Streaming vs CDs

Hey guys,

For a while I have been internally debating whether I should finally ditch CDs and stick to streaming services or stick with CDs.

Pros of CDs

- Can be ripped to lossless audio file formats

- Still sounds better

- No internet connection

- Still some CDs out there that cannot be found on streaming services

- No recurring subscriptions for use

- LYRIC SHEETS

- Reselling

Cons of CDs

- Sometimes not universally accessible

- Some CDs can only be copied a certain amount of times

- If you no longer need to use the CD because you copied it to various other devices all it does is take space

- Less portable

Pros of Streaming services

- Usually unlimited music for a set fee

- Some services work with multiple wireless speakers

- Cheaper overall cost

Cons of Streaming services

- No internet connection, no music

- You usually have to pay extra to download and even then, you still have to launch a client and you might not be able to copy it to multiple other devices

- No EQ

- Still can't match the audio quality of a lossless audio file.

What do you think guys? And if I were to convert to streaming services, which one is better; Google Play Music or Spotify?

Discuss...

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

Hey guys,

I use both, I have spotify which I use for new music, and if its a band I really like I buy their album and rip it to lossless and stream it via plex around my house :)

Or play the cd in my hifi/car

BTW Spotify has an offline more, both for phone and PC

Also google play music is great as you can store your own music for streaming

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I've found streaming services suck. I use them at work to try and listen to music since I don't feel like putting specific songs and bands on my phone and I am disappointed. When I choose a song specifically. I would like to hear that song, than show me things you think are similar. Not the other way around, majority of the time I hate all the suggestions too and run out of skips :P Awful experience. Also, the music can lag and skip quite frequently but somehow the Ads never miss a beat. Hmmmm.

I prefer flac files. While CD gives the highest quality, they are extremely fragile and a general pain to deal with if you have lots of music.

Spotify has an offline mode so you can download the songs to your device, you can change the settings to download the tracks in higher quality. The program/app is available for many devices: computers/smartphones etc. I have a free subscription to spotify from Vodafone and have been using it for a year now. Used to use iTunes and if given the choice I'd pay for spotify than go to iTunes.

Edit: you can also add music you already have eg CDs to your music list and copy those over to your phone etc.

Hey guys,

For a while I have been internally debating whether I should finally ditch CDs and stick to streaming services or stick with CDs.

Pros of CDs

- Can be ripped to lossless audio file formats

- Still sounds better

- No internet connection

- Still some CDs out there that cannot be found on streaming services

- No recurring subscriptions for use

- LYRIC SHEETS

- Reselling

Cons of CDs

- Sometimes not universally accessible

- Some CDs can only be copied a certain amount of times

- If you no longer need to use the CD because you copied it to various other devices all it does is take space

- Less portable

Pros of Streaming services

- Usually unlimited music for a set fee

- Some services work with multiple wireless speakers

- Cheaper overall cost

Cons of Streaming services

- No internet connection, no music

- You usually have to pay extra to download and even then, you still have to launch a client and you might not be able to copy it to multiple other devices

- No EQ

- Still can't match the audio quality of a lossless audio file.

What do you think guys? And if I were to convert to streaming services, which one is better; q

Google Play Music or Spotify?

Discuss...

Depends if you listen to a lot of mainstream music or not. 70 percent of my music can't be found on streaming services. Therefore it is pointless to me.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

I only use CDs. I cant stand having digital music. Not because it sounds worse, but because I like to show my music collection without having to open up my phone or boot up my PC. I also buy vinyl records too, maybe pricey, but I love the warmer sound they produce and with an old record player, they just make the music sound more alive. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I use both, I have spotify which I use for new music, and if its a band I really like I buy their album and rip it to lossless and stream it via plex around my house :)

Or play the cd in my hifi/car

Another valid point, but surely you could just use YouTube instead of Spotify seeing as you only really use it for two things? True, YouTube audio quality is twat burger but it would be cheaper nonetheless.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

Another valid point, but surely you could just use YouTube instead of Spotify seeing as you only really use it for two things? True, YouTube audio quality is twat burger but it would be cheaper nonetheless.

youtube is annoying, if i want to listen to a whole album its annoying, and takes up a ton of mobile phone battery! I would never listen to music on youtube, other than watching a few music videos

£10 a month is barely any money so the price really isnt a factor for me

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

CDs for the people I actually want to support (if their CDs end up somewhere I can buy them)...

Streaming for looking for the next thing to listen to...

'Streaming' if I want to keep listening to it even while on the go...

I use Spotify almost all the time but every now and then I'll buy a CD. For example Avenged Sevenfold's Waking the Fallen : Resurrected. However I will more than likely copy the songs from the disc and into my Spotify that way I always have access to it. While still keeping the CD in my car. That's the best way is to go with a mix of CD's and Spotify. I have all of my Spotify library downloaded to my phone and I just plug my phone into the car stereo and it works perfectly. It uses no data and no internet access seeing as I already have it downloaded on my phone. But when my phone is dead I still use CD's in the car. I have most of my favorite songs burned onto CD's and I keep those in the car for when my phone is dead, or when I'm driving someone else's car and their car stereo doesn't have a 3.5mm jack for an AUX cable.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

CD's seem entirely pointless to me IMO. The only physical media worth having is vinyl.

320 vs loseless on consumer speakers at healthy levels is practically the same.

CDs are only an inconvenience to me. If I ever get a CD I usually rip it and lose it under a pile somewhere.

Error: 410

I only use CDs. I cant stand having digital music. Not because it sounds worse, but because I like to show my music collection without having to open up my phone or boot up my PC. I also buy vinyl records too, maybe pricey, but I love the warmer sound they produce and with an old record player, they just make the music sound more alive. 

I agree on the vinyl front. Vinyl just sounds so much better than anything else. It makes the music sound a lot deeper which I love. I love listening to heavy metal on vinyl. It's so much deeper and fuller sounding.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

This completely neglects saved mp3 files: You can still get all those nice things like lyrics booklets and art but use your CD exactly once and keep it in pristine condition. HDDs and flash memory are both cheap enough that it doesn't matters if you're offline, even your smartphone can likely hold most if not all of your collection.

-------

Current Rig

-------

45de08a40e3bb1a105d58776b055908e.png

What if you're Bruce Willis and require several 64GB iPods to hold your music collection? On another note, who the hell is cultured enough to know of enough artists to use up several hundred gigabytes worth of tunes?

What if you're Bruce Willis and require several 64GB iPods to hold your music collection? On another note, who the hell is cultured enough to know of enough artists to use up several hundred gigabytes worth of tunes?

Me ignorant people like you shouldn't be on this forum... Imo...I have close to an terabyte of music and that's just cause I ran out of space on my laptop. My. Last desktop had over 2tb worth of music.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

I have a ridiculous amount, I am the minority but the prospect of choosing which music I'd restrict to even 64GB is horrifying.

I have a ridiculous amount, I am the minority but the prospect of choosing which music I'd restrict to even 64GB is horrifying.

Exactly.

Me ignorant people like you shouldn't be on this forum... Imo...I have close to an terabyte of music and that's just cause I ran out of space on my laptop. My. Last desktop had over 2tb worth of music.

Don't take this the wrong way (although I suppose there's no right way to take it, just remember that this isn't personal we're just shooting the shit here) but you're tasteless: If you can't fit your non-lossless music collection in 100gb or less then you definitely need radio or streaming because you have no taste and just listen to too much variety.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Don't take this the wrong way (although I suppose there's no right way to take it, just remember that this isn't personal we're just shooting the shit here) but you're tasteless: If you can fit your non-lossless music collection in 100gb or less then you definitely need radio or streaming because you have no taste and just listen to too much variety.

Wow I don't even have words for that one, you sir are a prick. And FYI I listen to rock rap and 90 percent of collection is shit that wouldn't dare be played on the radio. Shit you dream of listening to.

Don't take this the wrong way (although I suppose there's no right way to take it, just remember that this isn't personal we're just shooting the shit here) but you're tasteless: If you can't fit your non-lossless music collection in 100gb or less then you definitely need radio or streaming because you have no taste and just listen to too much variety.

But yea just cause you know of what is out there doesn't limit me to the same boundaries you are restricted to. My underground music is so large that I can go for several years and not hear the same song twice.

So how did we go from a discussion about Streaming and CDs to some guy being a douche to everyone in the thread? Back on topic plox.