June 27th 2013 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

Once again I'm relying on the community to save me from watching my own show... If you're watching the show and wouldn't mind filling in the timestamps in the below Google Doc... You're AMAZING!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SFdsFIYpeoeKNUqtic9LPgesVuJW533E8M07FizQDYM/edit#gid=39508584

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ERtbK8jCU

News Items Youtube 60fps, Crowdsourced Captions & Tip Jar
Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Arty
Source 2: twitter.com
Source 3: youtube.com
Source 4: engadget
Source 5: finance.yahoo.com
Link 1:docs.google.com
- Seems to require switching to 1080p to enjoy 60FPS as well ^_^
- Works in Chrome
- In firefox download “All html5” add on to force youtube to html5 and enjoy that smooth 60fps.
- You need more bandwidth to be able to stream 1080p.
- Captions can be crowd-sourced in up to 60 languages
- Viewers can easily "show a creator their love" by tipping any amount up to $500 (£293).
- Users will also get interactive cards to overlay on videos that directly link to their Indiegogo or Kickstarter fundraising efforts.
- The 100 most popular games channels on YouTube generated nearly 3.5 billion video views in May.
- Content creators will also get access to real-time video metrics.
- YouTube said the features will be made available in the coming months.
Ubisoft DRM
Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Twisted Dicktator
- VP of digital publishing says, "I don't want us in a position where we're punishing a paying player for what a pirate can get around."
- Ubisoft CEO claims 93-95 percent piracy rate on its PC games
- “I don’t want us in a position where we’re punishing a paying player for what a pirate can get around,”
- Observes that any DRM can be cracked given enough time
- Ponders what they need to do in terms of quality of game, services, and benefits to make people WANT to buy the game
- First dropped the always online required DRM from AC2 in 2012
- Doesn’t look like they are removing any more layers of DRM, focusing on implementing services
- Comments on the article are classic nonsense - “Games should have replay value or I shouldn’t have to pay for them”. What about food?
Android TV
Source 1: android.com/tv/
Source 2: nvidia.com
- All features with images in source 1.
- Android TV features a clean, elegant version of the familiar Android interface that’s optimized for the living room.
- Allows for multiplayer gaming with people on android tablets.
- Tight integration with other android devices such as the ability to use Android Watch as a D-pad to flip through menu.
- Google said: “This isn’t a new platform, they are simple giving TVs the same level of attention as phones and tablets.”
- A Tegra-powered Android TV dev kit is available today.
Razer Micro Console (Android TV)
Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Dietrichw
Source 2: engadget.com
Source 3: cnet.com
- Image (RENDER) in Source 2.
- Unnamed so far.
- It will stream content for living-room entertainment, competing against products like the Roku, Apple TV, and Kindle Fire, not to mention Google's own Chromecast.
- Razer's promising "hardcore" gaming.
- Razer's saying; "In keeping with the spirit of Google I/O, we will not be discussing specific product details at this time."
- Interface navigation will be managed by Android TV.
- Available this fall.
- Xorbot in the forum had a great point for all the h8ers saying “Ouya and MOJO were commercial failures, this will be too” - How many consoles were unsuccessful or moderately successful until the NES made the formula work?
PS Now Prices Leaked
Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: dlf
Source 2: forbes.com
Link 1: imgur.com/a
- Game store pages in Link 1.
- $4-7 USD to rent a game for a week depending on the game
- You can rent for 4 hours, 7 days, 30 days, 90 days. Some time periods are unavailable for some games.
- 90 day prices go as high as $30. (Close to the price or more than the full game in some cases)
- Hourly rate is highest for the 3 hour package. (Around $1 per hour depending on the game)
- FORBES article (source 2) suggests a subscription service would be much more  pleasing to customers, but based on Sony’s strategy of allowing content owners to set pricing, it probably wouldn’t make sense behind the scenes.
First Android (Robot) Newcaster
Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: TopWargamer
Source 2: slashgear.com
Source 3: abc.net.au
Link 1: youtube.com
Link 2: abc.net.au (IMAGE)
- Video on newcast in Link 1.
- Image of news androids in Link 2.
- Android will be announcing news that is arriving in real-time, in near pitch-perfect and fluent Japanese.
- Named “Kodomo Roid”, combination of Japanese word ‘child’ and ‘android’.
- To demonstrate its language skills, Kodomoroid delivered news about the recent 7.9 magnitude earthquake that hit Hawaii.
- Kodomoroid actually has a sense of humor, though scripted of course.
- Another android; a chatty humanoid called Pepper, designed by SoftBank, as a household companion is set to go on sale for around $2,000 in Japan next year after a successful debut earlier this month.
- Android vs. Human Interaction

Google Cardboard VR
Source 1: theregister.co.uk
Source 2: https://developers.google.com/cardboard/
Source 3: http://vr.chromeexperiments.com/#/desktop
- the idea, originated as a "20 per cent" project by French Googlers David Coz and Damien Henry
- Attendees to Google I/O received pre-done kits
- Sourcing materials will not be all that hard and google has actually provided both e-tailer links and all the specs you would need to source them locally as well
- Development documentation already released

Intel asked AMD about access to mantle
Source 1: tweaktown.com
- Intel has asked AMD for access to Mantle for an 'experiment'.
- Intel has reaffirmed its position with DirectX, saying that it remains committed to the open standard.
- AMD has over 47 game developers signed up for its Mantle API, with its competitor NVIDIA only signing up Crytek and Ubisoft to its GameWorks program.
- AMD and NVIDIA have 33% of the GPU market share, combined. The rest is dominated by Intel.
- AMD responded by asking Intel for “a month or two” until it’s out of closed beta.
- An Intel spokesperson said: "At the time of the initial Mantle announcement, we were already investigating rendering overhead based on game developer feedback. Our hope was to build consensus on potential approaches to reduce overhead with additional data. We have publicly asked them to share the spec with us several times as part of examination of potential ways to improve APIs and increase efficiencies. At this point though we believe that DirectX 12 and ongoing work with other industry bodies and OS vendors will address the issues that game developers have noted".
HPs “The Machine”
Source 1: iflscience.com
- The Machine is not a server, workstation, PC, device or phone but an amalgamation of all these things.
- It’s designed to be able to cope with the masses of data produced from the Internet of Things.
- It uses clusters of specialized cores as opposed to a small number of generalized cores. The whole thing is connected together using silicon photonics instead of traditional copper wires and the technology features memristors which are resistors that are able to store information even after power loss.
- According to HP, The Machine can manage 160 petabytes of data in a mere 250 nanoseconds.
- Martin Fink explained that if the technology was scaled down, smartphones could be fabricated with 100 terabytes of memory.
- With this; it could be possible for doctors to compare your symptoms or DNA with patients across the globe in an instant and without breaching privacy, improving health outcomes.
- HP isn’t expecting to have samples until 2015 and the first devices equipped with The Machine won’t surface until 2018.
Rapid Fire Device to bypass spinal column
Source 1: medicalcenter.osu.edu
- Video of device working in link 1.
- The device is called a Neuro Bridge
- Electronic neural bypass for spinal cord injuries that reconnects the brain directly to muscles.
- Allows voluntary and functional control of a paralyzed limb.
- During a three-hour surgery on April 22, Dr. Ali Rezai implanted a chip smaller than a pea onto the motor cortex of the patient’s brain. The tiny chip interprets brain signals and sends them to a computer, which re-codes and sends them to the high-definition electrode stimulation sleeve that stimulates the proper muscles to execute his desired movements. Within a tenth of a second, Burkhart’s thoughts are translated into action.
Moto 360 Watch Face Competition
Source 1: motorola-blog.blogspot.co.uk
- Winning watch face in Source 1
- 1300 watch faces submitted.
New Twitch TV Player allows 60FPS streaming
Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Jobbe03
- Right click on video and click “Video Playback Stats” to view tons of info about the video. (Works on youtube too)
Witcher 3 to include “Boob physics” and run faster on PC
Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: TwistedDicktator
Source 2: nextpowerup.com
- Boob Physics only on PC.
- Found in design documents taken off a CD Projekt RED developer's Google Drive account .
Slow TV Concept being used on airlines to lull passengers to sleep
Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Dietrichw
Source 2: theverge.com
- Slow TV is a television genre popularized in Norway, which pivots around minute-to-minute documentation of everyday activities.
- Minute by minute documentation of real things like salmon fishing, train rides, and cruise ship cruises.
- Airline plans to show the seven-hour Norwegian train ride, from Bergen to Oslo, Norway on select flights.
New Oral-B Toothbrush pairs to your smartphone
Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: NISHANTH
Source 2: engadget.com
- Gives your dental professional feedback on your brushing activity.
- $390 and $420
- Launch June 2014
- Uses Bluetooth 4.0
EEVblog - Solar Roadways are Bullshit
Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: juretrn
Link 2: Thunderf00t’s videos HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE
- Video in link 1
- Tunderf00t has released multiple videos debunking this.
- Consumes more power than it produces
- What about traction?
- What about weight bearing capacity
- Too expensive
- Glass is too soft
- Solar panels are parallel to the ground. (Not angled towards to sun and not tracking the sun)
- Great idea in theory - raised 2+M dollars - but unlikely to see the light of day in this iteration
Microsoft offers up to $650 off Surface Pro 3 if you xchange Macbook Air
Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Goodbytes
- Macbook must be in working condition
- Until July 31st
- Must be at a Microsoft store
SSD vs HDD test
Source 1: youtube.com
- (No notes)
HighLANder- People are using #highlander on twitter twitter.com/hashtag/highlander

Edited by looney
Fixed for dark theme

Just about to drink my morning coffee and this pops up!

tumblr_m2x4fuojqd1qhhugoo1_500.gif

Completely missed the chance to help creating the timestamps... but after helping out on it (and bracing throught the storm of trolls) for two weeks straight, I think I deserve a break :)

As always, good job on the show @LinusTech !

i missed it live..........because of my PSU!!!!!!  :(

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Is this where you discuss wan show topics?

Anyway. About the surface pro 3. It's definitely suited towards someone who uses it as a tablet at least 70% of the time, wIth the occasional keyboard typing. I'm going to be being one to replace my ASU t100. Currently I pair the t100 with a poker 2 when in class and use it as a tablet (mostly web browsing and pdf viewing) during my commute. Also to play hearthstone and access social media. I find that between android ios and WIndows 8, windows 8 has by far the most efficient tablet UI. Swiping from the sides instead of relying on back buttons and home buttons is much better.

About Google TV. Android on the tv is an incredibly powerful idea, I've used both the ouya and the Madcatz Mojo with the mojo being my current tv box. It handles only 3 tasks, XBMC, crunchyroll and netflix and works reasonably well. Much better than the windows pc that I tried to setup to do the same thing (though I haven't tested with windows 8 yet.) The reason being that you can use a custom launcher like tv launcher to create a very simple UI that can be controlled by your game controller or universal remote (with a flirc.) What the box is really missing however is an extensive android launcher that allows access to more than just simple tasks. Android TV looks to accomplish that quite well. It's also missing gamestream which when that is integrated will make android the best tv box option available. No where else will you get a UI designed from the ground up for TV's with the ability to run all the popular streaming apps, XBMC, as well as have game streaming. Why get a steambox when you can buy one of these? Needless to say I'm looking forward to upgrading.

@LinusTech

I don't know what issues you are having, but I use Opera as my primary browser and I have never had a problem with anything I've wanted to do. I use Google services(Google+, Gmail, Docs, Drive, etc.) all work fine.

If Chrome is supported, so is Opera, because it has been reworked into Chromium. 

Oh, and add me when they release Halo 1 coop for PC!

Pirating games pretty much has become a necessity for me. My health has gotten worse to a point where work is out of the question for the forseeable future and videogames are one of the very few things left which keep me from completely going ballistic and/or breaking down. So you can imagine that I have very little disposable income and every purchase has to be worth the money no matter how little I pay. So sure, I often have to demo games before I purchase them. It's not that I can give it back on steam when they don't run properly. And I almost never can afford a new game, but since playing games has become so incredibly important to me, unfortunately, I won't skip it either if it catches my interest - I'm still trying my best and buy them eventually on a sale, though. There are instances where I won't buy a game ever, though and that is censorship here in germany - censored games are usually in german language only and often have other major flaws going with them and that is just not worth my money in any way. I will however buy the game again if an uncut version becomes available as long as it's affordable for me.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

I challenge anyone at LG or Samsung to come up with one time, ONE TIME, that some proprietary stupid "only within one brand" standard worked on a consumer product

Well I am not from LG or Samsung but here are a few that I thought of off the top of my head:

Lighting connector.

AirPlay

DirectX

OOXML (pretty much).

ActiveX

Steam, Origin and Uplay and their stupid DRMs.

Certain MHL adapters.

Nvidia Gamestream.

I could probably come up with far more if I tried.

@LinusTech

I don't know what issues you are having, but I use Opera as my primary browser and I have never had a problem with anything I've wanted to do. I use Google services(Google+, Gmail, Docs, Drive, etc.) all work fine.

If Chrome is supported, so is Opera, because it has been reworked into Chromium. 

Oh, and add me when they release Halo 1 coop for PC!

+1

Linus seems to somehow partly still live in 2013 as that was chromium-based Operas launch.

Unfortunately the "new" Opera still lacks major parts of its original interface which degraded it to my secondary browser in daily use, Firefox being the primary with 4 essential add-ons making it comfortable (tab mix plus, all in one gestures, ad-block, Speed Dial).

In terms of usability and out of the box comfort Opera still surpasses every major browser imho: opera >> chrome > firefox > IE/safari

Core i5-2500K @4,4 GHz | 12 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX | ASRock Z77 Pro4-M | Samsung 830 256GB | XFX Radeon 7870 2 GiB 1000M DD

Seasonic X-660 | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | AKG K701 | CM Storm QF TK Stealth | Zowie FK '14 | Win 8.1 Pro x64

Them Boob physics...lel

And why would anyone use IE even as a secondary browser. I can't go on Youtube without it freezing on me... My browser list is Safari (on OS X obviously), Chrome, Firefox...

Safari for everything that I do, then Chrome if Safari doesn't work in a specific scenario, Firefox only for these eternal compatibility issues that you get with outdated sites and CMS.

Good show regardless. Also, is the Razer micro console going to be K1 powered? The Ouya is very slow, so it is not really comparable to a more powerful device imo that you can also use to GameStream. Being an Apple user for mobile devices, I see what kinds of games equivalent Apple devices handle and although I've never used it, the Ouya just seems way underpowered to be worth as a console even though it is cheap. iPad (such as my Mini with A7) with Apple TV will work better if the games support it well.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Just on the Intel ASK the expert video, great interview linus, thanks to Intel Darrin for doing it, it be cool if you could get AMD to do the same, however I was a little disappointed by some of his responses, it just felt like he was coming across like it be more than possible to do and make something super off the rails high end extreme processor in amazing packaging for the enthusiast but it would require effort and why bother when the competition is so far behind. Its a shame, if we go to the car market often some of the manufacture there will build a total off the rail super car that they likely will never get there money back on just to see how far they can go with some of the technology, in the IT world we dont really have that and that I feel is a shame.  

Would someone mind pointing me towards the interview with Darren from Intel? I know I am missing something obvious but 5 minutes of searching for it has lead me nowhere.

Thanks!

Nobody told me that the clocks on LTT were set a year back. Look at the title, @LinusTech.

+1

Linus seems to somehow partly still live in 2013 as that was chromium-based Operas launch.

Unfortunately the "new" Opera still lacks major parts of its original interface which degraded it to my secondary browser in daily use, Firefox being the primary with 4 essential add-ons making it comfortable (tab mix plus, all in one gestures, ad-block, Speed Dial).

In terms of usability and out of the box comfort Opera still surpasses every major browser imho: opera >> chrome > firefox > IE/safari

Opera has multiple tab and windows functions just by using the keyboard, also it has mouse and keyboard gestures natively, it also has adblock and it has Speed Dial natively(it was one of the first web browsers to incorporate it).

Great show. I'm only at 41 minute mark, but I just had to comment on the Razer Micro Console. If this thing is made fanless and can support stuff like network disks, then I'm so going to buy it. It's going to be a perfect entertainment center, IMHO.

CPU: Intel i7 950 | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB | SSD: 256GB 840 Pro | HDD 1: SAMSUNG HD103SJ 1TB | HDD 2: WD 320GB | RAM: Crucial XMS3 12GB (6x 2GB) | Case: Corsair R200 | PSU: LCPower 650W | Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo