I done goofed.

chris

Maybe there was some water in the PCI connector or some liquid in the cards that shorted and burned them. It's very weird, the GPU's died but the mobo it's fine...

there was no water near the build yet

BtznpGPIYAAJHoc.jpg

better image of the chip that's fried.

the question is: if I put an 8800gts in my system now, will that fry too?

there was no water near the build yet

So it's weird then... I don't know how much power the mobo gave to fry two GPU's...

BtznpGPIYAAJHoc.jpg

better image of the chip that's fried.

oh and it's the same place on both GPUs

Dolla dolla bills y'all

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

yeah because I thought having them connected to the PSU would make them burn out faster. Guessing they didn't have a ground to dissipate all of the electricity fast enough.

Not how it works.

the question is: if I put an 8800gts in my system now, will that fry too?

If there's a problem with the mobo, yes. Try running on onboard graphics.

Spoiler

So it's weird then... I don't know how much power the mobo gave to fry two GPU's...

I didn't connect any extra PCIe power connectors so I don't know how the heck it fried so fast, and caught fire. My guess is that something shorted, but I have no clue as to what

currently I have to lower my resolution from 1440p to play games at a decent FPS, which makes me feel like a dirty console peasant :/

I didn't connect any extra PCIe power connectors so I don't know how the heck it fried so fast, and caught fire. My guess is that something shorted, but I have no clue as to what

Yup, something shorted, that's why I thought that there was some water, but everything was dry. I don't think that the PSU is the problem, if it were you would also fried your CPU.

I don't know if it's going to happen again if you connect another GPU, but I would change the mobo asap if I were you.

i highly doubt that the motherboard is the issue it should be find with a different video card. I would try it with the 8800.

Ok. Booted fine with the 8800gts installed.

so the issue was the waterblock or the cards?

First (and I don't want to rub it in) I've got a second PSU (Watts and brand doesn't really matter I bought a Rosewill 350W... total crap but good enough for this purpose) and an apropriate adapter for doing fan/pump tests or when I bleed one of my loops. If you are staying with water cooling you should think about that too. Tools like that should be standard :) .

Second I think since your mainboard seems to be fine that you had that problem with the coolers that you've put on that GPUs. Both have the same failure in the same spot and  from what I've seen on the pictures the PCIe conncetors look fine.

Btw... the 780 Ti is a very good choice if you are planning on watercool this bad boy just buy a reference design and slam an EK block on it.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Just as a status update:

Booted fine with iGPU (3770k) so motherboard and CPU are fine.

Booted with a 8800gts so the problem is not with the PSU. My guess is that the card shorted on a part of the water block.

I have a spare system (dell studio 510), which is where I salvaged the 8800gts from and I can use the PSU from there to test. Will be getting that 780ti and hopefully a water block for it too, although that might have to wait a while.

I'm guessing the waterblocks are touching something they shouldn't be.

Needs more investigation.

Should I just cover the whole of the block in thermal paste, re-attach it to the GPU, and see what is covered in paste when I remove the waterblock?

First (and I don't want to rub it in) I've got a second PSU (Watts and brand doesn't really matter I bought a Rosewill 350W... total crap but good enough for this purpose) and an apropriate adapter for doing fan/pump tests or when I bleed one of my loops. If you are staying with water cooling you should think about that too. Tools like that should be standard :) .

Second I think since your mainboard seems to be fine that you had that problem with the coolers that you've put on that GPUs. Both have the same failure in the same spot and from what I've seen on the pictures the PCIe conncetors look fine.

Btw... the 780 Ti is a very good choice if you are planning on watercool this bad boy just buy a reference design and slam an EK block on it.

Planning on sticking with it, currently reinstalled my h100i. Will get the 780ti, make sure it's fine and use it for a week of so until I can get an EK block, then cool the whole system. Mainboard is fine and I don't think it was an issue with the PCIe slots given that I installed another GPU and that ran fine. I have a spare system which I can borrow the PSU from, think it's 350w. I will investigate what the hell happened with the 670 blocks in the morning.

Next week a thread about how you burned the 780ti >. <

Next week a thread about how you burned the 780ti >. <

yeah I hope not :c

yeah I hope not :c

please do not reuse the block, send the manufacturer a message about how you managed to short two cards using their waterblocks.

if you're lucky they'll replace everything damaged

please do not reuse the block, send the manufacturer a message about how you managed to short two cards using their waterblocks.

if you're lucky they'll replace everything damaged

good call