Just a thought.

I'm just curious about something to do with Dayz. Specifically with the engine its based on (I guess), namely the engine that arma uses. I played arma 2 because I'd downloaded for the dayz mod, and honestly, I hated it(arma 2, not dayz).

The movement is terrible in those games (well, I havent played arma 3). It just is, its slow, it makes little sense sometimes. its just overall clunky and unwieldy.

Don't get me wrong, there were moments in the dayz mod that I was having genuine fun. My problem is that in the standalone, the movement is still in my opinion terrible. I can't put my finger on it, but it just feels godawful.

I know nothing about programming, I admit that, but why in the name of god don't they use something like battlefields frostbite engine, which can clearly handle a large multi-player load, or hell even g-mod engine.

I just don't get it, from what little I think I know about game engines, it seems like if they used something like the g-mod engine or frostbite engine, they'd be done in half the time, and the game would be a 5 star for me. As it sits, and granted i know its still an alpha, the most I could ever give it would be 3 stars, the movement at times just makes it un-enjoyable.

Again dont get me wrong, I love the concept of dayz. completely unscripted is the only good way to make a survival game. I just don't see how they can use that engine.

Is there something I'm missing about dayz? I would think the lack of scripted sequences would make it easy to adapt into a prebuilt engine, or is it that the g-mod engine and frostbite engines couldn't handle an area the size of cherno, with players and a crapload of zombies and loot? (honestly the complete lack of loot in 90% of the houses i've entered is also a problem.)

anyways thats just been bugging me.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Well, part of that is because it's meant to be realistic. Human movement isn't quick clean and correct all the time. Imagine running through a forest with all the gear you have on you like you do in Day Z. Good luck responding as mentioned rather than as observed. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Some games want you to be slow, it levels things for people with rifles and means that you have to think about moving from cover rather than sprint and bunny hopping your way across to better cover.

I think this applied to DayZ

I know nothing about programming, I admit that, but why in the name of god don't they use something like battlefields frostbite engine, which can clearly handle a large multi-player load, or hell even g-mod engine.

Eww. Frostbite is horrible. It doesn't even physics. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

DayZ started as a community mod that like 3 people played

it just happened to get insanely popular when people heard about it. They never really intended to make a full game

The problems with DayZ are all down to quirks with the engine they use, its a bit late now to change without completely altering the feel of the games

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'm just curious about something to do with Dayz. Specifically with the engine its based on (I guess), namely the engine that arma uses. I played arma 2 because I'd downloaded for the dayz mod, and honestly, I hated it(arma 2, not dayz).

The movement is terrible in those games (well, I havent played arma 3). It just is, its slow, it makes little sense sometimes. its just overall clunky and unwieldy.

Don't get me wrong, there were moments in the dayz mod that I was having genuine fun. My problem is that in the standalone, the movement is still in my opinion terrible. I can't put my finger on it, but it just feels godawful.

I just don't get it, from what little I think I know about game engines, it seems like if they used something like the g-mod engine or frostbite engine, they'd be done in half the time, and the game would be a 5 star for me. As it sits, and granted i know its still an alpha, the most I could ever give it would be 3 stars, the movement at times just makes it un-enjoyable.

Again dont get me wrong, I love the concept of dayz. completely unscripted is the only good way to make a survival game. I just don't see how they can use that engine.

Is there something I'm missing about dayz? I would think the lack of scripted sequences would make it easy to adapt into a prebuilt engine, or is it that the g-mod engine and frostbite engines couldn't handle an area the size of cherno, with players and a crapload of zombies and loot? (honestly the complete lack of loot in 90% of the houses i've entered is also a problem.)

anyways thats just been bugging me.

DayZ is based on Dx9, so they need to use an old and unoptimized engine. If they switched to a Dx11 or Mantle engine, they would have to make basically the whole game again. That's why they don't use unreal engine, frostbite, cryengine ecc....

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova

Arma 2 goes for a really realistic feel. Your character is supposed to have weight, and your movements are supposed to reflect that (no vaulting over containers and spraying machine guns while parachuting from an exploding helocopter). It also features "realistic" incidents like broken bones, bleeding out, and hunger/thirst mechanics, even though they do feel ridiculous at times (try to step over barbed wire and break your leg #SWAG). It's an unforgiving game with a die-hard fanbase. Behemia knows who their target demographic is for the ARMA series, and like From Software with Dark Souls, they don't care if you don't fit into that taget demo. That being said, the guy(s) behind DayZ, though this was a good base to build a realistic zombie survival simulator. Had it been build in the Source Engine (Gmod) you'd have Left 4 Dead, had it been built in Frostbite you'd have BattlefieldZ (with sick nasty destructible environments!!!1!). But I, and other DayZ fans think it's a good fit. If you don't like the super-realistic ARMA feel, there are other Zombie games out there for you.

Steam: SolvingJunk

YouTube: SolvingJunk

Twitter: @SolvingJunk

I get what y'all are saying, I do, I love the paranoia and tension you feel when playing dayz, I just think the movement feels more buggy, than realistic or weighted. An example, whilst movement can be slow in fallout 3 and NV, it has hardcore mode with thirst, and it has injuries and poison, no bleeding but thats besides the point, and yet the movement just feels more enjoyable.

Also, does every server on the standalone start you off with nothing?

I get what y'all are saying, I do, I love the paranoia and tension you feel when playing dayz, I just think the movement feels more buggy, than realistic or weighted. An example, whilst movement can be slow in fallout 3 and NV, it has hardcore mode with thirst, and it has injuries and poison, no bleeding but thats besides the point, and yet the movement just feels more enjoyable.

Also, does every server on the standalone start you off with nothing?

I always felt like I was on a tripod in the Fallout games. I didn't find their hardcore or movement particularly enjoyable. 

I think this is just a difference of taste. I actually like how movement is done in Day Z, minus the obvious extremes of breaking a leg from falling 6".

No, they can edit it to where you can start with items. I started with a silenced pistol in one, as an example.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Arma 3 is leagues better in infantry movement than Arma II. It is a lot less clunky and there are so much more possibilities when it comes to stances and how you approach a situation, how you can use cover, the AI is much smarter, guns handle much more realistically.  They completely got rid of buggy mouse acceleration that was is 2. I am really digging Arma 3 since picking it up during the sale. 

I should be studying.

I guess my problem is how the camera shakes when you walk, and how odd the walking and running speeds feel. Running full on feels fine, but the way your character responds when you hit the directional keys feels off, could be lag, could be something else.

I really hope they find a way to fix it. Dont get me wrong I'm definitely going to play the full release. Also more loot, please god more loot.