The Macbook Pro is actually NOT overpriced (With Ultrabook/Notebook Comparison Chart)

Henry

Yes it is mostly Haswell. I misspoke if I said otherwise the first time. OS X is also much more optimized. +1 for correcting me. Edit: I did say it's not only Haswell, which you didn't disagree with.

The Pro 3 is barely half a pound lighter, and on top of that, they claim 9 hours of battery life and don't produce it except when web browsing on Wi-Fi with their specific footnote lab conditions. That's a lie as far as I'm concerned, and the MacBook frequently gets better battery life than Apple says it does, and almost never gets worse.

I absolutely agree macbooks get fantastic battery life - apple already had the best battery lives before haswell, but i read your post thinking you were attributing the jump to apple. Upon closer inspection you are spot on - a lot of people comparing macbooks to laptops give unfair advantages to windows machines. Apple have many faults, but if there was ever a machine they did almost completely right it's the macbook. Now if only they could release one with a decent gpu...

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

macbooks are high in price. They don't offer cheap alternatives. That's why its expensive. They only offer high costing stuff. I have co e across notebooks and ultrabooks that are similar in specs but slightly cheaper. Yes, its not as bad as everyone says but you can't get cheap new computer from apple.

Added the XPS 12. Im surprised how bad Dell's pricing is..The base model XPS 12 is still better than stupid Macbook Air thats for sure.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

I didn't discount the personal preference point. I even gave an example of it in my post.

if something can do the same thing just as well, for 1/10 of the price, then the more expensive choice is overpriced.

Again, tolerating the high price does not mean the device isn't overpriced. My Galaxy S 4 was overpriced as hell. I think cutting the price in half would be reasonable. I still bought it though.

If I managed to trick some people into buying cans of air (no not compressed air, just regular air in a can and yes this actually exists) then I would be selling something overpriced as hell. I am taking something free and selling it through clever marketing to people. Just because some people buy it doesn't mean it is reasonably priced. Roaming charges is another great example of this. It is absolutely insanely priced. Overpriced as hell. Yet people continue to get it. Do you think 13.7 USD per MB is reasonably priced, just because people are willing to pay it?

I do try to stay away from as much personal preferences and other subjective things as possible though. 50% of the population are stupider than the average person. This will probably sound really arrogant but in many ways I consider the average person extremely dumb, and therefore I put next to no value in their opinions if there are objective things you can focus on instead.

If someone went "Yes it has worse specs but I like the color of this one more" I would reply with "good for you, it's still objectively worse though and therefore you should get the other one".

The last thing we need are more fanboys and irrational thoughts determining peoples' actions.

I could probably find a Chromebook for about 200 dollars which would be able to do those simple text and image viewing tasks just fine. It won't have an aluminum body or a high res screen but is that worth 1800 dollars to you? Slightly sharper text and that it it has an aluminum (which I think is an absolutely awful material in general) body for 1800 dollars more.

I dont believe you compared the processor, ram, memory, storage, or graphics....

So I decided to compare a custom Lenovo T540p, which has the closest specs I could get to Apple's $2,299, 2.6GHz i7 4960HQ, 256GB PCIe flash storage, 15" Macbook Pro. The Lenovo has Intel HD 4600 graphics, a 2.9~3.9GHz i7-4910MQ, 8GB of dual channel memory, a 256GB Samsungg 840 Pro, Win7 Pro, 1920x1080 LCD screen and I just added IC Diamond thermal paste to the mix which came out to $1,854 for a total savings of $445. The only thing you're really missing out on with the Lenovo is tthe Retina display and the apple logo. I did whip this up quickly so there may be some flaws, which if there are, feel free to point out.

links to what i used to compare:
https://www.powernotebooks.com/configure.php?special=1765
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=ME293LL/A&step=config
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4960HQ-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4910MQ

So I decided to compare a custom Lenovo T540p, which has the closest specs I could get to Apple's $2,299, 2.6GHz i7 4960HQ, 256GB PCIe flash storage, 15" Macbook Pro. The Lenovo has Intel HD 4600 graphics, a 2.9~3.9GHz i7-4910MQ, 8GB of dual channel memory, a 256GB Samsungg 840 Pro, Win7 Pro, 1920x1080 LCD screen and I just added IC Diamond thermal paste to the mix which came out to $1,854 for a total savings of $445. The only thing you're really missing out on with the Lenovo is tthe Retina display and the apple logo. I did whip this up quickly so there may be some flaws, which if there are, feel free to point out.

links to what i used to compare:

https://www.powernotebooks.com/configure.php?special=1765

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=ME293LL/A&step=config

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4960HQ-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4910MQ

Sup Austin.

1. 1880p versus 1080p. 1600p monitors are like 400 bucks for a big name brand. 1080p is like 150.

2. Not IPS

3. Samsung ssd's are like 50 cents per gb for normal ssd's. PCIe ssd's are over 1 dollar per gb and have about double the performance.

4. Intel Iris pro versus Intel HD 4600.

5. Much better build quality for the rMBP. And like Linus says, ID is very expensive.

6. Much lighter and thinner, and the engineering to do that is expensive.

7. Much better battery life

i still think MacBook Pro can be cut a little price.

But i do agree Mac Pro has a very stunning design , high end workstation parts ( look at dem Xeon E-5 !) 
But for laptop ill go with the MacAir , extremely lighweight and good price.  

CPU: Intel i5-4670K CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1 Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz 16GB Storage:  Samsung 850 evo 250GB ,1TB WD BLUE, Seagate Barracuda 2TB GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX970 4GB Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair AX760 Full Modular Monitor: Dell 23" S2340L IPS Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Mouse: Logitech G502(w/ Mi Metal Mousepad) Headphone: Audio Technica ATH-M50/MSR-7 Speaker: Edifier Studio 7 R2730DB

Nothing can beat the price of my Latitude E6500. (Free. But I had to buy a screen for like $50.) It's actually not too bad. 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo and a overclocked 256MB Quadro. The battery is decent. (It really doesn't sound that good compared to new laptops, but it was FREE.)

As for Macs, I like the designs but I hate the OS and they're just way too expensive for me. I've had a Powerbook G3 and an iBook G4 before. (With the G4 I just overclocked the GPU and played around with it for awhile before harvesting good parts and chucking it.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Nothing can beat the price of my Latitude E6500. (Free. But I had to buy a screen for like $50.) It's actually not too bad. 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo and a overclocked 256MB Quadro. The battery is decent. (It really doesn't sound that good compared to new laptops, but it was FREE.)

As for Macs, I like the designs but I hate the OS and they're just way too expensive for me. I've had a Powerbook G3 and an iBook G4 before. (With the G4 I just overclocked the GPU and played around with it for awhile before harvesting good parts and chucking it.)

With the rMBP u get what u pay for, but it is expensive since the parts are excellent. Macs back then had bad pricing. Actually just 2 years ago with the normal MBP. MBA is overpriced too, not that much,but it is.

U can always install windows if u hate OS X

But i do agree Mac Pro has a very stunning design , high end workstation parts ( look at dem Xeon E-5 !) 

macbook air is kind of overpriced. I'd rather get the Dell XPS 12 on Amazon for super cheap. Retina macbook pro is a much better deal.

I agree. Some price cuts would be nice, but either way it's still competitively priced which is nice.

macbook air is kind of overpriced. I'd rather get the Dell XPS 12 on Amazon for super cheap. Retina macbook pro is a much better deal.

I agree. Some price cuts would be nice, but either way it's still competitively priced which is nice.

Mac Air will be nice for office use because i work in factory and i need to walk around almost everyday, a lightweight laptop is more concerned.

yes 2 years ago i would totally said apple is overpriced and bash on them , but things improve overtime, apple does have competitive price point and durable hardware+software.

heck i even seen the iBook G4 still able to run after all these years, compare to other brands (IM LOOKING AT YOU ACER). 

CPU: Intel i5-4670K CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1 Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz 16GB Storage:  Samsung 850 evo 250GB ,1TB WD BLUE, Seagate Barracuda 2TB GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX970 4GB Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair AX760 Full Modular Monitor: Dell 23" S2340L IPS Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Mouse: Logitech G502(w/ Mi Metal Mousepad) Headphone: Audio Technica ATH-M50/MSR-7 Speaker: Edifier Studio 7 R2730DB

I honestly don't think the Macbook is overpriced, 2 weeks ago i got my girlfriend a Retina Macbook because she needed a new one.

Let me start out by saying a have a 2011 15" Macbook pro which I totally love and still do, I also have to gaming rigs running windows. So I'm not one those who "hasn't experienced windows, gaming performance bla bla bla".

Anyway our requirements for the laptop was;

- Around 13"

- Great battery life

- SSD, storage is not an issue

- Have a great build quality

She doesn't really play games, but when she do its Hearthstone or WoW. 

I was looking a lot at the Lenovo Yoga Pro (whatever its called) because it was pretty much what we needed, however we didn't like the flip thing, and my girlfriend is not a fan of windows, she want something that just plain out works for an average user. That's why we ended up getting the Retina Macbook. It's a little bit pricey but we think it was worth it, and isn't that what matters? Being satisfied with your purchase. And it runs WoW and Hearthstone perfectly fine.

Rig 1: CPU i7 3770k @ stock Memory Kingston HyperX Black 8 GB @ 1600 Mhz GPU Asus GTX 670 PSU Corsair AX760i Case Corsair 450D Storage Kingston Hyperx 3K 120 GB, WD Blue 1 TB Display Benq XL2420T.

Rig 2: CPU i7-920 @ stock Memory Kingston Blu 8 GB GPU 2x Club 3D GTX 560 PSU Corsair GS700 v1 Case Fractal Desgin Define R4 Storage OCZ Agility 128GB, WD Blue 500GB, 3x WD Blue 500 GB (RAID5).

Tell me exactly which upgrades :\

Remember, it also upgrades the expensive ass PCIe SSDs which are over $1/gb. Like a bit more.

Well for the base model MBP retina an upgrade from 8gb ram to 16 is $200.

Also the upgrade from a 256gb ssd to a 512gb is $300 and the 1tb is $800.

Another Mac vs PC debate. Enough.

Or think of it as a PC vs PC and look purely at specs.

Well for the base model MBP retina an upgrade from 8gb ram to 16 is $200.

Also the upgrade from a 256gb ssd to a 512gb is $300 and the 1tb is $800.

Okay the RAM upgrade is definitely overpriced.

256gb to 512 gb is fine. thats a 256gb increase, and about over $1/gb for PCIe ssds if u buy them yourself, so thats like $300, so thats well priced.

1000-256=744gb increase. again, about over 1 dollar per gb, and that would be about $800.

With the rMBP u get what u pay for, but it is expensive since the parts are excellent. Macs back then had bad pricing. Actually just 2 years ago with the normal MBP. MBA is overpriced too, not that much,but it is.

U can always install windows if u hate OS X

If I had the money I would get a MBP and put Windows on it, but I don't so..

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

All this thread has done is told me that maybe I should review my Mac, provide some actual insight from someone who has at least one device from every single company on Earth, and input some unbiased perspective on things. 

This thread hurts. Guise pls, you're torturing bandwidth here. The points have been made. Minds have (or have not) been swayed. 

Let this serve as a reminder of what happens every single time someone makes a thread praising or bashing Apple and their products and their customers. It never ends cleanly. 

All this thread has done is told me that maybe I should review my Mac, provide some actual insight from someone who has at least one device from every single company on Earth, and input some unbiased perspective on things. 

This thread hurts. Guise pls, you're torturing bandwidth here. The points have been made. Minds have (or have not) been swayed. 

Let this serve as a reminder of what happens every single time someone makes a thread praising or bashing Apple and their products and their customers. It never ends cleanly.

just treat it like a normal pc and look at the specs. People dont seem to understand that

just treat it like a normal pc and look at the specs. People dont seem to understand that

Normal people don't even look at the specs. 

Specs are something that exist to aide in penis measuring contests. Specs are a zero sum game, since someone can always beat you. 

Buy and use what makes you happy and stop trying to interject your opinions on others, regardless of what you think. You'll all be happier that way. If someone likes spending more or less than they need to, let them. Why do you care? Worry about your own things. 

Buy and use what makes you happy and stop trying to interject your opinions on others, regardless of what you think. You'll all be happier that way. If someone likes spending more or less than they need to, let them. Why do you care? Worry about your own things. 

I care. I think it's important to inform people so that they will make the right decisions. Keeping knowledge to yourself is one of the most egoistic things you can do in my opinion.

It also affects me negatively since voting with your wallet works. If I am against something (like Apple) and people buy it, then I think it's important to explain why it is bad (spends money on crippling competitors instead of making their own devices better).

This is essentially voting, and I think people are voting on someone who wants to be a dictator and strives to kill all other candidates.

None of this has to do with the Macbook Pro being a good or bad laptop.

I think it is overpriced, and I have explained why I think that. I think the other laptops that it has been compared to are also very overpriced. It's a great laptop in the same sense that a Rolls-Royce is a great car.

I get that some people want it because they think it's luxurious (if you can call their sloppy thermal paste job, gluing things together, making it out of recycled soda cans etc "luxurious") but that still doesn't mean you should get it. A door stop made out of gold is luxurious, but unless you like wasting money you shouldn't get one.

That's my reasoning.

Get something that suits the task at hand. Don't waste money because you don't like thinking about which one would be best.

This topic is just stupid honestly. All the educated people in the world know that the MBP is not overpriced. The idiots and windows fanboys do not know this. End of the story end of life...

Interested in Business and Technology

Your reasoning is that you don't think its worth it, so you don't buy it. That makes sense. And it should stop there. Who are you to decide that other people are wrong? Thats what you come off as. What does it matter to you that people buy Rolls Royces or golden door stoppers? Clearly it means nothing to you, but are you going to try and assign value for others? 

Like you said, you think ultrabooks are overpriced and not worth it. So leave it at that? Are people not allowed to spend money how they wish? Is that it? You have a problem that people assign (and find) value in buying such things? 

Thats kinda messed up logic. 

I spent 2500 on a lens. Thats more than most of your computers I wager. Thats more than most of you have probably ever earned from a job (judging by the age of people here). So am I wrong in that? Its just a lens, it happens to be much better built and thus carries a high price tag among other reasons, like these ultra books that have long lasting batteries and high resolution displays, it uses coatings and lens elements that most people don't care about, and quite honestly its focal range is a little limited compared to even cheaper lenses. But am I wrong in spending 2500 on a lens that I find value in? Am I? According to your (flawed) logic, I am. I shouldn't waste my money on this, I should get the basic one because its "good enough". 

Just like I have little reason to justify why I have a suitcase of lenses that is worth around 10 grand, people who buy ultrabooks or Macs or whatever else don't need to justify their reasons, and largely they don't. Because they don't care how other people spend their money, why are you so concerned with it? My parents gave me a good lesson; don't worry about how others spend their money. There will always be richer and poorer people than you, you can't control that. You can't judge how they spend, you can't try and make sense of what they do with their belongings. You only should worry about how you live. Worry about how you spend. Don't ever explain it to random people, or even to us. If you think there is value, that is your decision. No one else can judge you for that. 

I live by that rule. So in the same way I don't judge close friends for spending 500,000 on a car (and they have, actually spent more than that), I don't judge or frankly care what people use as a laptop and what their justifications are for it. I don't need to hear them. People don't need to listen to a bunch of nerds convince them otherwise. 

People buy what they like. The market determines whats overpriced. The demand is there, these will keep selling. One day the demand will drop, these will either disappear or they'll get cheaper. I don't have a crystal ball, so I can't make that call. 

BTW, aluminum is efficiently recycled and extracted after it has been used. Insulting Macs for that is kinda stupid, since most things in production tend to make use of "2nd hand aluminum" which is structurally pure and thus still as good as the stuff that got pulled out of the ground. But hey, since we are saying some really questionable stuff, you might as well keep putting your foot in your mouth...

This topic is just stupid honestly. All the educated people in the world know that the MBP is not overpriced. The idiots and windows fanboys do not know this. End of the story end of life...

It is, but if people can't insult others for what they buy and gain validation in their own choices, this forum would quickly collapse. People here are too concerned with how others live their lives. 

Wanna know what's stupid? Baseless insults and no solid arguments.

Just saying "X is stupid. Anyone who thinks different is just a fanboy and an idiot. Everyone who agrees with me is smart!" adds absolutely nothing to the discussion.

I have posted my reasoning in the post above yours. If you want to contribute then you could reply to that.

Wanna know what's stupid? Baseless insults and no solid arguments.

Just saying "X is stupid. Anyone who thinks different is just a fanboy and an idiot. Everyone who agrees with me is smart!" adds absolutely nothing to the discussion.

I have posted my reasoning in the post above yours. If you want to contribute then you could reply to that.

My argument is that all the educated people know it. It's an argument and it is 100% true.

I have countless topics on the forum explaining that apple is not overpriced ( except for iMac maybe.) and people never listen, i am tired of it.

Interested in Business and Technology

The MB Pro isn't a Ultrabook, it's aimed at content creation. It might be very slim and light but you can get more power for the same amount of money if you ignore the slimness and lightness.

i'm a potato