VAIO launches its first laptops without Sony and they're very, very familiar

Dietrichw

No Dedicated GPU, no buy.

I'd buy it for that reason. Less power usage and still great for doing work or browsing the Internetz.

I'd buy it for that reason. Less power usage and still great for doing work or browsing the Internetz.

Nvidia dedicated GPUs have something called Optimus which is just a branded way of saying it switches easily between onboard and dedicated. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Nvidia dedicated GPUs have something called Optimus which is just a branded way of saying it switches easily between onboard and dedicated.

I see no point for a dedicated gpu when all I do is browse LTT and watch YouTube.

I see no point for a dedicated gpu when all I do is browse LTT and watch YouTube.

But...but 

POWAH

Nah it's just my hate for intel GPUs. Until they get their shit together and at least match AMD apus I don't like the idea of any integrated graphics. 

One one side you are stuck with an AMD CPU, and on the other with Intel GMA graphics. Sigh. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

But...but 

POWAH

Nah it's just my hate for intel GPUs. Until they get their shit together and at least match AMD apus I don't like the idea of any integrated graphics. 

One one side you are stuck with an AMD CPU, and on the other with Intel GMA graphics. Sigh.

I think they're fine because I can watch YouTube videos in 1080p with no stutter. Other than that they're pretty bad.

I think they're fine because I can watch YouTube videos in 1080p with no stutter. Other than that they're pretty bad.

Yah it's not like they are incapable for general use, but just unacceptable for what you pay IMO. A lot of people, partically young gamers that have what they are given and can't afford buying a gaming laptop, are stuck trying to make intel GPUs work with their games. Meanwhile AMD APUs do great despite the lousy cpu performance . Since intel has such a large laptop market share for GPUs, it's a disgrace to the gaming community. If intel fixes their APUs, than that would be a HUGE step in the right direction for PC gaming, it would mean most people have access to a gaming capable PC. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Yah it's not like they are incapable for general use, but just unacceptable for what you pay IMO. A lot of people, partically young gamers that have what they are given and can't afford buying a gaming laptop, are stuck trying to make intel GPUs work with their games. Meanwhile AMD APUs do great despite the lousy cpu performance . Since intel has such a large laptop market share for GPUs, it's a disgrace to the gaming community. If intel fixes their APUs, than that would be a HUGE step in the right direction for PC gaming.

This is just me but if I were to want a gaming laptop I would pay for like a Blade. If I couldn't afford it I'd get a cheap laptop and a decent desktop.

This is just me but if I were to want a gaming laptop I would pay for like a Blade. If I couldn't afford it I'd get a cheap laptop and a decent desktop.

But that's you. SOO many people try to gaming on regular laptops. And if intel was competent at making gpus, they all could. Almost anyone with a laptop would be able to PC game if they wanted. 

BTW I like blades I plan to own one at some point. Would never outpower the laptop I'm using, but what I'm using is 12 pounds. 20 with charger.

muh specs 

All parts black

But that's you. SOO many people try to gaming on regular laptops. And if intel was competent at making gpus, they all could. Almost anyone with a laptop would be able to PC game if they wanted. 

BTW I like blades I plan to own one at some point. Would never outpower the laptop I'm using, but what I'm using is 12 pounds. 20 with charger.

And that's their fault thinking it can be done and then they whine it sucks.

And that's their fault thinking it can be done and then they whine it sucks.

People have what they have. Especially young people. Worst part is if you go to a retail sotre like best buy and ask for a laptop that can play games, they sell you an intel gma product cause "intel cpus are smarter for gaming, they are intel inside". A parent shopping for their kid has no way of knowing better

muh specs 

All parts black

People have what they have. Especially young people. Worst part is if you go to a retail sotre like best buy and ask for a laptop that can play games, they sell you an intel gma product cause "intel cpus are smarter for gaming, they are intel inside". A parent shopping for their kid has no way of knowing better

And that's why we have the Internet.

And that's why we have the Internet.

You are saying shop better I'm saying they shouldn't exist. 

I do think Intel is going down the path of improving their GPUs though. 

muh specs 

All parts black

You are saying shop better I'm saying they shouldn't exist.

I do think Intel is going down the path of improving their GPUs though.

I'm saying people should research what they're buying first. Intel has improved their iGPU a lot though. AMD has it easy because all they do is solder a cheap Radeon gpu onto their chips. Intel develops theirs from the ground up without having something that they've had for years.

I'm saying people should research what they're buying first. Intel has improved their iGPU a lot though. AMD has it easy because all they do is solder a cheap Radeon gpu onto their chips. Intel develops theirs from the ground up without having something that they've had for years.

Yo are right, taping cores and stuff together is what amd does lol, but Intel graphics have been bad for years and years. Even back in the XP days. They've had time. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Yo are right, taping cores and stuff together is what amd does lol, but Intel graphics have been bad for years and years. Even back in the XP days. They've had time.

Iris is okay?

Iris is okay?

Eh...

if they'd make that in low end laptops, as the minimum maybe. 

Cause it is around the 840m I believe. 

Not bad. 

I just want GPUs lke the hd  3000 not to exist. 

muh specs 

All parts black