780 ti vs 780 for 1080p

Ace307

Hello

This will be my first pc build. I've picked out all the other components but im stuck on the gpu. i looked at benchmarks and the 780 is above 60 fps in some but below that in others. will i be over 60 fps in most to all games?   

780 will do that in most games on near max settings, for example, Assassins creed black flag at total max settings caps out at the locked 60, while far cry 3 will dip down to 45-50 at times :(

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

The 780 is perfectly good for 1080p. You should be maxing out just about everything and getting 60+ fps.

nether 

the 780 and up are a waste of money at 1080p get a 770 or 280(x) 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

At 1080p I would save money and get the 780 or even a 770

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

780 will run pretty much everything maxed out at 1080p, and will easily do 1440p as well. 780 has a better price/performance ratio than the 780 Ti, so save a couple 100 and still get great performance.

By the way, don't forget to look at AMD cards, too! For the same price as a high end 780, you can get a lower end R9 290x from some companies like XFX and Powercolor which will grant you even better performance than the 780, and similar performance to the 780 Ti for a fraction of the cost.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

780 is perfect+ now and will remain perfect for a good while for 1080p.

780, 780Ti is a waste of money, or get a 290 and save some money and get 3 games

780 will do that in most games on near max settings, for example, Assassins creed black flag at total max settings caps out at the locked 60, while far cry 3 will dip down to 45-50 at times :(

The 780 is perfectly good for 1080p. You should be maxing out just about everything and getting 60+ fps.

how much will ocing help

R9 290! But GTX 780 if you must. 780 Ti is just not worth it in my opinion.

nether 

the 780 and up are a waste of money at 1080p get a 770 or 280(x) 

Its not really a waste of money, they're just expensive. A 770 can sometimes max out everything and still get 60 fps, but a 780 usually can. :)

Well I am getting a 780 ti for my 1080p monitor but that's because I am picky and want max settings 60 fps every game so...

Just get a 780 and don't be insane jacking up ALL the settings. They really don't make the game prettier after a certain point.

how much will ocing help

Linus overclocks all of his cards. This video's benchmarks show the results of overclocking.

Just get a 780 and don't be insane jacking up ALL the settings. They really don't make the game prettier after a certain point.

but thats why im building a pc so i can max out ALL the settings

It doesn't look any better.. You're only lagging the game for a placebo effect of the game looking better. Difference between 4x MSAA and 8x MSAA? Nothing. So there's no point in wasting the power for something you can hardly ever see.

Linus overclocks all of his cards. This video's benchmarks show the results of overclocking.

okay thanks im still a little uneasy because of the far cry 3 test being 49 fps

I got my 780 OC'd as high as i can, it runs badly optimized games like Watch dogs at near 60 on ultra so its fine, tho im wanting a second one for SLI to get even more power :/

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

It doesn't look any better.. You're only lagging the game for a placebo effect of the game looking better. Difference between 4x MSAA and 8x MSAA? Nothing. So there's no point in wasting the power for something you can hardly ever see.

okay yea good point

If you have a 60hz monitor then I would recommend the 780, if not then definitely the 780ti for 100fps+ 144hz gaming with ultra details in every game. 

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

780TI is an over kill for 1080p.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

If you have a 60hz monitor then I would recommend the 780, if not then definitely the 780ti for 100fps+ 144hz gaming with ultra details in every game. 

yea its a benq 120hz

780TI is an over kill for 1080p.

do you overclock your 780?