@People who have tried/own oculus headsets

Sammael

I have a question.

Are you more interested in playing games with this headset or seeing movies/tv?

The reason I ask is because while I am interested in playing games, I REALLY want my own personal imax sized display at home.  And seeing as I don't have tens of millions of dollars to build my own personal theater, this seems like the only way to get that experience.

So how is it for movies?  Would it be more beneficial to have separate headsets focused on gaming vs media?

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

We see great potential for RPGs (and similar) with the Rift, other games will not make much sense... A huge array of simulator games will pop up as well, and I guess those could be fun for a while. But it's definitely not for movies.

Cheers,

Linus

We see great potential for RPGs (and similar) with the Rift, other games with not make much sense... A huge array of simulator games will pop up as well, and I guess those could be fun for a while. But it's definitely not for movies.

That sounds like movies don't look right.  I was hoping when they get the right resolution panels in there it could mimic and surpass one of those large science center class imax screens.  That is the dream.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

That sounds like movies don't look right.  I was hoping when they get the right resolution panels in there it could mimic and surpass one of those large science center class imax screens.  That is the dream.

Maybe if they up the comfort a bit, and quadruple the resolution... You can't wear them long enough to watch a movie sadly; The headset will become gross from all the sweat, and your eyes will be very strained—The chromatic aberration on the current gen Rift is insane

Cheers,

Linus

actually if you guys heard of Sowrd Art Online which is a japanese anime

it shows a similar technology of the Rift 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Maybe if they up the comfort a bit, and quadruple the resolution... You can't wear them long enough to watch a movie sadly; The headset will become gross from all the sweat, and your eyes will be very strained—The chromatic aberration on the current gen Rift is insane

And by current you are talking about the second gen dev kit not the original one?

And by current you are talking about the second gen dev kit not the original one?

The most recent one, DK2.

Cheers,

Linus

i would say both

as soon as CV1 comes with 1440p

ill fire up MPC-HC with madVR  and play fifth element :)

hope 4k blurays would be ready at that time

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

actually if you guys heard of Sowrd Art Online which is a japanese anime

it shows a similar technology of the Rift 

you're kidding right? the Nerve Gear taps into your muscle movements and disables you from moving, it intercepts the signals from your brain and uses them in game xD

you're kidding right? the Nerve Gear taps into your muscle movements and disables you from moving, it intercepts the signals from your brain and uses them in game xD

well i did say it was quite similar

who knows what the next gen Rift could be

it will be cool if the device is like SAO units

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

well i did say it was quite similar

who knows what the next gen Rift could be

it will be cool if the device is like SAO units

do you not remember what happened in the anime? dude cmon ;P

a common thing in garry's mod is virtual movie theaters, which can play movies from youtube or locally,

plus, gmod supports occulus.

I have one, wanted it for watching movies on a big screen with the Movie theater experience tech demo. It works well but after the facebook acquisition I haven't used it. If anyone is interested I'll sell it. If not it will just set on my shelf and become another internet relic.