is a 60GB SSD good enough for Windows and some small games?

Bradley

I am getting a 60GB SSD and I choose this over the 120GB option as I am on a REALLY tight budget and 120GB is not to much more than 60GB to be honest. But will I be able to get windows on there and maybe some small 1-5gbs games?

GeT_ReKt

Windows 7 64Bit SP1 freshly installed takes 20GB, so if you dont have a lot of games you should be ok, i would personally push the budget a little and go for a 120gb

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Yes

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Yes but its going to get full very soon

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

It is enough, but I would recommend saving up some more/waiting for a sale and going for 120GB. Get a HDD for games anyway (unless these small games take forever to load).

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Just get the 120gb...games are getting bigger and ssds are dirt cheap these days. You're not going to spend 250 dollars like I did years ago. When my old storage drive failed. It was hell skimping by on 111gb of space.

I am getting a 60GB SSD and I choose this over the 120GB option as I am on a REALLY tight budget and 120GB is not to much more than 60GB to be honest. But will I be able to get windows on there and maybe some small 1-5gbs games?

It is I guess, for windows and some few games. But imho it's not value for money. You can push the budget a little bit more and even get a 256gb.

Windows 7 64Bit SP1 freshly installed takes 20GB, so if you dont have a lot of games you should be ok, i would personally push the budget a little and go for a 120gb

I do have over 100 games but I am only going to put the slow loading ones on. I will try this SSD and if it is good I will get a 500GB one on christmas or something. I plan to have a really large HyperX SSD for games and this smaller 60GB Kingston one for Windows but for now I should be ok. I just could nto afford the extra £10 for the 120GB one :(

GeT_ReKt

Yes but its going to get full very soon

I will be carefull and manage my space.

GeT_ReKt

Jup, i got a 64 GB SSD for Windows and some large programs like Adobe Dreamweaver and Microsoft Visual Studio and more and i got like 10 GB left.

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Using Windows NTFS compression will save a few gigabytes.

Would that affect windows performance?

GeT_ReKt

Jup, i got a 64 GB SSD for Windows and some large programs like Adobe Dreamweaver and Microsoft Visual Studio and more and i got like 10 GB left.

Nice

GeT_ReKt

i wouldnt do this personally

I'd rather have a 1TB black drive, and sacrifice some speed

Looking for a job

DjDQfBM.png

mine takes 20gb wtf >:c

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I do have over 100 games but I am only going to put the slow loading ones on. I will try this SSD and if it is good I will get a 500GB one on christmas or something. I plan to have a really large HyperX SSD for games and this smaller 60GB Kingston one for Windows but for now I should be ok. I just could nto afford the extra £10 for the 120GB one :(

Be careful - the V300 SSDs are horrible 

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Be careful - the V300 SSDs are horrible 

Whys that?

GeT_ReKt

Whys that?

They changed their NAND to Asynchronous. Now you'll get barely more speed than a HDD in some cases, and you're paying only slightly less than other (far better) drives. There's a (horrible) reason why they're so cheap compared to other drives.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7763/an-update-to-kingston-ssdnow-v300-a-switch-to-slower-micron-nand

Honestly if I were you I'd save the extra 10-20 pounds over the next month or so just to get a better drive

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/internal-hard-drive/#sort=a9&t=0&i=25&S=80000,6000000

Here are a list of 128GB SSDs, and SanDisk starts at 12 pounds more than the 60GB Kingston one

Cost per GB for the MX100 is 41p, compared to the 58p of the Kingston V300

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

They changed their NAND to Asynchronous. Now you'll get barely more speed than a HDD in some cases, and you're paying only slightly less than other (far better) drives. There's a (horrible) reason why they're so cheap compared to other drives.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7763/an-update-to-kingston-ssdnow-v300-a-switch-to-slower-micron-nand

Honestly if I were you I'd save the extra 10-20 pounds over the next month or so just to get a better drive

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/internal-hard-drive/#sort=a9&t=0&i=25&S=80000,6000000

Here are a list of 128GB SSDs, and SanDisk starts at 12 pounds more than the 60GB Kingston one

Cost per GB for the MX100 is 41p, compared to the 58p of the Kingston V300

There was an Intel 40GB one but that was only SATA2

GeT_ReKt

Several things:

You'll find getting things to NOT install on C: is a bitch. I went to 60 gigs in a blink of an eye.

The 60gb are terrible drives spec speaking. They are the slowest by far and most are obsolete. As in you're buying new old stock. I don't think any major manufacturer/marketer makes them any more. 120 gb aren't really great either but far better than the 60's. The 240+ drives are where the good specs start.

Obviously if you can't afford an additional 10 euros then that's totally irrelevant. Use your drive well and save your pennies until you can get a good one. I'd recommend a Crucial MX100 256 gb as a minimum and combining that with a 7200 rpm hdd. You should be looking at somewhere around 200 euros for that combo and that should last you years.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

There was an Intel 40GB one but that was only SATA2

If you look at the price/GB it really doesn't make sense

Yeah what Dimwitted said you should get at least 120 for the Price/GB to make sense, and 256GB is the best value right now, but if you really, really can't then get a 60GB Transcend or SanDisk drive (Check the benchmarks on anything you buy though)

edit: -

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

• 9 years later...
On 8/24/2014 at 9:03 AM, Bradley said:

60GB is very small is you,re looking for Gaming. you need higher specs. try using Imdisk or buy a new disk for your Laptop. around 100 GB is good. don,t pick 128GB

On 8/24/2014 at 9:10 AM, Bradley said:

Would that affect windows performance?

Microsoft made NTFS, if it does I would imagine in a good way.