Custom water cooling vs AIO

Currently I have an H100i in my newly built rig. I don't have the graphics card yet, though, lol. It will be a GTX 780Ti when I get enough (only need $200). I was wondering how much better custom water cooling setups are than AIO water cooling kits are, like the H100i I have ATM. I wouldn't be getting it for a long time, though, because I need to make a lot of money for it. So I know some people say it isn't worth it, but, as many of you know, you think they are. Am I right?

Custom is going to be much better, but at the same time, way more expensive.

I tell this to my customers - Unless you are going to be pushing the machine, going custom loops really isn't the best option when there are AIO/AIr coolers out there are run pretty damn good and with the NZXT G10 for the GPU... you can take that route as well.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Custom is going to be much better, but at the same time, way more expensive.

I tell this to my customers - Unless you are going to be pushing the machine, going custom loops really isn't the best option when there are AIO/AIr coolers out there are run pretty damn good and with the NZXT G10 for the GPU... you can take that route as well.

Well if you can overclock your graphics card(s) to get more frames out of games, why not?

Well if you can overclock your graphics card(s) to get more frames out of games, why not?

Because most people can take the money they would have spent on their loop, sell their GPU, and buy a better GPU or another one.

Error: 410

Depends on the rad Size and Pump Strength, ex : the Swiftech H220 has a very powerful pump the cooler performs really well, like way better than H100i and as good as NH-D15, Still custom is better, if, you chose the right parts, so if you goe for a Sloppy pump, it wont perform Very good cause the water isn't moving fast enough, so as long as you get the right parts, Custom is the way to go 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

It has the potential to be better.  Of course, if you create a custom loop with the same size radiator and all, no it won't be much different.

Well my case is the 750D. If you would, can you put together a good water cooling setup for me so I can just visualize it?

Custom watercooling is superior in terms of cooling, it definitively is, but if we talk performance, it's not a major increase by any means. Yes, you do get your clocks higher, and you are not limited by temperatures, but how far can it go? Compared to close loop coolers, in both GPU and CPU, the OCs don't get that much higher tbh, you are better off getting another GPU or a better one.

Anandtech did an article a while ago, about this topic from a normal user perspective. I disagree with some of the part choices and setup they did, it could have been a lot better for not that much extra money. But anyways it gives you a descriptive look of how things really change when you make the jump to water, temps are nice, it gets pretty quiet, but it has it's drawbacks and it is very expensive, and performance-wise it's not that groundbreaking. Link to the article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7363/the-neophytes-custom-liquid-cooling-guide-how-to-why-to-what-to-expect

Water cooling is a great hobbie for enthusiast and builders, it's fun, thrilling and pleasant. If you decide to take this route, I'd suggest you go with a water cooling kit, companies like Alphacool, XSPC and others sell kits  which are beginner-friendly and make sure you don't spend extra money (they don't have any extra costs) or have an incompatibility issue.

Well my case is the 750D. If you would, can you put together a good water cooling setup for me so I can just visualize it?

You could just put a thick triple rad in the roof, that by itself would already give you a nice improvement over the H100i.  You can put a dual rad in the front intake as well, if you aren't going to use the hard drive cages.

You could just put a thick triple rad in the roof, that by itself would already give you a nice improvement over the H100i.  You can put a dual rad in the front intake as well, if you aren't going to use the hard drive cages.

But then where would I put my hard drive?

5.25 bay?

Error: 410

If you have a hard drive, then you will need your drive cages unless you want to get a 5.25" bay adapter for it or something.  If you only have SSDs, you can use those sideways-mount things the 750D has.

if I recall correctly the 750D has the ability to mount a hard drive cage on the bottom of the case further back from the front, closer to the power supply, leaving room in the front for a radiator.  Maybe that was a different case though.

legend8887, what cpu and motherboard do you have? I'm hardly a custom water cooling expert. I have had experience with better air coolers, many AIO coolers (Corsair and Thermaltake) and have now been into custom water cooling for both my rig below and a FX 8350 rig.

ForsakenLive gave a great answer above. To do a decent job of water cooling both your cpu and your future GTX780ti expect to spend @ $400 MINIMUM for both. You can get a decent kit for the cpu alone for @ $250 BUT a gpu waterblock, extra radiator and fans and fittings will take you to the $400-$500 range.

From personal experience, the biggest change is in gpu temps. You already have a Corsair H100i which is a very good high end AIO. Unless you are running a 6 core behemoth like I have below, the temp differential between a 240mm AIO and a custom water cooler is not as great as, for instance, water cooling a gpu vs the air cooling.

Bottom line? Don't dive into custom water cooling  for both your cpu and gpu unless you have a MINIMUM od $400 (I'm probably low).

5960x-4.4|AsusRE5|16g DDR4-2133|ZOTAC GTX 1080 FE-EK Block|2Smsng 850 EVO 500gb ssds Raid0|2Tb WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 1200W|Thrmltake X9|Custom H20 cooling|Dell U3415W

4790k-4.7|AsusMxVIIH|16g DDR3-2400|EVGA GTX980TI SC-EK Block|Cru M500-240g ssd:500g WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 950W|HAF932Adv|Custom H20 cooling|BenQ BL3200PT