How much money minimum per year do you need to live comfortably and be happy?

DeViLzzz

I put my expenses at $170K+ with the most expensive stuff being $36,500 on gambling ($100 per day) and $60,000 for a harness racing horse and expenses related to it.  Other costs $9,000 rent, $3,600 for cable/ISP, $1200 for cell phone service, $12000 for food, $4,000 for pc upgrades, $4,000 for tv/pc displays, $3,000 for transportation and a good chunk of change on other entertainment/travel.

How much would you need?

I guess really if I am honest for me I would say I need closer to $200K+.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Well my family's mortgage has been finally paid off (8 years) so around 75k a year.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Is this a joke?

No just thinking about money tonight and what I would need to make me really happy in terms of finances.  Is there anything wrong with discussing this in off topic?  I hardly think not.

Also if you noticed I didn't ask for $1 million, $10 million, $25 million or anything like that.  Yeah I talked about a good chunk of change but ..

Well my family's mortgage has been finally paid off (8 years) so around 75k a year.

Gratz on paying the mortgage off.  

Gratz on paying the mortgage off.  

thank you, have to finish paying off the car though.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Well I've lived on sub $10k per year and been very happy. I make much more than that now and am not necessarily happy. Though I have no debts or dependents, so my primary expense is travel, which I like to do a lot of.

1. How are you paying for all of this if you are disabled?

2.36500$ for gambling? Dude. That's way too much.

3. 9000$ for rent? And 4x for gambling... Dude. 

I get rougly 3k € from my parents to live per month and I'm more than comfortable with it. But then again I don't need to pay rent because I own my apartment. I'd say 50 Grand or so. 

Well I've lived on sub $10k per year and been very happy. I make much more than that now and am not necessarily happy. Though I have no debts or dependents, so my primary expense if travel, which I like to do a lot of.

At sub $10k per year you are quite limited in what you can do but heck there are people that take a vow of poverty and are very happy so I guess I have to believe you were happy living off $10k.  I guess you didn't want much.

$60,000 for a harness racing horse and expenses related to it.

god help you if you hurt that horse...

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

At sub $10k per year you are quite limited in what you can do but heck there are people that take a vow of poverty and are very happy so I guess I have to believe you were happy living off $10k.  I guess you didn't want much.

I was 15 and living by myself scrubbing dishes for a living. It was people who made that experience.

But yea material goods don't do a great deal for me. I own plenty of nice stuff I guess, but if I have the choice when spending money I'll usually spend it on travel. 

1. How are you paying for all of this if you are disabled?

2.36500$ for gambling? Dude. That's way too much.

3. 9000$ for rent? And 4x for gambling... Dude. 

I get rougly 3k € from my parents to live per month and I'm more than comfortable with it. But then again I don't need to pay rent because I own my apartment. I'd say 50 Grand or so. 

Izaya Orihara where did I bring up my real personal expenses?  Where did I say I was getting this much to do any of this?  Also I happen to like to bet horses and with the way I bet them which is poorly I would need $36,500 per year to guarantee I have money to bet every night on them.  I am allowed that as my form of entertainment.  I would do other things that don't cost a penny so whatever.  Also $9000 for rent is because despite having $200K or more I would still love to rent the place I am in.  Simple as that.

god help you if you hurt that horse...

Snickerzz I would look at racing one cheap claimer with my uncle and aunt helping with the horse.

I was 15 and living by myself scrubbing dishes for a living. It was people who made that experience.

But yea material goods don't do a great deal for me. I own plenty of nice stuff I guess, but if I have the choice when spending money I'll usually spend it on travel. 

In regards to the material things some of my expenses would not be there per year.  I would not always need to upgrade my pcs or buy new tvs or displays for my pcs/gaming systems.  Also a good chunk of money would be delegated to travel for sure.  I didn't show the full breakdown there.  

... and quite honestly I was just looking for others to share what they felt they needed to live comfortable but everything always seems to lead into these discussions with moral judgements and so on lol

Thanks for sharing this information.  I read the first article as it was short and sweet and easy to read at 2:50 am.  As for the second one I looked over it quick and found it interesting enough I will take a look at it seriously at a later time when I am more awake. :)

Snickerzz I would look at racing one cheap claimer with my uncle and aunt helping with the horse.

if his heart bursts im coming after you

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Izaya Orihara where did I bring up my real personal expenses?  Where did I say I was getting this much to do any of this?  Also I happen to like to bet horses and with the way I bet them which is poorly I would need $36,500 per year to guarantee I have money to bet every night on them.  I am allowed that as my form of entertainment.  I would do other things that don't cost a penny so whatever.  Also $9000 for rent is because despite having $200K or more I would still love to rent the place I am in.  Simple as that.

Ah so this is hypothetical couldn't tell. 

with the 330k/ SEK something a year i have im living like a boss, but i would not mind 500k/SEK  :)

I am not sure wth this all means that you have said.  What currency are we talking here and what does it transfer into in Canadian or US funds?

Also in regards to the 170k/SEK what would you need that extra money for?

I put my expenses at $170K+ with the most expensive stuff being $36,500 on gambling ($100 per day) and $60,000 for a harness racing horse and expenses related to it.  Other costs $9,000 rent, $3,600 for cable/ISP, $1200 for cell phone service, $12000 for food, $4,000 for pc upgrades, $4,000 for tv/pc displays, $3,000 for transportation and a good chunk of change on other entertainment/travel.

How much would you need?

I guess really if I am honest for me I would say I need closer to $200K+.

Where do you work?

I am not sure wth this all means that you have said.  What currency are we talking here and what does it transfer into in Canadian or US funds?

Also in regards to the 170k/SEK what would you need that extra money for?

Swedish money. 1 SEK = 0.15~  USD

as for the extra 170k, well it would go to a house, tools, more cats and some other stuff.

Where do you work?

To put it bluntly even when I did work which was at Subway and in corn fields I uh did not make close to $200K.  Also I am not educated enough to get a job where I could command a salary of $200K or more.  I guess maybe you wanted to be helpful possibly and tell me how I could save money or invest it but definitely not possible in my position right now.

$36k for a house, $24k for Cars, $5k for pc, $20k for other electronics, $8k for living costs, $6k for medical aid, $10k for petrol, $6k for entertainment = $115k so to live like a boss i would need to earn $230k per year

$36k for a house, $24k for Cars, $5k for pc, $20k for other electronics, $8k for living costs, $6k for medical aid, $10k for petrol, $6k for entertainment = $115k so to live like a boss i would need to earn $230k per year

Thanks for sharing this.  This gets the thread back headed in the right direction.  I was just curious to see what minimums people would want to live comfortably and be happy ... about their finances .. relaxed with them and so on.