Gaming Monitor

Silver Sand

Hey guys,

So i have been pondering.....

Linus has made this video about the BenQ XL2420TE, uploaded back in 25 october 2013 

Link 1: 

I'd say that monitor is awesome, but i also saw this one which came out begin July or so i heard:

Link 2: http://rog.asus.com/296652014/news/rog-announces-the-pg278q-swift-27-inch-wqhd-g-sync-gaming-monitor/

Mate of mine says they are both quite expensive, yes i do understand ofcourse ( thats what I for one think, though i want something to spoil myself for once, also my birth day the 23th of July so yeah^_^ ). And he also says that a difference in quality is hard to notice, would i take the most expensive 27" monitor ( Link 2 ), would this be true? Sure there would be a difference to be seen? I heard about this G-Sync option, i suppose that would help in some way ( yeah, knowledge level: 0 ). Help me out here a bit, i'd really appreciate the effort guys, Thanks!

Link 1: 280 ~ 300$

Link 2: 800$ ( Quite notable price difference, do have the means to buy though..... and it looks sexy. 27" is just too damn Sexy )

~~Peter~~ #DILEMMA

Edit, PS: This is the list of computer components ( I do think the link 2 asus screen is compatible.. it must be, still have to do a bit of research :D )

1. Intel Core i7-4790K Boxed

2. MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming

3. EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Dual Classified ACX Cooler

4. Seagate barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001, 3TB

5. NZXT Crafted Series Phantom 410 White ( Computer case )

6. Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

7. G.Skill TridentX F3-2133C9D-16GTX

8. Corsair RM850

9. Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Do you have enough graphics horsepower for 1440p 144Hz?

Do you have an Nvidia GPU?

Then I would definitely go with the ASUS monitor.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Do you have enough graphics horsepower for 1440p 144Hz?

Do you have an Nvidia GPU?

Then I would definitely go with the ASUS monitor.

Check computer components list, just now edited :D GPU = EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Dual Classified ACX Cooler

Guess that works out?

Check computer components list, just now edited :D GPU = EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Dual Classified ACX Cooler

Guess that works out?

Yup :)

But you will need to turn AA off if you want to reach those 120+ fps

This shouldn't be a problem since its 1440p, AA is not too noticeable.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yup :)

But you will need to turn AA off if you want to reach those 120+ fps

This shouldn't be a problem since its 1440p, AA is not too noticeable.

AA = Anti Aliasing or something? I'm poor with everything besides doing the game really hahaha. Even if it was Anti Aliasing (probs wrongly spelled also), i wouldn't really know what it was either :D. I only picked up the word somewhere.

EDIT: I'd like some other people commenting, i'd like to pick for myself ofcourse.. but i would love the general opinion. No wasting money either;) I do spoil sometimes though^_^

I'd love Linus himself responding on this, since he also said this for the BenQ: "Let me just start by saying I've never been much of a fan of gaming monitors. They've oftentimes in the past been otherwise completely unexceptional monitors with a cool colour scheme and some skin-deep "collaboration" with a pro gamer, which basically amounted to slapping a sticker on the box and giving the aforementioned pro a few bucks for the privilege."

So i really do wonder what his opinion on the ASUS is, also regarding the price.

AA = Anti Aliasing or something? I'm poor with everything besides doing the game really hahaha. Even if it was Anti Aliasing (probs wrongly spelled also), i wouldn't really know what it was either :D. I only picked up the word somewhere.

EDIT: I'd like some other people commenting, i'd like to pick for myself ofcourse.. but i would love the general opinion. No wasting money either;) I do spoil sometimes though^_^

I'd love Linus himself responding on this, since he also said this for the BenQ: "Let me just start by saying I've never been much of a fan of gaming monitors. They've oftentimes in the past been otherwise completely unexceptional monitors with a cool colour scheme and some skin-deep "collaboration" with a pro gamer, which basically amounted to slapping a sticker on the box and giving the aforementioned pro a few bucks for the privilege."

So i really do wonder what his opinion on the ASUS is, also regarding the price.

Yes AA=anti aliasing

Linus doesn't have time to respond to all the topics on LTT, it is unlikely he will say something here.

Spoiler

Yes AA=anti aliasing

Linus doesn't have time to respond to all the topics on LTT, it is unlikely he will say something here.

Thanks, and true:) He be a busy man. Could always properly try to PM him, in the hopes he would care to do so in his probable free time ^_^. This boi is in dire need. Also, Enderman, much appreciated mate one step closer to ASUS hehe :) Just doing lots of research is all ^^_^^

Thanks, and true:) He be a busy man. Could always properly try to PM him, in the hopes he would care to do so in his probable free time ^_^. This boi is in dire need. Also, Enderman, much appreciated mate one step closer to ASUS hehe  :) Just doing lots of research is all ^ ^_^^

Yup yw :)

Spoiler

Oh wow, i just cannot find the ASUS on amazon or anything, seems to be priced at around 750-850 euro's in my country... thats a whole lot more then 800$. Anyone has a purchase link? Gotta find it.

I think we'll have to wait and see reviews of the ASUS Monitor before we can really compare. G-SYNC is a killer feature though.

I think we'll have to wait and see reviews of the ASUS Monitor before we can really compare. G-SYNC is a killer feature though.

.--. .- .. -.. / -... -.-- / -. ...- .. -.. .. .-

If you know what I mean.

Interested in Business and Technology

Yeah, thought it was there, but not yet on the market it seemed.... Monitor was making me go ecstatic in a ways. Thanks for your reply Linus haha, thinking about going for the 27" BenQ version (saw both of your videos, 24"/27") ~ BenQ XL2720Z. Its also half the price of ASUS Monitor.

Also, @SSOB Paid by Nvidia? Lol. (I'm also Dutch on a side note, brofist)

TTL did a review of this monitor

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/asus_rog_pg278q_swift_g-sync_monitor_review/1

and if you ask me

i'd go for the swift if i could justify the price in a heart beat

but imo it's too expensive for what it is atm

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

TTL did a review of this monitor

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/asus_rog_pg278q_swift_g-sync_monitor_review/1

and if you ask me

i'd go for the swift if i could justify the price in a heart beat

but imo it's too expensive for what it is atm

Yeahh... i'll just go with the 27" BenQ, its half the price and i could always upgrade after 5+ years when this gear is worn out, there will be Gsync everywhere and cheaper 4k perhaps. Besides... 27" BenQ <3 Still the size i want, minus the Gsync is all (Also 144hz, 1ms etc etc)... it fares well it seems :D Purchased half of my setup today, tomorrow my money will land from my safe deposit, i'll get the other half :D Setup cost me 2210,62 euro's in total ( 2989,62$ ) Dayum, feeling a whole lot lighter this instant. Huehue. Happy though.