Win 8.1 vs Win 7 for gaming.

cam_96

Which one should I get? I'm on a budget so I can't get any professional version. I don't want to get it for free if you know what I mean, or pay cheaper for a key (g2a). I already have win 8.1 for my laptop and I don't mind it, as it boots fast and has some other nice features.

linus has already done a video where he compares game performance between Win 8 and Win 7

linus has already done a video where he compares game performance between Win 8 and Win 7

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

8.1 has more preformance advantages, get rid of metro ui and it's not half bad.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

*video*

That's W8, not 8.1.

I don't own a license of either OS so I don't know how different/similar they are, though.

8.1 has more preformance advantages, get rid of metro ui and it's not half bad.

Yeah, Windows 9 betta bring back Aero!!!

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

That's W8, not 8.1.

I don't own a license of either OS so I don't know how different/similar they are, though.

Oh, well that's the only one of Linus' I found. 

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

Yeah, Windows 9 betta bring back Aero!!!

Yea but beta's are full of issues so use either 7 or 8.1 till 9 comes out or whatever they are going to call it. For all we know they are going to call Vista 2.0. I mean beta's are fun to mess with but if you want to actually reach a goal or something definately stay clear of them.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

8.1 shows significant advantages from both a typical use and a gaming perspectives. Fast boots, using less resources, and much better performance is several games are some of the reasons one would brave the UI to use Windows 8.1. Buyer beware, however, because if you like playing DiRT 3, then you will lose performance(as of when linus filmed his video on Windows 7 vs 8). So, in all, it comes down to you. If you don't play DiRT or any of the games that are made worse with Windows 8.1, or you have the hardware spec to not notice the difference, then go with 8.1.

Linus once unboxed a Toblerone

8.1 shows significant advantages from both a typical use and a gaming perspectives. Fast boots, using less resources, and much better performance is several games are some of the reasons one would brave the UI to use Windows 8.1. Buyer beware, however, because if you like playing DiRT 3, then you will lose performance(as of when linus filmed his video on Windows 7 vs 8). So, in all, it comes down to you. If you don't play DiRT or any of the games that are made worse with Windows 8.1, or you have the hardware spec to not notice the difference, then go with 8.1.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NZ6Tzy

I'm still on Windows 8. Honestly, I think you just go with whichever OS you like to use better.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Eh, im going to wait for W9. Hopefully DirectX 11.2 isn't exclusive to W8.1 and will be on W9!

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Eh, im going to wait for W9. Hopefully DirectX 11.2 isn't exclusive to W8.1 and will be on W9!

It probably won't as its important to many games :-)

I still use 7 mostly, but I'm sure you be happy with 8 if you installed classic shell. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I used W8 for a while.. it rly rly perform nice.. like RLY nice.. I tested with 2gb ram and runs way better than W7.. but I switched back to w7 becuz of old programs that i use, some driver issues and few other small things since windows XP we can do on w7 that w8 doesnt allowed us anymore. at least simple as w7 is. So~ You should try both for yourself, not only gaming. I would say go for w8 and if u dnt find any problems with drivers or old habits, just keep it.

Wait, can I use the product key from Windows 7 disk for 8.1!?

| PC Specs |

i5 3570K | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Asus P8Z77-V LK | Nvidia GTX 770 | 8GB GSkill RipjawsX 1600Mhz | Samsung 840 Evo 256GB | Segate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair CX 600M | Cooler Master Haf 912

Wait, can I use the product key from Windows 7 disk for 8.1!?

No.Also, unlike windows 7, windows 8 require a key before installing. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch