Why do people hate Chrome OS so much?

alex93310

Why do people seem to hate Chromebooks (Chromeboxes, Chromebases... etc) so much?

Just look at any Chromebook review on YouTube.  Almost about 60% of the comments are about how bad Chrome OS is and how stupid Chromebooks are.

I am creating this topic on my own Acer C720p Chromebook and I love it!  It CAN BE and IS my daily driver.  I only go to my Windows machine when I want to game or use software that's only available on Windows.  I had my doubts but was pleasantly surprised about how fluid and practical this super lightweight OS is.

Anyways enough with the rant.  What do you guys think?  Do you guys think Chrome OS is stupid?  Why or why not?

Don't know really.... never tried it. Can't be that bad right?

well i haven't tried chromebooks and the OS at all but at first glance i really don't like that everything must be done through the browser and i assume the thing is nearly useless without an internet connection, again i have never use one

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I used my friends Chromebook and I loved it! It was fast and fluid, don't know why there's so many haters...

Because not everyone uses their computer the same way. If there is software that is vital to you in some way, all other platforms will suck to you if that same software isn't available.

Example; My favorite art program is this Japanese one called Paint Tool SAI. SAI is Windows only and because of this, I'm not interested in other platforms. Maybe for those who don't like Chrome OS, they find it too limited for their own needs.

I'm sure it can't be that bad for a standard OS for those who only use their computer for Facebook, Youtube and basic internet use. I'm just saying, it's software that makes or breaks an OS for some.

Try using Peppermint OS... I think it's a similar experience (based on watching chrome OS reviews, and the fact that I haven't found a single chromebook in the shops)...

well i haven't tried chromebooks and the OS at all but at first glance i really don't like that everything must be done through the browser and i assume the thing is nearly useless without an internet connection, again i have never use one

But think would you NOT have internet connection (normally)?  There is WiFi at home, at school, at work, in starbucks and McDonald, even if there is no WiFi we still have our phone WiFi hotspots.  Some would argue that not every country are like that, but the only countries where you can even buy a chromebook ARE like that.

Because not everyone uses their computer the same way. If there is software that is vital to you in some way, all other platforms will suck to you if that same software isn't available.

Example; My favorite art program is this Japanese one called Paint Tool SAI. SAI is Windows only and because of this, I'm not interested in other platforms. Maybe for those who don't like Chrome OS, they find it too limited for their own needs.

I'm sure it can't be that bad for a standard OS for those who only use their computer for Facebook, Youtube and basic internet use. I'm just saying, it's software that makes or breaks an OS for some.

The haters probably just didn't think of having a chromebook AND a windows machine at the same time.  I would find Chrome OS to limited too if I only had a chromebook.

Out of curiosity can you install another OS without problems on a chromebook?

Yes you can install linux on it.  According to the internet it is very helpful because it widely expands the compatibility with various softwares.  I'm not planning to do that though, I don't find that worth the trouble.

But think would you NOT have internet connection (normally)?  There is WiFi at home, at school, at work, in starbucks and McDonald, even if there is no WiFi we still have our phone WiFi hotspots.  Some would argue that not every country are like that, but the only countries where you can even buy a chromebook ARE like that.

that true and yeah i don't live a country that has chromebooks for sale, and with good reason, not even all malls offer free wifi, and there's very few schools that had computer classes and is just limited to how to use one for productivity stuff like word and excel, but even if i had internet everywhere i go to, i don't like them that much, if i was on a budget i prefer to buy one of those cheap baytrail laptops or frankenstein an android tablet with a keyboard case

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

The haters probably just didn't think of having a chromebook AND a windows machine at the same time.  I would find Chrome OS to limited too if I only had a chromebook.

Probably. I have a Windows desktop, but wouldn't mind a Chromebook as a secondary device, I see no reason to hate on that or for those who only have basic needs.

your mistake was reading the opinions of the morons in YT comments, most of them probably didn't use one.

I finally found out what your name means.

I always read it as Aske W

But it's Askew, to one side, awry.

I finally found out what your name means.

I always read it as Aske W

But it's Askew, to one side, awry.

Also weirdness happens if you google it.

I rather like it (other than the fact that it is Chrome and I dislike Chrome, and you need to be onlinne or it's dead in the water).

But, the thing I hate about it? Two words. MOUSE ACCELERATION. It sucks.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

MOUSE ACCELERATION. It sucks.

markC mouse fix master race

markC mouse fix master race

Teach me your ways.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I rather like it (other than the fact that it is Chrome and I dislike Chrome, and you need to be onlinne or it's dead in the water).

What's up with your location and title at the moment? :P

Because it's stupid when your laptop turns into a potato when there's no Internet connection. Plus, I'm kinda freaked out by the size of Alt and Ctrl.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

What's up with your location and title at the moment? :P

And signature. And profile. They all go together.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

No Offense but to me Chrome OS is pretty stupid i mean u cant save that much on it and it has a lot of imperfections and not powerful at all.

The PC's that run Chrome OS arent powerful

Honestly a tablet would be better cause some a bit more powerful, same storage, but more poratble

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Teach me your ways.

http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html

It is a registry fix to stop applications from forcing acceleration, it's a one click fix and ensures acceleration is permanently off on your computer.

Step 1, choose a mouse without hardware prediction/angle snapping

Step 2, go into Mouse settings in control panel and uncheck 'enhance pointer precision'

Step 3, go into the MarkC mouse fix folder, navi to your correct OS and DPI (default is always 100) and run.

Step 4, reboot and enjoy permanent freedom from any artificial mouse behavior.

My g400 has no predicion, windows has no acceleration, pixel movement is 1:1, when people come to my house I always get complimented on how smooth my mouse movement is, angle snapping/prediction on mice is not talked of that much but it completely changes the way a mouse behaves, with it on it corrects little jitters as you move the mouse to make it easier to draw a straight line, with it off it is nearly impossible to draw a straight line in paint with the mouse.

Read this to know more, I can answer more if you want.

http://defragdev.com/blog/?tag=angle-snapping

Probably. I have a Windows desktop, but wouldn't mind a Chromebook as a secondary device, I see no reason to hate on that or for those who only have basic needs.

That's the plan I had in mind when ordering my Chromebook, but I ended up just using my Chromebook most often LOL

Actually I couldn't even get my Logitech G602 to work properly on my chromebook.

Fortunately my Acer C720p has an awesome trackpad and I use it even more than the touchscreen.  I don't find putting a mouse on it necessary.

No Offense but to me Chrome OS is pretty stupid i mean u cant save that much on it and it has a lot of imperfections and not powerful at all.

The PC's that run Chrome OS arent powerful

Honestly a tablet would be better cause some a bit more powerful, same storage, but more poratble

I completely understand this concern.  But you are thinking in a situation where you ONLY have a chromebook.

So my setup is that I have a windows PC with a hell lot more storage and a hell lot more power.  I have a chromebook for casual web browsing and binge watching Netflix... and because of the lightweight OS (which only needs to run one program, literally) it doesn't need to be powerful at all.  With an SSD and a Celeron is more than fast enough.  In fact it's very snappy.

In other words I'm very happy with it :D