One GPU for gaming, the other for folding, in the same rig?

Ok, I thought of something today.

I currently have a 7970 and it's giving me about 110k ppd, but soon I will upgrade to the Titan (long story short, I'm frustrated).

So a thought popped up in my head, can I have both of them in the same rig, one folding and one being used as my main card? is that possible in any way or should I just build some kind of micro pc and put the 7970 in there?

Thanks in advance.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

Just to add really off topic, why not grab a 780? It's only 65% of the price and its 95% of the performance.

Set the titan to be in the pci-e slot with the most lanes. Then you should just use the 7970 in the other slot and make that the folding gpu. It should work. Put both cards in a system and then boot it with the display cable in the titan or you could use a 780 and see what happens. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

I'm getting a good deal on the titan so I thought why not.

SO it's basically that easy? Just put the titan in the top pci slot and plug the monitors in it? No setup or additional software?

@natkoui

In theory, yes, that can work. Which ever card is in the primary slot would be used, and then fold on the other. Don't enable SLI or anything. Folding would detect the two GPU's. You can either delete the Titan one, or just pause it when gaming. Note - some system just won't work with one AMD card and one NVidia - should, but some won't. So try it, hopefully works. Also, you would uninstall the AMD drives and only have the NVidia ones installed.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Oh, any idea on the performance of a driver-less 7970? :P

EDIT: and if it doesn't work, some sort of micro pc build shouldn't be expensive.

@natkoui

Just to add really off topic, why not grab a 780? It's only 65% of the price and its 95% of the performance.

Titan has more VRAM maby he needs it.

This works totally fine, I have an AMD card in my spare slot and run a nvidia card in the other. Windows will only use the card for gaming that the monitor is attached to :)

just one more question, will the 7970 perform the same in regards to folding if it's in a x4 slot instead of a x16 one?

@natkoui

Should be able to have drivers wouldn't you? Just can't use 2 different cards for the same game I though.

I wouldn't imagine any major bottleneck from that since that's usually what happens in a 3-way sli anyways.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Windows will install the basic driver for your card - typically though you get some weird issue if you install both NVidia and AMD drivers at the same time.

As for slot, x1 is all you need, to get the data to the card. Card does all the work - it is not a bandwidth issue. Most of my cards are all hooked up to x1 slots with expanders and run at full capacity.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

great, thanks everyone :)

@natkoui

I've used the 560 ti along side my 660ti for folding , worked fine.
make sure you card cooled well, folding cooked my card. not designed to run at that load 24/7,
most games only reach that load now and again. It's soldering, see i'll see if I can fix mine