Windowless jet uses screens to make interior transparent

Marvzl1357

Hullo, (first news post)

The IXION windowless jet—which makes its interior transparent using display panels that cover most of the cabin—might look like an impossible sci-fi concept but the fact is that we are not very far from this

The concept airplane interior—created by Technicon Design—uses external cameras to capture a 360-degree panoramic view of the exterior, which is adjusted for perspective and displayed on the cabin's walls. The illusion of transparency, however, would not be perfect as it won't appear to be three-dimensional. It would fell like animated wallpaper with current displays.

Source: http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/08/this-awesome-windowless-jet-makes-its-fuselage-transparent-using-displays/

(video in source)

Well, not exactly tech news, but the idea is pretty cool.

As one of the comments said in the source, windows are a major structural weakness in most airplanes, especially small ones. 

So basically removing windows=stronger structural integrity (?)

While cool, I seriously doubt it would be very enjoyable to be inside with the outside being displayed on the inside.

Why do I think this?

well, case 1. lean into the window to have a better view of the outside. Won't work, because...well screens just don't quite work that way

case 2. if the whole thing was projecting the outside, imagine the parallax weirdness it would cause. 

case 3. 3d issues

it would be pretty enjoyable if it wasn't a representation of the outside at all, but like a slideshow of whatever cool images. 

Nonetheless, if they manage to build this properly, i.e. somehow track every single person's head and eye movement so that parallax doesn't become an issue, and get the resolution of each panel high enough so you won't notice each pixel even upon close inspection, then it would be pretty cool................................ and only available for the rich  :mellow:

well, if anyone thinks this isn't worthy of being on the news section tell me and I'll get a mod to delete it

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

I WANT ONE

Seriously that is a cool concept

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I WANT ONE

Seriously that is a cool concept

Good luck affording one ! :P

There seriously needs to be no lag between what the screen displays and what should be there. Could you just imaging accidentally crashing into the ground because you thought you were higher up?

About the leaning in thing; could they have head tracking to help deal with it?

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

There seriously needs to be no lag between what the screen displays and what should be there. Could you just imaging accidentally crashing into the ground because you thought you were higher up?

I think the pilot has windows and radar ;P lol

Yeah if the screens were fast and tracked where the user was looking that would be cool!!!!

Since this jet is not cheap it could use a few 6k Red Epics at 120fps for super smooth detailed video

Also 100% I would have the space flight thing on every time :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I was thinking more like leaning towards your monitor to have a look at small text.

I suppose what I was thinking more about was the dpi. the minimum I reckon it needs to be around is the dpi of a 13" 1080p screen for the pixels to not really be visible and/or annoying

and, I think it's safe to assume that the pilots have a much more accurate representation of the outside world...

A year ago I heard Airbus talking about something similar, but with actual transparent material making up the entire fuselage.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Heraigbfvaieyvbaiyevakvb. Excuse me while I find some tissues...

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

As one of the comments said in the source, windows are a major structural weakness in most airplanes, especially small ones. 

So basically removing windows=stronger structural integrity (?)

Almost: Removing windows = lighter structure with same structural integrity.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Coolb I guess... But why

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Just a little bit more before the COFFIN system (Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere reference) becomes real...

The outside image will be correct only at one angle. if you look at it from another seat it will look deformed. i cant imagine how they would fix this. maybe pixels that only show in one direction...

this stuff is far away

This was on the news months ago...

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I was thinking more like leaning towards your monitor to have a look at small text.

I suppose what I was thinking more about was the dpi. the minimum I reckon it needs to be around is the dpi of a 13" 1080p screen for the pixels to not really be visible and/or annoying

and, I think it's safe to assume that the pilots have a much more accurate representation of the outside world...

Was joking when I said: "Could you just imaging accidentally crashing into the ground because you thought you were higher up?" :D

I think I'd prefer Airbus' concept for the future.

-vid-

That's cool, but seems a lot more fantastical than the smaller jet :P

What if power cuts out? I hope they have some sort of emergency window or something.

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

What if power cuts out? I hope they have some sort of emergency window or something.

Windows aren't that necessary.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

dude this isn't for the pilot. and why would there be lag? have you ever had any lag while shooting a video with a video camera?

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

When I get my aviation business I'm going to be investing in a couple of those

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Meh. Whatever. Most people will sleep through the flight anyway.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

dude this isn't for the pilot. and why would there be lag? have you ever had any lag while shooting a video with a video camera?

A lame joke on my part, sorry.

A lame joke on my part, sorry.

Haha no worries thought u actually believed it. The internet really needs to figure out a way to show sarcasm cause half the time I end up confused

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place