Upgrade of the speakers on my desk

Askew

Hi all, I am currently using the Denon MS-50 speakers (they are really Mission speakers with a Denon brand mark) with my Denon UD-M30 receiver.

The speakers have a peculiar design that follows Mission's tendency to invert driver positioning in their cabinets, here is a stock image.

1a2164479c310442ff52e905f6e34bd8.png

They sound OK, of course lacking in bass and suffering from the effects of having very small drivers.

Yesterday I set up and used a pair of Audioengine 5 active speakers also on my desk, these exact ones. (of course after I cleaned them)

48908577fda7b9366944cb6c6c8a4cc6.png

The sound from these is more full and very flat, a nice sound that I'd only want to change ever so slightly if at all with a tickle of V shape tune, however I want to put them in another room for someone else, and pick a new set of speakers to use with my Denon receiver.

My budget is around £200GBP, can anyone help me pick a passive set of speakers with a sound that might be similar to the Audioengine pair?

I've had a look at active monitors and I like the look of some of them however the price is higher than I maybe need spend due to their inclusion of amplifiers. Perhaps a good passive pair of monitors would be ideal, I just have very limited experience with small speakers.

All input appreciated, thanks for viewing.

my  cousin wanted to buy  good speakers 

and at first i was like  buy the audio engine A5+ but then he said "i got like 600" then i said yeah F that  buy a pair of Yamaha HS7 

DAMN they sound great 

anyways

take a look at what Alesis has

they have pretty great monitors at a good price  

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I take it the slit at the bottom of the front of the cabinet is a bass port?

The actives had circular ports on the read, how much difference will this make to the sound of the bass when close to a wall?

Front ports just makes them easier to position, as you don't have to worry about distance from the wall as much.

Front ports just makes them easier to position, as you don't have to worry about distance from the wall as much.

Thanks, could you briefly tell me what the difference is between speakers described as 'monitor' or 'studio monitor' or 'near field' as opposed to speakers that are not?

Thanks, could you briefly tell me what the difference is between speakers described as 'monitor' or 'studio monitor' or 'near field' as opposed to speakers that are not?

Marketing.

B)

Generally "studio monitors" have balanced connections and are active, but there's no magic that goes into them. There's no standard measurements for near-field listening either. I bought a system at a garage sale that has a DVD player built into the receiver (so it's designed for watching TV at a distance) but I use it for near-field listening at my desk without issue.

Generally "studio monitors" have balanced connections and are active

Interesting, is it beneficial to have active speakers due to good matching of the amplifier to the drivers? Or is that simply a matter of convenience and less wires clutting up the joint?

Interesting, is it beneficial to have active speakers due to good matching of the amplifier to the drivers? Or is that simply a matter of convenience and less wires clutting up the joint?

A little bit of both probably. Most studio equipment tries to be completely independent from everything else in the room. Doesn't make much sense to have a passive speaker in a room where you're constantly plugging/unplugging things into different things.