Windows 8.1 tablets VS high end android tablets

Hey guys i turned 16 a few months ago and got my first job so i started saving up a little and after 3 weeks i decided i wanted a tablet, the problem is i cant decide whether i want to get a windows tablet (with 8.1 ie. dell venue 8 pro) or something like the tegra note 7. I like that android is much more optimized for a touchscreen but i like that i can run full windows 8 on a tablet. 

So what do you guys think i should do the main thing that i will be using it for is media (youtube, HD anime, minor gaming, visual novels, and music.) BTW the two tablets im looking at are the dell venue 8 and the tegra note 7 for android but im open to suggestions.

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

Hey guys i turned 16 a few months ago and got my first job so i started saving up a little and after 3 weeks i decided i wanted a tablet, the problem is i cant decide whether i want to get a windows tablet (with 8.1 ie. dell venue 8 pro) or something like the tegra note 7. I like that android is much more optimized for a touchscreen but i like that i can run full windows 8 on a tablet. 

So what do you guys think i should do the main thing that i will be using it for is media (youtube, HD anime, minor gaming, visual novels, and music.) BTW the two tablets im looking at are the dell venue 8 and the tegra note 7 for android but im open to suggestions.

Get the android if you're looking at 8"-7" tablets as android is much better than Win 8 at this size.

Honestly, don't get a "tablet" that includes Windows 8.1 unless it's using a core i3/i5/i7. Else will just be annoying.

I would say if you truly want something nice, get a *Surface pro 3. My gf has one, and it's absolutely amazing. 

Else, maybe get a Nexus 7. 

*Surface Pro 3 is roughly $800 at the cheapest model.

If it's just a little for-fun tablet, android (or even iPad). If you want something a bit more serious you could get a windows ultrabook convertible with a touch screen (like the lenovo yoga or dell xps 12) or even just a touch-screen laptop.

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

I have both an android and windows tablet and I like them both.  I tend to use my Asus transformer T100 more then my Samsung galaxy tab just because with a windows 8 tablet you can get a full working copy of Microsoft office 2013 for free with with and the keyboard and touchscreen is good.

But my needs is different from you so I would go towards the Nexus 7 tablet over the dell tablet as its stock and you will be getting the latest version of Android before other tablets (some manufactures of android tablets don't upgrade to the latest version what so ever).

Cry Havoc!

I had a Dell Venue 8 Pro. It was a great tablet, but the app store wasn't that great. The best on there is GTA  San Andreas and some racing games. On the other hand, it's great for Steam games and games in general. You can't run like Battlefield or Dark Souls II or Skyrim but it can handle dated and/or Indy games. Plus you get Office 13 with it, so it's a great deal overall.

The only actual hardware flaw of the Dell Venue 8 Pro that effects usage is the charging port. It gets SO damaged SOOOOO easily! If you do decide to get the DV8 Pro, be sure to cling onto that warranty for your life.

If you want to do work with your system, get Windows 8.1 based tablet. More specifically a convertible one, like the Surface Pro line or ASUS transformer.

If you plan to play touch based games, like angry bird, and play videos, and casually surf the web. Then get an Android device.

If you want a device for school, then The Surface Pro is the best device you can get, in term of laptop+tablet combo unit. There isn't any better for your money, mainly due to the digitize pen (the good pen technology: thin tip, detects when it hovers on the screen, palm rejection, pressure sensitive) which is critical in note taking.

Taking class notes with Android or iPad, using Office or not, it won't be an enjoyable experience, Not to mention that any software you need to run for your education (depending on the programs you are in of course) won't work, are they depend on Windows. (Flash plug-in for site, MathLab/Maple, Visual Studio, Eclipse/NetBean, Photoshop, etc.)

Just don't buy a Samsung

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

If it's just a general tablet, get the Shield Tablet! The K1 is a beast, it's super-competitively priced, and it has the stylus that actually works really well. Also, Nvidia.

I plan on getting the Asus VivoTab Note, its a 8" windows 8.1 tablet with a styles, I plan on using it with XBMC for video use. one reason I am going with windows over android is that android phones and tablets have issues with 10 bit video and some of my anime is in 10 bit. the styles will make using the desktop easy, and I went to best buy to mess with it and I find the on screen keyboard to be good, and it the system seems responsive. I also like that I can use any x86 apps. I should have it in a week and can tell you my experience when i get it.

Use case:

Anime

movies

Manga

web browsing

this one cost $199 for 32GB and $280 for 64GB (i saw it for $229 sold by amazon but they are out of stock now)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc