SSDs in Raid 0 what should I get?

Goliath002

well I been looking to buy a new SSD and put that in a RAID 0 configuration, I already have an Corsair GTX Neutron SSD 250 GB alone for the OS

I been cheking the price drop on some SSDs and I just want to know what would be best to get

so far I been looking at the Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB or maybe get another Corsair Neutron Series GTX  120GB ?? I dont want to invest too much on this SSD I dont think a 256gb model would make a difference 

im just using this for the OS what you guys think?

If you're just using an SSD for faster boot times that's a complete waste of money.

The point of an SSD is to put your programs on it so that everything loads faster with less interruptions.

Are you seriously spending hundreds of dollars to make your PC boot 3 seconds faster...?

DO yourself a favour and buy a 250 or 500GB SSD and put all your stuff on it. Then it becomes worth your money.

Btw don't do raid, it causes way more problems that can't be justified by the faster speeds.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

really? so I ask for an advice and you just assume that I use the PC to turn it ON and OFF all the time, you dont even know what I do with my PC so if you just are going to be a butthead about it just go away man, what kind of stupid advice is that

I know that raid 0 will be as fast as your slowest ssd. So I would go for a SSD that has similar write/read speeds as your current ssd. 

also, to my understanding, to install raid0 you have to format both ssds. I may be wrong. 

| MOBO: Asus Z97-PRO | CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Asus R9 280 | Ram: 8gb Kingston Ram| PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 600W | CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 | 

Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5
  • Max Sequential Read
  • Up to 555 MB/s
  • Max Sequential Write
  • Up to 510 MB/s
  • 4KB Random Read
  • Up to 85,000 IOPS
  • 4KB Random Write
  • Up to 73,000 IOPS 
  • MTBF
  • 1,000,000 hours
  • $84.99

CORSAIR NEUTRON SERIES GTX 240GB
  • Sequential Read: Up to 550MB/s 
  • Sequential Write: Up to 470MB/s 
  • Random 4K Read: Up to 95K IOPs
  • Random 4K Write: Up to 85K IOPs

they are almost the same, the only difference is that corsair is a little more expensive for the 120gb model $109.99

really? so I ask for an advice and you just assume that I use the PC to turn it ON and OFF all the time, you dont even know what I do with my PC so if you just are going to be a butthead about it just go away man, what kind of stupid advice is that

He's not giving you stupid advice. When it comes to SSD performance and lifespan, RAID 0 causes more problems than it's worth sometimes.

If you're just using an SSD for faster boot times that's a complete waste of money.

The point of an SSD is to put your programs on it so that everything loads faster with less interruptions.

Are you seriously spending hundreds of dollars to make your PC boot 3 seconds faster...?

DO yourself a favour and buy a 250 or 500GB SSD and put all your stuff on it. Then it becomes worth your money.

Btw don't do raid, it causes way more problems that can't be justified by the faster speeds.

If you need a larger SSD, just get a larger SSD.

Git Gud.

Get another Corsair GTX Neutron SSD 250 GB. You will need to format both drives to put in a Raid0 configuration so make sure you have a good method of backing up both before and after.

You won't see much of an increase in real-world performance, but you will have 500GB of SSD storage.

BUILD LOGSSerious Black ] [ Project Lumos ] [ SrsB ]

Don't use RAID 0 for your boot drive, it spends a couple extra seconds initializing the RAID which actually adds to the boot time by a few seconds. Your bottleneck will probably be the CPU or something else on start up so I wouldn't you would see much improvement even without the couple of seconds extra I mentioned.

Hope that helps! 

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Raid 0 on SSDs is more for doing a butt-tonne of Reads and Writes, but this comes at the cost of a drives lifespan

Although, if you were doing enough writing to justify Raid 0, your drives lifespan probably isn't going to be very good anyway

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

I know that raid 0 will be as fast as your slowest ssd. So I would go for a SSD that has similar write/read speeds as your current ssd. 

also, to my understanding, to install raid0 you have to format both ssds. I may be wrong. 

RAID 0 won't be as slow as the slowest drive, your mistaking it for RAID 1.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

I've heard that using two different storage drive sizes for RAID 0 isn't the best solution. 

And while I cannot speak from experience or much knowledge, I do not believe that having a raid 0 solution will greatly increase boot times. 

I have heard that using a RAID 0 configuration will double most writes / reads, but think about how many times you copy huge files. Will speeding that process up by a miniscule time amount be worth adding another drive? It's up to you. 

In my opinion, it would be worth to save your money and invest in something else. 

Finally I see someone say it. I always get stuff like this because people don't know my situation. I have a WD Green planned on my build, and people always say "just get a blue". They don't know that I can fit all of my programs and user profiles onto a 250GB SSD. And they don't know that I've already bought the Green, even though I marked it as Purchased in the part list.

Goliath002, you're awesome.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.