should i buy an amp for a sennheiser hd560s

GreenLeaf
Go to solution Solved by Cocococo,
40 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

This is OP's second thread of providing extremely minimal information and zero context on every reply.

They are trying to find a headphone, microphone, and XLR setup for $650 so that they provide voiceover audio for tech videos for their boss.

That's... really easy to solve lmao, Motu M2 interface and some variety of Shure XLR mic, probably a SM58, then a pair of HD560S for monitoring/ editing.

and should i even buy this headphones?

Headphones yes, they're some of the best sub $200 headphones out there, amp not needed though

3 minutes ago, Cocococo said:

Headphones yes, they're some of the best sub $200 headphones out there, amp not needed though

there are 120 ohm tho

Depends a bit on what you will be using to listen to them. If you plug them into your motherboard, it can sound hilariously bad. In that case you might be better of to buy a $10 apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. They work pretty well. But I wouldn't worry about it beforehand.

Just now, adm0n said:

Depends a bit on what you will be using to listen to them. If you plug them into your motherboard, it can sound hilariously bad. In that case you might be better of to buy a $10 apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. They work pretty well. But I wouldn't worry about it beforehand.

are you serious right now

i also need an xlr interface

41 minutes ago, GreenLeaf said:

there are 120 ohm tho

Ohms isn't a number that is important with headphones, sensitivity tells you much more about how difficult the headphones are to power, I have 350ohm FiiO FT3's that need a lot less volume than some 32ohm Hifiman HE400SE's. It's a really easy mistake to make, here's a general-ish rule of thumb for sensitivities to watch out for: below 95db absolutely need a good amp. 96-100db shouldn't need a crazy powerful amplifier at all, an Apple USB-C dongle is more than enough for this kind of sensitivity. 101db and above doesn't need any external amplification, there's a lot of incredibly good headphones above 100db sensitivity, don't make the mistake of believing low sensitivity/ high ohms = better headphone. 

1 hour ago, GreenLeaf said:

are you serious right now

i also need an xlr interface

I just said it can be pretty bad, it all depends on how the audio interface is set up on your motherboard. but worst case scenario, is that you need a $10 dongle. Best case, you don't need anything. You won't need an XLR interface!

2 hours ago, GreenLeaf said:

there are 120 ohm tho

My old, old, old Z87 motherboard was able to drive HD580 just fine and when I upgraded to HD650 which are 350ohm it could barely drive them to usable levels so I had to grab AMP as well. IMO, just get the headphones and get AMP later if you'll feel like you need one.

1 hour ago, adm0n said:

You won't need an XLR interface!

This is OP's second thread of providing extremely minimal information and zero context on every reply.

They are trying to find a headphone, microphone, and XLR setup for $650 so that they provide voiceover audio for tech videos for their boss.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

40 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

That's... really easy to solve lmao, Motu M2 interface and some variety of Shure XLR mic, probably a SM58, then a pair of HD560S for monitoring/ editing.

34 minutes ago, Cocococo said:

SM58 are actually pretty trash unless heavily toyed with like on a stage configuration in front of 1000 people, recommendation would be some Lewitt plus the M2 or maybe a Studio 24C as it comes with the Universal Control which allows you to set up effects, compression, etc onboard. Cheaper than the M2 as well. Bit lower end codecs, though, not that it matters with setup in that price range and a good mic.

11 hours ago, adm0n said:

I just said it can be pretty bad, it all depends on how the audio interface is set up on your motherboard. but worst case scenario, is that you need a $10 dongle. Best case, you don't need anything. You won't need an XLR interface!

ii need an xlr microphone for the microphone

9 hours ago, Cocococo said:

as easy as that @saintlouisbagels

46 minutes ago, GreenLeaf said:

my guy.. it was only easy because I compiled all of your requirements into 1 post..

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

3 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

my guy.. it was only easy because I compiled all of your requirements into 1 post..

whatever... my conclusion a Shure sm7b and a Sennheiser HD 560s

about an audio interface for the Shure sm7b i need do more research cause i am a total noob in the audiophile world (as well as gaming)

54 minutes ago, GreenLeaf said:

You didn't mention any of this in your post, when you're looking for advice it is usually a good idea to actually say everything you want advice for. I had no clue you were looking for an XLR interface or a mic for voiceovers 

Just now, Cocococo said:

You didn't mention any of this in your post, when you're looking for advice it is usually a good idea to actually say everything you want advice for. I had no clue you were looking for an XLR interface or a mic for voiceovers 

i tried to research just on the headphones and than i got here...

9 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Combined with your profile pic, you seem very much like an exhausted parent. Keep up the good work! 

2 hours ago, adm0n said:

Combined with your profile pic, you seem very much like an exhausted parent. Keep up the good work! 

agree lol