Network layout showoff

Ssoele
4 hours ago, RicenShine said:

Noob: why is there so many DNS? Isn't one enough?

The tone/meaning of this question is unclear. Was this a rhetorical question, presented from the perspective of a noob, as an inside joke for people who know the answer? Or is this a serious question that you are asking as a noob?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

52 minutes ago, brwainer said:

The tone/meaning of this question is unclear. Was this a rhetorical question, presented from the perspective of a noob, as an inside joke for people who know the answer? Or is this a serious question that you are asking as a noob?

Serious question from noob

1 hour ago, RicenShine said:

Serious question from noob

If you only have one DNS and it goes down, then the computers using it are effectively offline completely. So inside a private network you should always run two DNS servers - and if Active Directory or similar is being used, you want more than one domain server anyway, because like backups “two is one and one is none”.

Outside of a private network, or even for some very large companies, a specific DNS IP, like 8.8.8.8 for Google, doesn’t actually go to a single server but rather to dozens or hundreds or thousands of servers across the globe, using a method called Anycast. This is partially for redundancy purposes, but also to decrease latency to the user and to spread out the load and traffic amongst many datacenters. But even then they’ll have a second IP, like 8.8.4.4 for Google, that goes to a completely separate set of servers. If soemthing happens to the nearest server for the primary IP, the network won’t realize this quickly, and will keep sending your traffic to it, so having the second IP going to a different server keeps you the user un-impacted.

DNS is profoundly important. When there’s a DNS issue, to most users its the same as their ISP having a complete outage.

On 4/6/2021 at 10:17 PM, brwainer said:

If you only have one DNS and it goes down, then the computers using it are effectively offline completely. So inside a private network you should always run two DNS servers - and if Active Directory or similar is being used, you want more than one domain server anyway, because like backups “two is one and one is none”.

Outside of a private network, or even for some very large companies, a specific DNS IP, like 8.8.8.8 for Google, doesn’t actually go to a single server but rather to dozens or hundreds or thousands of servers across the globe, using a method called Anycast. This is partially for redundancy purposes, but also to decrease latency to the user and to spread out the load and traffic amongst many datacenters. But even then they’ll have a second IP, like 8.8.4.4 for Google, that goes to a completely separate set of servers. If soemthing happens to the nearest server for the primary IP, the network won’t realize this quickly, and will keep sending your traffic to it, so having the second IP going to a different server keeps you the user un-impacted.

DNS is profoundly important. When there’s a DNS issue, to most users its the same as their ISP having a complete outage.

I thought that DNS was something I have to register with cloudflare/google or a known DNS provider needs to be done. Not that I have to host my own DNS.

I actually thought the DNS was for pihole blocker type something, but this was informative thanks!

7 hours ago, RicenShine said:

I thought that DNS was something I have to register with cloudflare/google or a known DNS provider needs to be done. Not that I have to host my own DNS.

I actually thought the DNS was for pihole blocker type something, but this was informative thanks!

If you want to have your own domain, and point that at some place, then yes you need to have some DNS server somewhere be “authoritative” for your domain, meaning it is the one true source of information. And again, frequently there will be two-four. This can be provided by the company you buy the domain from, or it can be someone else, or you can even host it yourself.

The reason to host local DNS for your internal clients to use for lookups is either because you want to have internal/private domain names (servers within a company or a house), you want to filter the DNS responses, or you want the slight privacy improvement and bandwidth reduction of having just one device in your network making the actual DNS lookups on behalf of all the others and caching the results.

On 4/11/2021 at 5:05 AM, Grumpy Old Man said:

Almost everything is already except I need two NUC11

2046142227_NetworkPlanA.thumb.png.d1210f831339b54ad88adf4fdac945bb.png

That cat fight is painful...  >_<

• 1 month later...

image.thumb.png.246128c4e4f90737d0b4243e738d2ee5.png
Here is mine, just the wired part, wireless is kinda pointless as it is just a list of devices I own. 🙂 I could use some recommendations for a good 10Gbit network card 😉  Already got one.

• 1 month later...

mspaint_U0jLerJYmT.thumb.png.8b047d0e8314e8f596a1faa85063ddaf.png
No subscription services for me or my friends & family >_>

3 hours ago, BananaBoat said:

mspaint_U0jLerJYmT.thumb.png.8b047d0e8314e8f596a1faa85063ddaf.png
No subscription services for me or my friends & family >_>

That's a nice service flow diagram, but this thread is more about the physical and internetworking side. Router, switch(es), AP(s), where the ISP and server connect into; is it all 1Gb? Any 10Gb? Using any non-ethernet connection methods (powerline, MoCA)?

• 1 month later...

I don't think mine is quite as elaborate as everyone else's. Also don't have any redundancy for if a point fails... though I'm not running anything too mission critical that I can't just run to a store and pickup a new switch.

Not pictured are the wireless devices.

The Bedroom access point has a bathroom heater, air purifier and an Amazon Echo Show.

I also have a Macbook, iPhone, iPad, and Windoze laptop which connect to either access point, depending where I'm at in the house.

Network Layout.png

• 2 months later...

Here's my current network - end devices not shown because it starts becoming too cluttered and such, but here's a quick rundown of the networking gear:

• Netgear M5300-28GF3 Layer 3 Core

45U 2-Post rack for networking and HA equipment:

• Netgear M4300-28G-PoE connected to patch panel
  • Netgear M4100-26G connected to patch panel
  • Netgear WC7600v2
  • Netgear M4100-D12G connected to the various HA devices in the rack

45U 2-Post rack for AV equipment:

• Netgear M4100-26G for devices in that rack

25U 4-post rack for servers:

• Two stacked Netgear M4300-12X12F for primary server connectivity
  • Netgear M4100-26G for OOBM and as a secondary cluster communication switch

Garage:

• Netgear M4100-D12G-PoE for cameras

Access points:

• Two WAC720 for garage and basement
  • Three WAC730 for main house coverage

Gateway:

• Cisco RV340

image.thumb.png.1eb0393076e11650c2335791f39264d3.png

• 3 weeks later...

Started expanding my home network during the pandemic and got a little carried away with vlans. need to prune it a bit...

homenetwork.drawio.png

• 3 months later...

ISP: Frontier Fiber 500/500
ONT: Motorola ONT1000GJ2
Router(s): ASUS ZenWifi AX1200 XD4 Mesh Network *I have three, but only two are needed in our current apartment
Switch: TP-Link TL-SG108 unmanaged Gigabit switch

I have both primary computers in the apartment connected to the switch, as well as my NAS, the other mesh node for ethernet backhaul, our Apple TV, and our Philips Hue Bridge. 

Our other devices utilize the wifi from either of the mesh devices depending on where we are in the apartment. 

Potential upgrades: In our next apartment we are looking to possible upgrade our system to a multigig infrastructure, so 2.5g wan and lan on routing, switching, etc. Primarily for the home network, as I am pretty sure we will only go up to Gig fiber speeds from the ISP side (we just do not have a functional usecase for more at the moment). 

I've been looking into Ubiquiti or TP Link Omada and there's a lot of neat stuff out there, but everything I want to do either costs too much to do exactly as I want with those companies or I don't get exactly what I want for a price I'm willing to pay; alas, I will continue using consumer grade stuff. 

network diagram.png

Computers

Spoiler

Home Desktop: [CPU] AMD Ryzen 9 5900X [MB] ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING WIFI II [RAM] G.Skill Trident-Z Neo 32GB 3600MHz (2x16GB) [GPU] ASUS TUF Radeon 6900XT [BOOT] Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVME [STORAGE] Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB SSD; Inland Performance Plus 1TB (Phison E18) PCIe Gen 4x4 [AIO] Corsair H150i ELITE CAPELLIX (Arctic MX-4 Thermal Paste) [PSU] Corsair RM850X; Corsair Pro PSU Cable Kit [CASE] Lian Li O11-Dynamic [MOUNT] EK-Loop Vertical GPU Holder (PCIE 3.0 Riser Cable) [FANS] Corsair ML120 (3x); Corsair LL120 (3x); Noctua A12x15 (3x); Corsair Commander Pro XT Fan/RGB Controller
-----
Work Desktop: [CPU] AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT [MB] Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite Wifi [RAM] G.Skill Trident-Z Neo 32GB 3600MHz (2x16GB) [GPU] EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 XC Ultra [BOOT] Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB NVME [STORAGE] WD Black 2TB HDD [PCIE] ASUS PCE-C2500 2.5G Base-T [AIO] NZXT Kraken X63 (Arctic MX-4 Thermal Paste) [PSU] Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850w [CASE] NZXT H510 Flow [FANS] NZXT Aer P 140mm (2x); Noctua NF-P12 Redux 120mm (2x); NZXT Fan/RGB Controller
-----
Laptop: MAINGEAR ELEMENT (2019) [CPU] Intel i7-9750H [RAM] Kingston HyperX 32GB 2666MHz (2x16GB) [BOOT] 2TB Intel 660p NVME [GPU] Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q [DISPLAY] 15.6" 1080p 144hz Display

Peripherals, Network, Desk Setup

Spoiler

Peripherals: [MONITOR] LG 32GK650F-B* | Dell P2417H (2x) [M] Razer Naga Pro* | Razer Naga Trinity [KB] See Custom Mechanical Keyboards Section [HEADPHONES] Sennheiser HD600; Sennheiser HD560S; HiFiMan HE400SE; AKG K371; Moondrop Kato IEM [DAC/AMP] SMSL DO100 DAC*; SMSL HO100 AMP*; Schiit Fulla E DAC/AMP; Schiit Asgard 3 AMP; Schiit Modius E DAC [MIC] Blue Yeti Nano [TECHPACK] MAINGEAR Classic Backpack
Note: In cases with multiple entries for parts, * Denotes Home Desktop Peripheral
-----
Network: [ISP] AT&T Fiber 1GB/1GB [ROUTER] ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 XT8 AiMesh Network (2x) [SWITCH] Netgear GS110MX 10 Port Unmanaged Switch [NAS] Asustor AS5202T 2 Bay NAS 8TB RAID 1; Iron Wolf Pro 4TB HDD (2x) [CABLES] Various CAT6A [SECURITY] Blink Outdoor Camera with Sync Module (64GB USB Flash) [SMART SPEAKER] Apple HomePod Mini (2x) [AUTOMATION] Philips Hue Bridge [LIGHTING] Hue Color Ambiance A19/E26 (5x); Hue White Ambiance A19/E26 (12x)
-----
Desk Setup: [DESK] Steelcase Series 9000 Desk with Left Pedestal [Chair] Steelcase Gesture (Black)

Custom Mechanical Keyboards

Spoiler

CannonKeys Rekt 1800 (black): [SWITCHES] 63g T1 [LUBE] Tribosys 3204 [FILMS] Thicc Films [PLATE] FR4 [STABS] Zeal [KEYCAPS] Novelkeys Cherry Taro

CannonKeys Rekt 1800 (white): [SWITCHES] 65g Dark Amber T1 [LUBE] Tribosys 3204 [FILMS] Deskey [PLATE] FR4 [STABS] Durock V2 [KEYCAPS] CannonKeys CXA BoW

Monstargear Sangeo60 WKL (black): [SWITCHES] 62g Alpacas [LUBE] Tribosys 3204 [FILMS] Deskey [PLATE] FR4 [STABS] Staebies [KEYCAPS] GMK Dracula
Decent65 (black): [SWITCHES] 63.5g (two-stage) Neopolitan [LUBE] Tribosys 3204 [FILMS] Deskey [PLATE] Alu [STABS] Durock V2 [KEYCAPS] GMK WoB

CannonKeys Obliterated75SE (Grey/Lilac): [SWITCHES] 63g T1 switches [LUBE] Tribosys 3204 [FILMS] Deskey [PLATE] FR4 [STABS] Durock V2 [KEYCAPS] NicePBT Sugarplum
KBDFans Tofu60 (black): [SWITCHES] 63.5g NK Creams [LUBE] Krytox 205g0 [FILMS] N/A [PLATE] Brass [STABS] Cherry Screw-in [KEYCAPS] EPBT WoB (ABS)
KBDFans KBD67Lite R1 (PolyCarb): [SWITCHES] NK Silk Yellows [LUBE] N/A [FILMS] N/A [PLATE] FR4 [STABS] Cherry Screw-in [KEYCAPS] EPBT ModernJA (PBT)
KBDFans KBDPADMKII (Silver): [SWITCHES] 62g Alpacas [LUBE] N/A [FILMS] N/A [PLATE] Polycarb [STABS] Durock V2 Alpaca Edition [KEYSCAPS] NicePBT BoW w/ Blush accents
IN GROUP BUY PIPELINE:
AKB Aella (E-White)
CannonKeys Balance (Black/Silver)

Entertainment

Spoiler

Home: [TV] Samsung Q80A 55” 4K QLED [AUDIO] Sony HT-G700 3.1 Soundbar & Subwoofer [STREAM] AppleTV 4K (2021) [TABLET] 11" iPad Pro 128GB (2021); Apple Pencil Gen 2 [PHONE] iPhone 12 Mini [CONSOLE] Nintendo Switch Lite

• 1 month later...

Updated network:

I have 3 domains within my environment:

1. Netgear VLAN 21 (IP 10.1.21.0/24) 
  2. HP VLAN 22 (IP 10.1.22.0/24)
  3. Cisco 3750 - VLANS 172 & 20 (IPs 172.16.0.0/16 10.1.20.0/24)
  4. Cisco 2960C-LL is used for outbound traffic
  5. Cisco ASA 5506-X Firewall used for my AnyConnect VPN
  6. Lenovo PC is the ESXi host 6.5  - VMs I have 4 (2 running on this host and one running on a dedicated ESXi host) DCs for domain, and 3 (1 on the dedicated ESXi Host) for the others. Kemp loadmaster, and Email filter (Proxmox Mail Gateway)
  7. Lenovo Tiny is the Exchange Host
  8. Dell PE R210 II is the SCCM Host

Not pictured is my HP Microsoft Server Gen8 is my physical DC Running 2019.

Any questions please ask away. 🙂

Spoiler

Network.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

There have been some changes for my network.

• Setup PFESNSE to handle the OpenVPN Peer-to-Peer VPN - No longer using Hamachi VPN.
  • Setup DFS-R between my on prem fileserver and my dedicate fileserver.
  • Setup Internet Printing, allowing me to print from anywhere.
  • Additional VLANs -  VLAN 24 (10.1.24.0/24) Remote management iLO and IDRAC, VLAN 25 (10.1.25.0/24 for ISCSI target).

Edited by Sir Asvald

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Figured i would throw in my layout. Simple layout, all done in Cat 6A Ethernet. Its enough to keep everything running smoothly, and avoid bottlenecks.

I need to add a proper Pihole at some point!

Home Layout.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

Still struggling to find the right kit, but this is what I'm trying to grow my dumb all-in-one modem/router into over the next couple months (possibly with some PoE security cams and another AP one day).

2.5Gbps over Cat 8 everywhere (Gigabit line in, but I intend to upgrade that)

1521546934_networklayoutplan.thumb.png.0031d2444366265e3f8a5d0e64a7664b.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 3:27 PM, FlyScript said:

Still struggling to find the right kit, but this is what I'm trying to grow my dumb all-in-one modem/router into over the next couple months (possibly with some PoE security cams and another AP one day).

2.5Gbps over Cat 8 everywhere (Gigabit line in, but I intend to upgrade that)

1521546934_networklayoutplan.thumb.png.0031d2444366265e3f8a5d0e64a7664b.png

Well a wireless AP probably doesn't have router turned on. So the router controls routing for all the network.

here's my home network setup, currently.

everything works good, just wondering if there's any improvements I can look into ( I know upgrading to cat6 min for hardwire, but holding off on that until I move next year, as that'll be a more long term place, I will optimize it)

1566000203_HomeNetworksetup.thumb.jpg.42c7e263ab0a561409eb357ba29af40f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have my own network yet, but I saw my cousins.

Router is installed in basement.
One really long ethernet cable goes up 2 flights of stairs to his xbox.

I'd like to maybe set something up like Luke's system or 8-bit guy's.

Here is my network diagram, significate changes:

image.thumb.png.641c18b8cdf02b0a78a6cb021888a9a1.png

• 1 month later...

image.thumb.png.9e3c3fd7df431da9cd0d044a36252c49.png

Whew, here we go

I've got one pfSense router, running on a Dell R320 with 32GB of RAM and a 6 Core CPU, the most important part is it has a Chelsio S320 NIC in it. The nice thing about Chelsio is that it can handle the full stack. The CPU (almost) never needs to get involved. Which means I can pull full 10Gbps line rate to the internet, even with 400+ firewall rules and 6 VLANS, with a complete /26 network of addresses routed to my network (64 addresses) speaking of which:

Networks:

MAIN - home network for trusted devices, can talk to remote

REMOTE - offsite at a data center location, these servers provide HA and stuff. useful, and nice to have my dns and stuff in a separate location so even if most everything here crashes, the alt router can take over everything while I sort the mess.

GUEST - open portal to the internet, isolated from the network completely, I live next to a park and have an AP pointing that way so people can use it, plenty do.

IOT - locked down, when a new device joins it connects and gets the DMZ IP, which allows it to talk openly to the internet BUT it is completely recorded with a port replication and a wireshark, I look at the packets, figure out what it needs and give it access to only what I deem acceptable.

FRIENDS - separate networks for friends to host servers, I let my friends put servers and systems in, and I give them VLANs with a public IP and a /28 network for their hosts.

RETRO - extremely locked down VLAN with no access to the internet, only can talk to my workstations, in case i feel like playing winXP solitaire, or some DOS games.

Switches:

LIGHTNING: Extreme Networks Summit X670-48x (48 10Gbps SFP+ Ports)

PLASMA: Extreme Networks Summit X450e-48p (48 1Gbps RJ-45 PoE Ports)

TORNADO: Nokia 7210 SAS-S 48F4SFP+-1 (48 1Gbps SFP Ports + 4 10Gbps SFP+ Ports)

HAIL: Nokia 7210 SAS-T 12F10T 4XFP-1 (12 1Gbps SFP Ports + 10 1Gbps RJ-45 Ports + 4 10Gbps XFP Ports)

THUNDER: MikroTik CSS610-8G-2S+IN (8 1Gbps RJ-45 Ports + 2 10Gbps SFP+ Ports)

HURRICANE: Ubiquiti US-XG-6PoE (4 10Gbps RJ-45 PoE Ports + 2 10Gbps SFP+ Ports)

OMNI: Dell Powerconnect 6248 (44 1Gbps RJ-45 Ports + 4 1Gbps Hybrid Fiber/Copper Ports)

Network VLANS enter on either lightning, or plasma, and cascade where they need to go, servers all talk through the nokia switches, and edge devices go through the Extreme Networks Switches, it's not hard and fast, and I like to lab things up, which is why i have so many ports, I'll do work from home and bring dozens of APs to validate or whatever.

Workstations:

YREL - My main gaming box: Ryzen 9 5900x | 64GB DDR4 3600MHz | RX 6900 XT

VALKYRIE - My Render Machine, and Beanbag gaming box: 2x Xeon E5-2667 v3 | 128GB DDR4 2133MHz | Quadro RTX 5000

PUSHEEN - Wife's Machine: i7-5820K | 32GB DDR4 2400MHz | GTX 970

Servers:

RARITY: 1x Xeon Silver 4100 | 128GB DDR4 2133Mhz

RESONANCE: 2x Xeon E5-2690 v3 | 128GB DDR4 2133Mhz

ZELDA: 2x Xeon E5-2690 v3 | 128GB DDR4 2133Mhz

2A: 2x Xeon E5-2650 v2 | 64GB DDR3 1333MHz

2B: 2x Xeon E5-2650 v2 | 64GB DDR3 1333MHz

RETRO: 2x Xeon E5405 | 64GB DDR2 667MHz

Power:

6x 2200VA Cyberpower UPS'
I can run all of this gear in two segments, in case of complete power failure the hypervisors will remain up for 1 hour, the network gear will stay up for 3 hours. All the APs in the house (except one) are powered from the PoE switch here, and the other is upstairs on the Ubiquiti PoE switch, which has it's own 5 hour UPS. All of this ties back to the UTOPIA Fiber network, which is my employer, and I know we have generators at all sites from my home to internet core. When the power goes out, in general, internet stays up.

some proof lol, the security camera anyways.

image.png.04ec66fe0643d88b41dc7ab3e623aaf5.png

vSphere Cluster - 72 Cores - 512GB Memory - 6TB SSD RAW - 42TB HDD RAW - vSphere 7

resonance - Dell PowerEdge R730xd - 2x Intel E5-2667 v3 - 128GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz - NVIDIA RTX 5000 - 2x250GB Samsung 870 Pro - 2x1100W 80+ Plat - ESXi 7.0U3

kat - Dell PowerEdge R630 - 2x Intel E5-2690 v3 - 256GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz - NVIDIA TESLA P4 - 500GB PNY SSD - 4x1TB Crucial SSD - 2x750W 80+ Plat - ESXi 7.0U3

starlifter - Dell PowerEdge R720 - 2x Intel E5-2650 v2 - 96GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz - 2xNVIDIA GTX 970 + 1050Ti - 500GB SSD - 7x6TB HGST HDD - 2x1100W 80+ Plat - ESXi 7.0U3

ion - Dell PowerEdge R620 - 2x Intel E5-2650 v2 - 32GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz - NVIDIA QUADRO M2000 - 2x250GB Samsung 870 Pro -2x750W 80+ Plat - ESXi 7.0U3

Main Rig

Intel i7-5820K @ 4.6GHz

MSI X99S Krait SLI Edition

32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 @ 2400MHz

Aorus GTX 1080Ti Waterforce Xtreme

Intel 280GB 900p

512GB Crucial NvMe

512GB Samsung 860 Evo

EVGA Supernova 850 G2

Thermaltake Core P5

On 8/17/2014 at 7:24 AM, Ssoele said:
  • You must have a proper network diagram; Something made in Microsoft Visio, Gliffy (Free) or something similar.

Gliffy is no longer free, so I use Lucidchart.  Works well for network diagrams after adding some shape libraries, although I can't get the image export to include background color boxes ("hotspots").

Here's my network diagram:

spacer.png

About my network:

• I installed the ER-X to support failover between primary and 5G modem - Failover wizard was easy to use with moderate networking knowledge
    • After my other configuration adventures, I got it to not bottleneck modem traffic as long as I don't set smart queue QoS on download activities.
  • Both switches are managed, and provide auto QoS using 802.1p/DSCP. Because of their placement, it makes QoS at the router level seen much less relevant
    • TP Link switch provide more physical ports than the Gryphon Router, and mitigates bottlenecking other connections during backups to NAS
    • Netgear switch exists because I could only run one networking cable to that location
  • There may be a double NAT given "Primary Modem (not a router bundle) -> ER-X -> Gryphon Router" and a triple NAT given the path of "5G Modem (+integrated routing) -> ER-X -> Gryphon Router", but throughput and connectivity haven't been an issue for my primary use cases (4K streaming, downloads, some uploads, light online PC gaming) since they don't seem to require specific port forwarding.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Edited by NobleGamer
Updated network details

image.png.ae278f7b532eac3574b9b74df5fafef9.png

This is the final plan for my work in progress.  Everything on the chart is done except for the SW3_1 and WAP2 as I'm not entirely convinced I need them yet.  Spent the last week reworking my incoming 'hub' using a WallControl board and customizing 3D printable accessories you can find on this project:

GitHub - aderusha/DDD-Printable-Wall-Control-System: DDD Printable Wall Control System, 3d printable organization solutions for Wall Control pegboards

It was as simple as downloading the base model, measuring up the hole distances for the wall mount hooks, and adding attachment nubs to each of the surfaces.  Add in some Magnetic cable tie mounts and you have a simple, completely customizable pegboard layout.  The hardest part was waiting for the Ender3 to print all this up.  

From Top Left:  Fiber ONT  (Active), Surfboard Cablemodem (Available as backup if needed), iBase Edgedevice using pfSense,

Bottom Left: ScreenBeam Bonded 2.5 MOCA adapter for reaching the rest of the house, TL-SG108PE connecting everything together and powering WAP1.  

image.thumb.png.cfcc900803c9f8be44848b295b90e244.png

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T