Network switches

Schmarvin

Okay, the last time I messed with this stuff was about 6 years ago. So, my question to everyone is, what is the difference between a switch and a router. I know they have wired routers not just wireless. Would it be better for me to get a wired router over a network switch?

a router can send traffic between different networks, a switch cannot, for internet you have to have a router

there are some exceptions to this, but nothing consumer grade

without knowing your networking situation, it's probably best to get a router

Okay, so my setup is this.

Two story house. Router/Modem is downstairs. Router is used for wi-fi devices/laptops. From the router, a cable goes to a powerline adapter upstairs. My powerline adapter upstairs connects to my main computer. But, I also have a range extender which also acts as an access point for my 360 and media center.

I want to be able to just take the range extender out and put in either a wired router or switch so all the devices access the internet. But I'm looking for something that allows up to 1gbps and allow every device on the network to see each other. I plan on adding a networked server down the road for file storage and whatnot.

for that you would use a switch, you just plug the switch into the router, and your devices into the switch

for that you would use a switch' date=' you just plug the switch into the router, and your devices into the switch[/quote']

And they would all be connected to the internet and see each other?

yes, a switch expands a network, all you need to do it use a ethernet cable to plug the switch into your router, then just plug your xbox and whatnot into the switch:

A router is actually only able to bridge between 2 networks (eg. the internet and your home network), a switch is a device that connects other devices to the same network.

Most consumer routers have a switch build in, that's why you can connect more that 1 device to your router.

See it like this:

|--- {Xbox}
|--- {switch}---|--- {Internet TV}
{Interwebz} --- {modem} --- {{router}-{switch}}---|--- {PC} |--- {Sisters laptop}
|--- {Laptop}

yes' date=' a switch expands a network, all you need to do it use a ethernet cable to plug the switch into your router, then just plug your xbox and whatnot into the switch: [/quote']

Nice. Thanks for that.

A router is actually only able to bridge between 2 networks (eg. the internet and your home network)' date=' a switch is a device that connects other devices to the same network. Most consumer routers have a switch build in, that's why you can connect more that 1 device to your router. See it like this:
 |--- {Xbox} |--- {switch}---|--- {Internet TV} {Interwebz} --- {modem} --- {{router}-{switch}}---|--- {PC} |--- {Sisters laptop} |--- {Laptop} 

[/quote']

Ah, okay.

So, I could just drop the range extender with the switch and connect my devices upstairs to it. And then downstairs, I just replace the current router with a newer one (its old and barely works). And the powerline adapter will allow me to connect between upstairs and downstairs up to 200mbps. All my devices upstairs should connect to the network and each other. But to each other up to 1gbps if I use a switch that allows up to 1gbps on each port.

Basically here is what I'm wanting:

I want to be able to connect to the internet via the powerline adapters to the router downstairs which is connected to my modem. But, upstairs, allow every device connected to the switch access to each other and the internet.

so you would want this:

router>powerline> ---------powerline> switch> ----devices

with that your devices will talk to each other with full Gbe speed, and still get internet/dhcp/dns from the router

yes' date=' a switch expands a network, all you need to do it use a ethernet cable to plug the switch into your router, then just plug your xbox and whatnot into the switch: [/quote']

Nice. Thanks for that.

A router is actually only able to bridge between 2 networks (eg. the internet and your home network)' date=' a switch is a device that connects other devices to the same network. Most consumer routers have a switch build in, that's why you can connect more that 1 device to your router. See it like this:
 |--- {Xbox} |--- {switch}---|--- {Internet TV} {Interwebz} --- {modem} --- {{router}-{switch}}---|--- {PC} |--- {Sisters laptop} |--- {Laptop} 

[/quote']

Ah, okay.

So, I could just drop the range extender with the switch and connect my devices upstairs to it. And then downstairs, I just replace the current router with a newer one (its old and barely works). And the powerline adapter will allow me to connect between upstairs and downstairs up to 200mbps. All my devices upstairs should connect to the network and each other. But to each other up to 1gbps if I use a switch that allows up to 1gbps on each port.

Basically here is what I'm wanting:

I want to be able to connect to the internet via the powerline adapters to the router downstairs which is connected to my modem. But, upstairs, allow every device connected to the switch access to each other and the internet.

Yeah, that's it, you get it now.

so you would want this: router>powerline> ---------powerline> switch> ----devices with that your devices will talk to each other with full Gbe speed' date=' and still get internet/dhcp/dns from the router [/quote']

Thank you both! Thanks Cyanotical and Ssoele!

Helped out a lot. Now that I don't need the range extender anymore. I'll just get a nice network switch.

But, I have noticed something, is it better to get a managed or unmanaged switch? I know there is a difference in the hosting world with managed and unmanaged servers. So would it be this same concept for a switch? I know it would be some sort of software management, which is great. Would it be something along the lines of a QoS?

Question - why not go all powerline in the house? If your current one is only a 200 model, maybe upgrade to 500? That is easy as well...

Switch - go unmanaged for your house. Plug it and forget it. You would only need QoS at the router side for what is leaving and entering the WAN. 1Gbps in a home network is ton more then you will need.

And - if you do go Powerline -> Powerline ->switch upstairs, the powerline connection will be the weak point. Even if you have the 500Mbps adapters, they cannot maintain a sustained throughput of that - so be prepared if you put in a server in the basement and access it from upstairs.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

so you would want this: router>powerline> ---------powerline> switch> ----devices with that your devices will talk to each other with full Gbe speed' date=' and still get internet/dhcp/dns from the router [/quote']

Thank you both! Thanks Cyanotical and Ssoele!

Helped out a lot. Now that I don't need the range extender anymore. I'll just get a nice network switch.

But, I have noticed something, is it better to get a managed or unmanaged switch? I know there is a difference in the hosting world with managed and unmanaged servers. So would it be this same concept for a switch? I know it would be some sort of software management, which is great. Would it be something along the lines of a QoS?

You really don't need a managed switch, I would recommend just a 5-port or 8-port gigabit switch (eg. http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/?model=TL-SG1005D , http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/?model=TL-SG1008D)

Question - why not go all powerline in the house? If your current one is only a 200 model' date=' maybe upgrade to 500? That is easy as well... Switch - go unmanaged for your house. Plug it and forget it. You would only need QoS at the router side for what is leaving and entering the WAN. 1Gbps in a home network is ton more then you will need. And - if you do go Powerline -> Powerline ->switch upstairs, the powerline connection will be the weak point. Even if you have the 500Mbps adapters, they cannot maintain a sustained throughput of that - so be prepared if you put in a server in the basement and access it from upstairs. [/quote']

Because I have devices that are wireless only? Such as phones, laptops, and tablets. I'm keeping the router downstairs. I need a switch because I have multiple wired devices upstairs, not downstairs. I just have one computer plugged into the wireless router downstairs. And the only other device plugged into the router downstairs is the powerline adapter which connects to the powerline adapter upstairs.

Well, I don't think you should upgrade your Powerline than.

And as for upgrading your router, maybe try installing DD-WRT on it, that really helps making old routers useful.

Well' date=' I don't think you should upgrade your Powerline than. And as for upgrading your router, maybe try installing DD-WRT on it, that really helps making old routers useful.

Thanks for the link, but my Belkin router is not supported.

A switch is basically an expansion for a router, you can essentially imagine it as a power bar but for internet. A router on the other hand assigns addresses to your network and has a switch built in into it(though it is not advertised as such).

If you want more recommendations on switches, I just bought two Monoprice switches and use them for my WAN and LAN which is connected from the firewall and various other servers I run. They both work very well and I'm pleasantly surprised since most of the other branded switches are $50+!

Here is the switch: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052104&p_id=7857&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

There is also a 16 port: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052104&p_id=8747&seq=1&format=2

And a 24 port: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052104&p_id=8746&seq=1&format=2

Have fun! :D

A switch is basically an expansion for a router' date=' you can essentially imagine it as a power bar but for internet. A router on the other hand assigns addresses to your network and has a switch built in into it(though it is not advertised as such).[/quote']

not really correct, but i can see where you get the idea