This just occurred to me - How to correctly Pronounce GIF [w/ Poll]

su6iDFe.gif

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

Never knew that? You people surprise me sometimes...

There are actually quite a few words in English that have the G sounds like a J, because English is a stupid language xD

gesture was the one i could think of atm :P

I think its more common in names though...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The dude who invented it said it's pronounced 'JIF' like the g in 'giraffe'

But when certain things catch on in this world, they can't be reversed, thus why gif is pronounced 'gif'

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

das is un wrongen, de mekker of dem GIFs, says it is pronounced JIF.

Although, I don't give a flying saxaphone player and say it like GIFT, without the T.

Is it odd that I read that, and mentally heard clarkson saying all of it?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Is it odd that I read that, and mentally heard clarkson saying all of it?

No, everything I read today is in Clarkson's voice. 

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

It's pronounced "GIF"

If it was JIF it would be Jraphics Interchange Format.

Thats exactly what I was going to say. But someone told me bjork is actually pronounced "byerk" so what do I know.

If someone wants it pronounced jif, it should be spelt jif. The internet isnt like those new fangled talkies. But I say if 90% or more people call it GIF... then you sir (a la creator), fucked up.

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

G.I.F. thats how I say it. GEE EYE EF

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Gif (like gift) 4 life. If he wanted it to sound like peanut butter, he should have come up with a different word to put in first.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

Add a pole to this topic PLEASE!

you got it.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Well guess what they should have care about it more earlier cause now that's not how its pronounced I'm sad to say.

I've always considered someone who uses the phrase "end of story" to be an asshole. There is no end of story. Having that arrogance removes the right to tell whatever the story is.

Likewise, whenever I hear this long-dead and rotting shamble of an argument, I see the same thing. Someone quoting the creators, thinking that will immediately put things to rest, just because. Except that's not an answer. That's not good enough. They do not get to decide simply because they possess the illusion of choice.

When your argument can be summarized with the sentence, "Because they said so", it's not an argument. That is why I don't care for what the creators say.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

pronounce it

CAKE

remove the e, and then pronounce it

CAK

English is messed up

Would that be cak, or cock?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs