Is a 60GB SSD good enough for Windows and some small games?

Bradley

do they even sell 60gb ssds? I say stretch your budget and go for a 256gb, 60gb just isnt enough neither is 128gb

5 hours ago, RokinAmerica said:

This is a ten year old thread. I think he has made his decision by now.

You never know, maybe all this time later the OP is still on the fence.

I will never understand how in the hell people not only initially reply to a thread this old, but then more people continue to reply (ignoring people like us kinda being smartasses).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

On 8/24/2014 at 2:09 PM, Bradley said:

I do have over 100 games but I am only going to put the slow loading ones on. I will try this SSD and if it is good I will get a 500GB one on christmas or something. I plan to have a really large HyperX SSD for games and this smaller 60GB Kingston one for Windows but for now I should be ok. I just could nto afford the extra £10 for the 120GB one :(

i was running windows 10 on a 60gb kingston for years doing database mining type work. i also had steam installed and a few games downloaded. used an external 500gb platter for storing bigger file packs. worked absolutely fine; still have the original drive. i bought a budget laptop out of necessity at one point (a coda zest) which had the absolute minimum required to run windows 10; something like 2gb of ram (microsoft recommend 4) and ?25?gb of disk space. that was advertised as a windows 10 notebook but realistically that is far too low. as soon as windows had downloaded one or two update packs it began failing the updates as windows stores the previous packs and the only way to keep it working was to manually delete the previous updates. ultimately i ended up re-installing it with linux mint, which is pretty much a universal fix for low resource computers. 60gb should be fine if you're just using it for basic things. swapping from a platter to an ssd, even a smaller sata one, is one of the easiest, biggest, most affordable upgrades you can do; it'll massively improve boot/load times. i now have tbs of ssd that i'm using to store thousands of scans but have also tried numerous other combinations like raid arraying the drives etc. it's honestly not worth the trouble. the increase in boot/load times is barely noticeable but it also increases the complexity; e.g. going to boot or restart and getting messages about missing operating systems when it's temporarily forgotten how the raid array is arranged etc. 

you can get something like an adata 480gb ultimate su630 as low as about £30 atm, new. the 240gb model is £25 with free amazon prime delivery. if you've already got the 60gb drive, it'll work for just the os and some other things. if you're buying one new, £25 is tricky to beat. i've got the adata drives myself and they've been working no problems for years even in a fairly hot passively cooled setup, they're at about 65 degrees C atm.