New APUs have allot of alteration?

IFeaRZz

No, see you're not getting it. First, why spend money on a 2nd cpu just to have a weak crossfire?? Thats $200 that you couldve spent on a 7950. Now with ur arguement of the other applications. Even with 100 tabs open in chrome, your cpu would only take like a 3% hit.  skype? thats another percent. Unless an app is actually doing something like rendering video, extra cpu cores aren't gonna help at all. So unless your rendering video, playing a game, and have a movie playing in the background, all this is pointless. And the last part of all this is that an $300 i7 will do it better compared to 2 $200 cpu's

Your price estimates are quite a bit off

HD 7950 = $230

A10-7700k = $160 x 2 = $320

i7 4770k = $335

Now, obviously there are no benchmarks for this specific scenario, but if you multiply the benchmarks for an A10-7700K by two and compare it to a i7 4770K they are literally neck and neck. So, same performance, and lower price. And the HD 7950 costs $80 more than a potential second A10- 7700k, so don't kid yourself that that's a possible trade off. For $160 all you can get is an R7 265 on sale, but that still doesn't help with the APU's lackluster cpu power which will ultimately be a bottleneck in anything you do. I'm just trying to find a plausible use for these bargain bin APUs that AMD insists on pumping out instead of proper enthusiast grade ones. Performance wise dual APUs makes a lot of sense over an i7 if you keep in mind that for the same price, CPU wise they would perform almost identically and on top of that the crossfire'd Radeon cores would absolutely mop the floor with Intel's integrated graphics.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

So your solution is to abandon the idea completely? I'd stick with AMD's strategy: find uses and markets for what you can achieve to finance the R&D. This is also the same thing intel does by the way only they happen to be further down the road right now. Standing still waiting to die however is no strategy at all.

Not abandon it. But I'm just thinking realistically. For Graphics Units to turn into integrated units graphic technology has to hit a plateau, just like what it happened with Sound. Graphics are not improving as fast as 10 years ago anymore but they are still improving a lot each year.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

HD 7950 = $230

i7 4770k = $335

Now, obviously there are no benchmarks for this specific scenario, but if you multiply the benchmarks for an A10-7700K by two and compare it to a i7 4770K they are literally neck and neck. So, same performance, and lower price. And the HD 7950 costs $80 more than a potential second A10- 7700k, so don't kid yourself that that's a possible trade off. For $160 all you can get is an R7 265 on sale, but that still doesn't help with the APU's lackluster cpu power which will ultimately be a bottleneck in anything you do. I'm just trying to find a plausible use for these bargain bin APUs that AMD insists on pumping out instead of proper enthusiast grade ones. Performance wise dual APUs makes a lot of sense over an i7 if you keep in mind that for the same price, CPU wise they would perform almost identically and on top of that the crossfire'd Radeon cores would absolutely mop the floor with Intel's integrated graphics.

Dual AMD APU's would be pretty nice if they could get the scaling right. You get dual xeons so pls somehow figure out a way to make dual APU's xD. Again, probably uber hard but I want it.

HD 7950 = $230

i7 4770k = $335

That's flat out false: If you consider it's price and the types of cards it will be paired with, it wouldn't bottleneck a 270x and maybe struggle just a little bit with a 280 or 280x. You're exaggerating things here for effect.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That's flat out false: If you consider it's price and the types of cards it will be paired with, it wouldn't bottleneck a 270x and maybe struggle just a little bit with a 280 or 280x. You're exaggerating things here for effect.

I did not say the APU would specifically bottleneck a discrete GPU, I said the APU itself would be a bottleneck in general and adding a slightly better GPU would not fix this. You wouldn't expect anything to run nearly as well on a Pentium as it would on an i7, so why would you expect an APU to be any different? That's what I'm pointing out, there is currently no answer to the weak general processing power of an APU, and dual APU systems could potentially fill this void, if it's at all possible.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

dual socket boards will have to depend more on the mobo manufacturer

and the pesky stability issues with dual socket is why we don't see a lot of dual APU systems if they even exist

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

dual socket boards will have to depend more on the mobo manufacturer

and the pesky stability issues with dual socket is why we don't see a lot of dual APU systems if they even exist

I don't think they exists. I do know that dual operton boards exists however. In any case we're talking about a completely new product that as far as I know hasn't happened for the consumer market, though from a price point stand only I don't see this as completely out of the question since some dual socket boards can be within the enthusiast range of say 400 bucks.

Though that doesn't address the lack of gaming related applications for heavy multi threading of course. And besides if we're talking consumer dual socket motherboards, I much rather have a GPU socket so we can start getting chip only GPU solutions and add our own vram and heat solutions, THAT would be great.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I don't think they exists. I do know that dual operton boards exists however. In any case we're talking about a completely new product that as far as I know hasn't happened for the consumer market, though from a price point stand only I don't see this as completely out of the question since some dual socket boards can be within the enthusiast range of say 400 bucks.

Though that doesn't address the lack of gaming related applications for heavy multi threading of course. And besides if we're talking consumer dual socket motherboards, I much rather have a GPU socket so we can start getting chip only GPU solutions and add our own vram and heat solutions, THAT would be great.

actually about GPU socket

nVidia did came out with MXM modules

but they are stupid expensive and the performance is nowhere near the desktop series GPU

speaking about dual socket AMD operton, my dad is using a very old dual socket quad core HP workstation as his desktop

kick out tons of heat

spent its previous life as a CAD machine which I brought it back to life with new RAM and a SSD

has dual Quadro FX4800 as GPU but one broke down :D

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

HD 7950 = $230

i7 4770k = $335

Multiply the 7700k's benchmarks by 2? No thats not how it works.  First of all, with ur build, a 7950 will perform twice as well so its well worth. Now why buy a 7700k if you're going to get a gpu? Anyone with half a brain would get an 750k Athlon which is basically the same chip as the apu's except without the apu part.

Athlon X4 750k-$80

a 7950 and an the 750k would cost $300. So its cheaper and twice as fast

Then if you say yes but it has 1/2 the cpu performance, you can use your dual motherboard solutions here. You can have 2 750k's for the price of one 7700k. 

Next, i don't know why you think the cpu side is so weak. It takes a lot to be bottlenecked by your cpu in modern days. Both the apu and 750k won't bottleneck a single gpu solution

I get that you're trying to find an application to AMD's apu's but you just need to realize that there just isnt one. Maybe a media PC that you want to run steam OS and stream some games from but that can also play that one game that you can't stream for some reason.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Do you think Nvidia could cooperate with AMD long enough to design a GPU socket standard, or do you think we would end up with 4 motherboard variants? (Intel+Nvidia, Intel+AMD, AMD+Nvidia, and AMD+AMD)

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             

CPU
               WD Green 2TB

Well MXM are mobile, I'm talking about a chip that has much higher tdp. But I'd like that principle of easier to upgrade cards: We wouldn't need to pay for expensive vram with every new GPU update and we'd get better cooling and a lot better form factors.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Do you think Nvidia could cooperate with AMD long enough to design a GPU socket standard, or do you think we would end up with 4 motherboard variants? (Intel+Nvidia, Intel+AMD, AMD+Nvidia, and AMD+AMD)

Multiple boards it's almost inevitable to happen on this hypothetical. And yes this is a considerable issue: I am a fan of heavy min/max systems and the best way I've found to do that so far is with combining AMD processors and Nvidia GPUs so far with great results. So that's a good point, however not a deal breaker for the concept, but never the less a significant concern.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Multiply the 7700k's benchmarks by 2? No thats not how it works.  First of all, with ur build, a 7950 will perform twice as well so its well worth. Now why buy a 7700k if you're going to get a gpu? Anyone with half a brain would get an 750k Athlon which is basically the same chip as the apu's except without the apu part.

Athlon X4 750k-$80

a 7950 and an the 750k would cost $300. So its cheaper and twice as fast

Then if you say yes but it has 1/2 the cpu performance, you can use your dual motherboard solutions here. You can have 2 750k's for the price of one 7700k. 

Next, i don't know why you think the cpu side is so weak. It takes a lot to be bottlenecked by your cpu in modern days. Both the apu and 750k won't bottleneck a single gpu solution

I get that you're trying to find an application to AMD's apu's but you just need to realize that there just isnt one. Maybe a media PC that you want to run steam OS and stream some games from but that can also play that one game that you can't stream for some reason.

You keep going back to the GPU and budget gamers. Forget about the GPU, this is primarily about CPU performance. Dual APUs would make sense as an enthusiast grade solution with minimal R&D cost to AMD. Right now, there is no AMD equivalent to an i7 because they don't want to put time and resources into what they view as a lost cause. And that's fine, I'm not their mother, AMD can do what ever they want. In light of this, dual APU machines do seem like a mutually beneficial solution, does it not? We get an i7 alternative and AMD doesn't have to do much to make this work. I'm not trying to find AN application for APUs, they already have a home in low power laptops. What I'm trying to do is find a realistic, enthusiast level application for APUs.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             

CPU
               WD Green 2TB

APUs actually becoming good? 

Now with 30% more APU!

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.