should i dual boot?/need help doing a dual boot with win8/linuxmint

so idk, should i dual boot with win 8.1 and linux mint? So far i am liking linux's UI and other features, but have not even scratch the surface with the file saving system. 

So what are there any benefits to gaming/rendering on linux? Or stuff like that. Also how to dual boot in the frist place, my dad has a dual boot laptop, running winxp and win7, so i know how you have to select that one u want when u boot up the pc. But how to i install both? from what i have heard, i make a partion in the drive, then i just load the Os onto that, although when i loaded linux onto one of my test benches a few days ago it never asked what drive to install it on, it just said "we have detected that you have 7.8gbs available on your drive" and it installed it.

anyhelp?

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

you can't game on Linux, the few games that are supported run slower than on Windows and I don't believe you even can render on Linux

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

you can't game on Linux, the few games that are supported run slower than on Windows and I don't believe you even can render on Linux

in that case, i will probably not, cause i got like 13 other pc i can install it on

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Go to disk management and create a new partition, say 20 GB. Download the *.iso for Mint that you want. Download this (this one if you're at "that program"). Plug in a USB and put the image using that program. Boot your computer and select your USB. On the desktop there's a option to install Mint, go through the options and select your 20 GB (in this case) partition. Should be done.

-thafacksnips-

That post was useful.

You can game on Linux with those that have support and if you've got a gpu like something from AMD with OpenCL support you usually get better performance than on Windows.

You can render on Linux by the way, just need programs that are supported on Linux.

Go to disk management and create a new partition, say 20 GB. Download the *.iso for Mint that you want. Download this (this one if you're at "that program"). Plug in a USB and put the image using that program. Boot your computer and select your USB. On the desktop there's a option to install Mint, go through the options and select your 20 GB (in this case) partition. Should be done.

That post was useful.

You can game on Linux with those that have support and if you've got a gpu like something from AMD with OpenCL support you usually get better performance than on Windows.

You can render on Linux by the way, just need programs that are supported on Linux.

yeah i installed mint that way on my test bench

Just download virtualbox and set up linux mint in that. It is a lot easier (not that dual-booting is hard) and quick, if you are wanting to try different linux distros.  If you find yourself on the virtual machine a lot, then dualboot.

so idk, should i dual boot with win 8.1 and linux mint? So far i am liking linux's UI and other features, but have not even scratch the surface with the file saving system. 

So what are there any benefits to gaming/rendering on linux? Or stuff like that. Also how to dual boot in the frist place, my dad has a dual boot laptop, running winxp and win7, so i know how you have to select that one u want when u boot up the pc. But how to i install both? from what i have heard, i make a partion in the drive, then i just load the Os onto that, although when i loaded linux onto one of my test benches a few days ago it never asked what drive to install it on, it just said "we have detected that you have 7.8gbs available on your drive" and it installed it.

anyhelp?

Linux doesn't have a UI, or other features that you would notice. I think you should learn more about it before you dual boot.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Just download virtualbox and set up linux mint in that. It is a lot easier (not that dual-booting is hard) and quick, if you are wanting to try different linux distros.  If you find yourself on the virtual machine a lot, then dualboot.

link to virtual Box? also i heard that virtual machines dont work in win8 anymore?

Linux doesn't have a UI, or other features that you would notice. I think you should learn more about it before you dual boot.

i have Linux Mint installed on my test bench, for the third time... and yes, it has a "user interface" (UI)... and yes i think it looks good

Steam has over 500 Linux compatible games and growing, Linux runs the games better.Don't dual boot just use a VM for Linux distros then go all Linux when your ready if u want. Tty Manjaro or Xubuntu.

Windows 8 doesn't play to nice with dual boots, but if u partition it and get the boot loaders setup correctly u should be all g.

link to virtual Box? also i heard that virtual machines dont work in win8 anymore?

i have Linux Mint installed on my test bench, for the third time... and yes, it has a "user interface" (UI)... and yes i think it looks good

Linux does not have a UI. Do you understand that Linux is not an operating system? It is merely a kernel. It is a monolithic kernel, and the rest of the OS is what is known as GNU. The proper term for most Linux is GNU/Linux because Linux is only a kernel. On top of that, GNU does not have a UI either. The UI is provided by what we call a desktop environment or a window manager.

Linux Mint comes with a desktop environment called Cinnamon by default. The other major desktop environments include GNOME, Unity, Xfce, LXDE, KDE, MATE, and Cinnamon. All of these can be used with any distribution of GNU/Linux. 

Window managers are lightweight ways of multitasking in a minimalist windowed environment. OS X also supports custom window managers as a matter of fact, however Windows does not. OpenBSD comes with a window manger known as FVWM by default, but that's a BSD. Window managers can also be used on whatever distro you please. Popular window managers include OpenBox, Xmonad, Fluxbox, Blackbox, ratpoison, dwm, Ion, and Awesome.

The overall point of this post is that the UI is not the biggest difference between distros, you shouldn't choose the distro based on the desktop environment or window manager, and if you really want to get into Linux I suggest you start with Arch Linux or Parabola.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Linux does not have a UI. Do you understand that Linux is not an operating system? It is merely a kernel. It is a monolithic kernel, and the rest of the OS is what is known as GNU. The proper term for most Linux is GNU/Linux because Linux is only a kernel. On top of that, GNU does not have a UI either. The UI is provided by what we call a desktop environment or a window manager.

Linux Mint comes with a desktop environment called Cinnamon by default. The other major desktop environments include GNOME, Unity, Xfce, LXDE, KDE, MATE, and Cinnamon. All of these can be used with any distribution of GNU/Linux. 

Window managers are lightweight ways of multitasking in a minimalist windowed environment. OS X also supports custom window managers as a matter of fact, however Windows does not. OpenBSD comes with a window manger known as FVWM by default, but that's a BSD. Window managers can also be used on whatever distro you please. Popular window managers include OpenBox, Xmonad, Fluxbox, Blackbox, ratpoison, dwm, Ion, and Awesome.

The overall point of this post is that the UI is not the biggest difference between distros, you shouldn't choose the distro based on the desktop environment or window manager, and if you really want to get into Linux I suggest you start with Arch Linux or Parabola.

call it what ever you want, but there are buttons and a GUI and windows and stuff, and yess i know, i installed cinnamon how ever i could have installed others

call it what ever you want, but there are buttons and a GUI and windows and stuff, and yess i know, i installed cinnamon how ever i could have installed others

I'm not saying you got the name wrong, I'm saying that when you say Linux has a GUI it's patently incorrect. There are several GUIs that are compatible with Linux, though none of them are actually any part of it. 

Linux is not an operating system. GNU/Linux is an operating system and Linux Mint is a distribution of GNU/Linux with the Cinnamon desktop environment.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I'm not saying you got the name wrong, I'm saying that when you say Linux has a GUI it's patently incorrect. There are several GUIs that are compatible with Linux, though none of them are actually any part of it. 

Linux is not an operating system. GNU/Linux is an operating system and Linux Mint is a distribution of GNU/Linux with the Cinnamon desktop environment.

there we go, now you got it right :)

there we go, now you got it right :)

Now I got it right? I've been saying that for the past three posts, and on top of that, I undoubtedly know more about Linux than you do.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Now I got it right? I've been saying that for the past three posts, and on top of that, I undoubtedly know more about Linux than you do.

Really? What is the point of this post? Please do not post ridiculous statements like this that do not contribute to the OP.  Yes, Linux is a kernel but we all know what he meant by referring to it as an OS. 

As for VirtualBox, it works in Windows 8 and I have no idea where you heard that statement.

Really? What is the point of this post? Please do not post ridiculous statements like this that do not contribute to the OP.  Yes, Linux is a kernel but we all know what he meant by referring to it as an OS. 

Because he corrected me, as if I got it wrong, when he got it wrong initially in the OP.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /