I done goofed.

chris

So yeah, imagine me: setting up my watercooling loop, everything is set up perfectly, SLI fitting in, two lovely non-reference GTX 670s with custom water blocks on them sitting in their PCIe slots, not connected to the PSU, no water in the loop yet, only two things are plugged into my PSU: the 24pin ATX cable, and the fans (not the pump). I wanted to test exactly how fast these four NF-F12s on a UT60 would go, and the two NF-A14s would go on the ST30 radiator. So I hit the Start button on my Maximus V Formula rather than bridging the 24pin with a paperclip.

Two flames erupted from my 670s, one from each. I shut off the PSU because I had my foot on the surge protector. I take out my beloved 670s as one unit, hoping that it was only the motherboard that was fried.

about an hour of diagnostics later, I am typing this up, running on my 3770k's iGPU with my h100i reinstalled and my watercooling loop thoroughly out of action.

On the bright side, at least I have two shiny coffee holders.

tl;dr: I didnt realise the motherboard supplied enough power to roast two GTX 670s. RIP.

On the bright side: getting a 780ti next week!

Nobody needs to shiny coffee holders. I'll gladly take one for you ;)

You done goofed real hard though. I'm actually surprised it did that. I would have thought the motherboard or the GPU's would have protection circuits in them to stop so much power going through the PCI-E slots.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

Someones rich :P

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

How did they even turn on with no power connectors... There is something wrong if 75w instantly set you gpu's into flames... The CPU should've overheated way before that...

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

So yeah, imagine me: setting up my watercooling loop, everything is set up perfectly, SLI fitting in, two lovely non-reference GTX 670s with custom water blocks on them sitting in their PCIe slots, not connected to the PSU, no water in the loop yet, only two things are plugged into my PSU: the 24pin ATX cable, and the fans (not the pump). I wanted to test exactly how fast these four NF-F12s on a UT60 would go, and the two NF-A14s would go on the ST30 radiator. So I hit the Start button on my Maximus V Formula rather than bridging the 24pin with a paperclip.

Two flames erupted from my 670s, one from each. I shut off the PSU because I had my foot on the surge protector. I take out my beloved 670s as one unit, hoping that it was only the motherboard that was fried.

about an hour of diagnostics later, I am typing this up, running on my 3770k's iGPU with my h100i reinstalled and my watercooling loop thoroughly out of action.

On the bright side, at least I have two shiny coffee holders.

tl;dr: I didnt realise the motherboard supplied enough power to roast two GTX 670s. RIP.

On the bright side: getting a 780ti next week!

You sir goofed hard.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

What PSU was that?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I wish I was rich.

hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh SWIGGITY SWOOTY I'M COMING FOR THAT BOOTY hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh

huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue LINIXTEKTEPS R DE BES I LUV LINUX huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue

Wow :|

Well,idk if i should feel sorry for you or not because 780ti is better lol.You tell me.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

I don't get why the cards burnt.

Starting a mobo with cards plugged in is kind of a normal task.

Spoiler

Someones rich :P

MFW all this happened:

crying-money-woody-harrelson-zombieland.

yeahhhh no not really, just spending as much as possible on my setup. This sucked pretty hard though.

they had no heat dissipation, there was no water in the loop or anything

How did they even turn on with no power connectors... There is something wrong if 75w instantly set you gpu's into flames... The CPU should've overheated way before that...

yeah I thought it'd be fine as the motherboard shouldn't be able to put that much power into two cards. Guess I was wrong.

Still, they can run minutes (without load) without overheating and when they do, the pc is supposed to shut down. End of story.

Spoiler

Still, they can run minutes (without load) without overheating and when they do, the pc is supposed to shut down. End of story.

it was instant. I have an old 8800gts which I'm reluctant to put in to check if it fries too.

my guess is that you somehow shorted some of the components with the waterblock.

it was instant. I have an old 8800gts which I'm reluctant to put in to check if it fries too.

The point is : this isn't supposed to happen. There's something wrong with the psu or mobo.

or what ijchan223 said.

Spoiler

He didn't have them connected to the power supply.

That really blows dude. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I did that like 5 times. Nothing fried. The bios detected it and a message said something like "not enough graphic power".

Spoiler

I did that like 5 times. Nothing fried.

Maybe the OP is just extremely unlucky. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

my guess is that you somehow shorted some of the components with the waterblock.

the waterblock was this: www.liquidextasy.de/gpu-wasserkuehler/nvidia/6xx-series/narrow-line-geforce-670-gtx-msi-pe-oc-detail

it only touches the tops of the chips (except for the screws, which were screwed in as lightly as possible).

The damage was to this here, (visible damage at least, this is the part that caught fire) BtzmiXwIMAAlCLd.jpg

Maybe there was some water in the PCI connector or some liquid in the cards that shorted and burned them. It's very weird, the GPU's died but the mobo it's fine...

yeah because I thought having them connected to the PSU would make them burn out faster. Guessing they didn't have a ground to dissipate all of the electricity fast enough.

the waterblock was this: www.liquidextasy.de/gpu-wasserkuehler/nvidia/6xx-series/narrow-line-geforce-670-gtx-msi-pe-oc-detail

it only touches the tops of the chips (except for the screws, which were screwed in as lightly as possible).

The damage was to this here, (visible damage at least, this is the part that caught fire) BtzmiXwIMAAlCLd.jpg

the bit in between the two capacitors. Sorry for the bad picture

i guess it really depends on the cards,  plugged in my 670 dcII  a few times with out the two 6 pins and nothing happened won't even boot.

yeah because I thought having them connected to the PSU would make them burn out faster. Guessing they didn't have a ground to dissipate all of the electricity fast enough.

I think you shouldn't have done it in the first place. Live and learn, I guess. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler