Casefans for the fan controller of Phanteks Enthoo Pro

When I saw Linusses video on the Phanteks Enthoo Pro i fell in love with it and am planning to use it on my coming new build, which is the first time i'm assembling and building it myself and I'm a little confused about the fancontroller.

From what I find, PWM (case) fans have 4 pin connectors and when I read the review of the case over on kitguru, they mentioned it had a PWM fan controller. So I thought, ok, cool, so I need to find myself a couple of 120mm PWM fans.

But when I took a closer look on the video and screenshots, I noticed there were only 3 pins present on the hub:

b2d3f2f75cf48491cfcd5ccbc64aa8db.pngbf632bd5b5d94760be4c6cb014f99287.png

Can someone rescue me and tell me what it is I need (and perhaps some suggestions???)

When I saw Linusses video on the Phanteks Enthoo Pro i fell in love with it and am planning to use it on my coming new build, which is the first time i'm assembling and building it myself and I'm a little confused about the fancontroller.

From what I find, PWM (case) fans have 4 pin connectors and when I read the review of the case over on kitguru, they mentioned it had a PWM fan controller. So I thought, ok, cool, so I need to find myself a couple of 120mm PWM fans.

But when I took a closer look on the video and screenshots, I noticed there were only 3 pins present on the hub:

b2d3f2f75cf48491cfcd5ccbc64aa8db.pngbf632bd5b5d94760be4c6cb014f99287.png

Can someone rescue me and tell me what it is I need (and perhaps some suggestions???)

The 3 pins are used for power, and you see 4 as then the Mobo can control it using PWM. With a fan controller, this isn't necessary, thus only 3 pins are present. At least I think this is how it works..

Ok, so if I understand it correctly, the 4 pin connector that is on the right of the image is the PWM connector which drives the outputs of the 3 pins that go to the fans?

Kind of makes sense, the PWM only needs to happen on the source signal and can be applied to all fans.

So this means that I don't need to get PWM fans and can just get regular 3 pin fans.

You can use regular 3 pin fans and they will work like PWM fans.  You connect your case fans to the pwm hub, and then connect the 4 pin connector on the hub to your CPU_Fan  header on your motherboard.  This allows you to run all the fans on the hub through the one 4-pin header on your motherboard.  

Don't connect the SATA power connector if you plan to use it the way I mentioned.  You can use EITHER the sata power OR the 4-pin pwm header to power the hub and fans.  If you use the included sata power connector, it will run all the fans at full speed all the time.  If you use only the 4-pin conector to your mobo, it will allow you to control them through your bios, or whatever you use.  

CPU: Intel i5 4690k   GPU: MSI GTX 960 OC   PSU: Seasonic 750 Watt   Mobo: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro White   RAM: HyperX Fury 8Gb   SSD: Intel 730 240Gb   HDD: WD Black 1Tb   Cooler: Phanteks TC12DX   Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000   Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3   Monitor: Acer IPS 24" (x2)

You can use regular 3 pin fans and they will work like PWM fans. You connect your case fans to the pwm hub, and then connect the 4 pin connector on the hub to your CPU_Fan header on your motherboard. This allows you to run all the fans on the hub through the one 4-pin header on your motherboard.

Don't connect the SATA power connector if you plan to use it the way I mentioned. You can use EITHER the sata power OR the 4-pin pwm header to power the hub and fans. If you use the included sata power connector, it will run all the fans at full speed all the time. If you use only the 4-pin conector to your mobo, it will allow you to control them through your bios, or whatever you use.

I'm almost sure that one is in fact supposed to connect the SATA power cable for additional power, since the motherboard may not be able to supply enough power for six thirsty fans through a single 4-pin fan cable. This, however, is only true if the fan controller is connected to a PWM fan header. (Some may not be capable of PWM speed regulation, even though they have four pins.) If a non-PWM (3- or 4-pin) fan header is used, the fans will be regulated by voltage, and in that case, connecting the SATA power cable will make the fans run at full speed.

The CPU_FAN header is virtually always PWM capable.

A true PWM header usually has at least 30 volts..  but you're right, the sata is additional, as long as you're using a true PWM signal, from CPU_Fan header or a header that is true pwm.

this is the manual...

pwmhub_zpsf66b268a.jpg

CPU: Intel i5 4690k   GPU: MSI GTX 960 OC   PSU: Seasonic 750 Watt   Mobo: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro White   RAM: HyperX Fury 8Gb   SSD: Intel 730 240Gb   HDD: WD Black 1Tb   Cooler: Phanteks TC12DX   Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000   Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3   Monitor: Acer IPS 24" (x2)

• 1 month later...

You can use regular 3 pin fans and they will work like PWM fans.  You connect your case fans to the pwm hub, and then connect the 4 pin connector on the hub to your CPU_Fan  header on your motherboard.  This allows you to run all the fans on the hub through the one 4-pin header on your motherboard.  

Don't connect the SATA power connector if you plan to use it the way I mentioned.  You can use EITHER the sata power OR the 4-pin pwm header to power the hub and fans.  If you use the included sata power connector, it will run all the fans at full speed all the time.  If you use only the 4-pin conector to your mobo, it will allow you to control them through your bios, or whatever you use.  

What program can you use to control the case fans??? I have an AMD GPU and the catalyst control center only controls the GPU fans and not the case fans.  i have the PWM fan hub plugged into CPU_FAN...  BTW for the program im on win 8.1 64bit.

• 2 months later...

If this hub plugs into the cpu fan header, what will i plug my hyper 212 evo into?

Here's what's going on: Normally the missing pin would be the speed sensor. The data coming from the multiple speed sensors on all fans added together would make little sense to the motherboard, so it's not there. You connect the input to your CPU fan header, or another header on your mobo that can do PWM control, connect the SATA power connector to your PSU. This ensures that not too much power is drawn from the motherboard header to prevent damage. Then use PWM fans. The missing pin is not needed.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I have the enthoo pro the other end of that cable ends in a 3 pin header so you will not pwm functionality unfortunately

• 3 months later...

If this hub plugs into the cpu fan header, what will i plug my hyper 212 evo into?

Into the fan hub.