Doom Reboot Revealed at QuakeCon 2014

Dietrichw

Source

Doom-logo.jpg

id Software has revealed its highly anticipated new game in the legendary Doom franchise and it's just called Doom.

That's right, it's one of those oh-so-popular reboots that are all the rage these days. And why not? It's been 21 years since Doom popularised the first-person shooter genre.

Details were revealed at QuakeCon today, but footage was only shown to attendees. According to an on-site report by Polygon, the game is being developed on id Tech 6 and will launch on PC, Xbox One and PS4.

• It will have double-jumping!
  • Multiplayer will be "fast paced and competitive," according to Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
  • Weapon-switching is handled via a radial menu that slows down time when you select it. Executive producer Marty Stratton noted in Polygon's report that "You can carry all [weapons] at the same time,"
  • The series staple double-barrel shotgun, chainsaw, rocket launcher and rapid-fire plasma rifle have returned.
  • There won't be regenerating health.
  • You'll be able to carve enemies up in any direction with the chainsaw.
  • "Level design seems very linear," according to RPS. It's unclear if it's just this way for the demo.
  • it will run at 60 fps in 1080p.

"Weapon-switching is handled via a radial menu that slows down time when you select it."

That sounds incredibly consoley I hope they swap that to numbers/mousewheel when it launches on PC, although being able to carry all weapons at the same time does not and that's definitely a good thing.

I look forward to seeing how they do with the multiplayer aspect.

The existance of the game is slightly old news as they released that trailer over a month ago, but the extra information is certainly new.

so much yes

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Yeah been waiting for this for a long time. Cant wait tell they stop talking about it and just release the game.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

and yet it will still have less hype than half life 3

Woo!

Hmm, I wonder what the headline will be... "DOOM, the long-awaited continuation of the 1993's classic: Doom and Doom 4. Now with more DOOM. Play DOOM in a DOOMED world as you fight through hordes in DOOM and escaped a DOOMED world. DOOM, the greatest game since Doom and Doom 4. Prepare for your DOOM. Coming soon, DOOM. DOOM! DOOOOOM!!!" Y'know, I wished more games would have cheesy headlines instead of trying to be edgy and stuff.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

I'm becoming mildly discomforted with these naming schemes of rehashed/updated games, can we tack on a 2.0, reboot, 2014, or something.

It's getting annoying that we have Thief and Thief, Syndicate and Syndicate, and Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider.

Error: 410

I'm becoming mildly discomforted with these naming schemes of rehashed/updated games, can we tack on a 2.0, reboot, 2014, or something.

It's getting annoying that we have Thief and Thief, Syndicate and Syndicate, and Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider.

Technically, it's Thief: The Dark Project or Thief: Gold and Thief or THI4F as it was originally titled. Now, it's Doom without capitals and DOOM all in caps.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

4f81950c30.png

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

• it will run at 60 fps in 1080p.

The fact this is listed as a "feature" tells me it will be hampered by consoles. GG.

Omfg what is up with these awful naming schemes?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Better not turn out like UT3. PC first then consoles. Twitch shooters are meant for pc, not consoles.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

First Wolfenstein, now this.

Well...

Cool,I guess.

We will see.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Great another PC classic boned by consoles. Do you not hold anything sacred? Doom was defined by PC and how do you repay us? with a fucking radial menu and 1080p? Where are the 2k textures, where is the keyboard and mouse ui design?

• "Level design seems very linear," according to RPS. It's unclear if it's just this way for the demo.

Open world games are fun and all, but I never understood the hate on linear level design. To design an amazing game with linear level design takes some serious skill, which we haven't seen in well over a decade. Not only do I EXPECT the Doom reboot to have a linear level design, I expect it to have the best fucking linear level design the world has ever seen with a ton of hard to reach 'secrets'. Anything short of this and they aren't getting a dime from me. You can do it, make us proud!!!

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

There is one thing missing. And if it's not in the full game i'll be sad

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Let's see

-No Carmack, No Romero

Well already this doesn't inspires that much confident, those 2 are what made Doom special

-"Radial menu that slows down time when selected"

A radial menu? Consolitis much?

Fuck this game already, just play the original doom is actually still fairly entertaining and doable unlike most other games of it's era.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Double-jumping sounds more like UT than Doom. Hell, you weren't even able to jump once in the first two Dooms.

Slowing down time when selecting weapons sounds stupid. It will only slow down the gameplay if anything.

Competitive multiplayer most likely means no dedicated servers. Which is not good.

I'm assuming that multiplayer has completely different weapon switching, since a radial menu that slows down time would be outright retarded for that. So, why not change it for singleplayer too?

Considering all these things, I'm not surprised that the level design is linear. Hard to make a maze when you have a double-jumping space marine as the player character.

The first Doom was all about hunting keys to open doors to get to switches to either lower or rise platforms so you could get somewhere since you couldn't just jump. This will not be like the first Doom.