List of MP games that "Hold back" SSD users' loading times artificially.

That Norwegian Guy

I'm getting more and more pissed off at this, so now I'm going to blacklist developers who do this.

I did NOT buy SSDs so I could sit on a loading screen reading "waiting for other players". I got an SSD so I could get in before the mechanical HDD users and have a higher chance of getting my team selection/ vehicle/ loadout before anyone else! So if you're a game developer and you do this; sincerely - fuck you.

This thread is not for arguments for or against though, sorry for the digression. Please add games to the thread you know are designed like this. Here are my contributions:

• Titanfall
  • Battlefield Hardline

Games that do the opposite (I.E. encourage SSDs by giving early-load advantage to SSD installs)

• Natural Selection 2 (getting to choose team first - higher CPU clockrate also helps)
  • War Thunder (spawning a fraction earlier - I always get to the middle airfield first on domination)
  • Battlefield 4

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

In BF4 I'd wager strongly that SSD users get vehicle spawns first.

Yup in BF4 you get loaded in the map much faster than other players if your using a SSD, I've experienced this every time I join a match. The only restricting factor is your network speed and that's never a hinder really... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Ah yes, so I suppose I should blacklist Blizzard for not letting me start mining in Starcraft before the other guy :P

SSDs aren't for getting an advantage in games, you're complaining about a made up problem. Those games time loading together to ensure everyone starts from the same position in a competitive setting. Which is the right way to go about it if you ask me.

And even if you disagree, the difference is so small you're really kinda still being silly if you can't deal with that.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I love loading Operation Locker, just to spawn when the enemy team has C and the game is already lost. 

hahaha

that makes no fuckin sence.. why should someone with a SSD be better at the game than someone with a HDD?....

Edit: Why should an ssd user get the upper hand?.

yep this.

the wait list is to do with numbers in game anyway, its been around since the first unreal IIRC

Plus it give me time to edit loadouts rather than waste time when a teammate needs me in

If you want to be pissed off at something be pissed off at games that have that damn "press x to ready" stuff

yep this.

the wait list is to do with numbers in game anyway, its been around since the first unreal IIRC

Plus it give me time to edit loadouts rather than waste time when a teammate needs me in

yep. 

Hardline loads a lot faster then Bf4 for me.

While I get where your coming from I totally disagree even though I have an SSD I don't have an amazing one so by the time I spawn in BF4 most of the time all the good vehicles are gone so people who pay more shouldn't have an advantage...

Og.. so thats why Hardline was taking forever to load. It felt like BF3's vanilla maps.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yeah, this complaint is complete bullshit.

"I have an SSD, I shouldn't have to wait for everyone to load on to the map at the same time. Fuck off if you actually want MP games to be fair! Everyone should refuse to buy from developers who don't allow SSD owners to have an advantage."

The specific issue of loading times is why certain games have a "warm up" period before the actual round starts. TF2 and CS are great examples of that. Yeah some people will load into the game quicker, but the round doesn't actually start for another 30-60 seconds depending on the game. That's to allow sufficient time for everyone else to load into the map too.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Team Fortress 2 allows you to pick your favourite team and lock down the class you want before others when the server changes maps - I love it!

You'd still have to wait for the server to load the map, true story :P unless that loading dot is artificial added delay.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Yeah great job blaming the company for not letting people with more money be better at the game.  Lets let everyone without SSD's get into the game when everyone is a higher level, or at a positional advantage over them!

zzz

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

There are 2 sides to this. First, in a competitive game all players should start the game at the same time. Imagine if NS2 would not have a lobby room and all players would just load into the game, or CS without warmup. I perfectly understand why BF/Titanfall make people with faster loading times wait for other. But I disagree with how they do it. And the only way to do it is by creating a lobby like NS2 or warmup like CSGO/TF2.

They are doing the right thing, they just don't know how to do it correctly.

Why does the OP feel like he needs to post this on a tech forum?

Does he not have any idea why games work like this?

Or is he in fact trolling the whole forum?

Serious questions, cos the stupidity is really confusing me.

I love loading Operation Locker, just to spawn when the enemy team has C and the game is already lost. 

provided you play with all the noobs.

''What if I told you'' Metro 64p(the msot extreme exemple) can have matches of 20 minutes with 2 flag captures.

That's if you play it on avdanced fullMixed servers that take in all the colonel mastery. Such good memories, games with no noobs.

Especially with the Admin noobism Alliance.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

That Norwegian Guy

I would note that BF game loading times are very random.

In bf3 times, I would load BF3 maps faster then almost any SSD ( Almost all) with my HDD.

In bf4 it was a fucking nightmare, it took a litteral 100times slower load time.

Bought my SSD in Black friday  mainly for BF4 and system chaching (which failed)

There are 2 sides to this. First, in a competitive game all players should start the game at the same time. Imagine if NS2 would not have a lobby room and all players would just load into the game, or CS without warmup. I perfectly understand why BF/Titanfall make people with faster loading times wait for other. But I disagree with how they do it. And the only way to do it is by creating a lobby like NS2 or warmup like CSGO/TF2.

They are doing the right thing, they just don't know how to do it correctly.

There is nothing wrong with how Titanfall does things since there is a short time limit, after which the map will load. Even if someone is not ready yet. It loads the map after 8 people are loaded in, or 10 seconds, whichever comes first. If you have an issue waiting 10 seconds, which is usually less because people load faster than that 99% of the time, kindly don't play Titanfall as the game will be better without you.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

God I hate long loading times, I hate playing league of legends cause there's always some retard playing the game on a potato or a 56k modem. While I don't think better hardware should give you an extra 'in game' advantage, such as dibs on items. Waiting at a loading screen sucks ass. Personally I think most competitive online games should just feature a short warm up, which only those with decent hardware and connections get to play.

There is nothing wrong with how Titanfall does things since there is a short time limit, after which the map will load. Even if someone is not ready yet. It loads the map after 8 people are loaded in, or 10 seconds, whichever comes first. If you have an issue waiting 10 seconds, which is usually less because people load faster than that 99% of the time, kindly don't play Titanfall as the game will be better without you.

I don't actually play Titanfall, I was just going on what OP said. No need to get personal here. I get it, I'm not going to trust OP anymore.

And my post wasn't meant to blame any of the games. It was meant to analyze why they do it and how they should do it. I already don't play games that do it badly anyway.

Yeah great job blaming the company for not letting people with more money be better at the game. Lets let everyone without SSD's get into the game when everyone is a higher level, or at a positional advantage over them!

zzz

While I get where your coming from I totally disagree even though I have an SSD I don't have an amazing one so by the time I spawn in BF4 most of the time all the good vehicles are gone so people who pay more shouldn't have an advantage...

The amount people spend doesn't even relate to this seeing as more money spent can either end up with a faster drive or more storage.

Number one problem I have with my PC is a lack of storage space.

My biggest problem with this is not the lack of an advantage from having an SSD, it's that developers don't give SSD purchase incentive to people who are SLOW AS HELL at adopting them. And people like that are holding games back. It's quite obviously better for everyone to play 8 games per hour over 5 games per hour, just by cutting down loading time.

Also, in Natural Selection 2 I only play aliens, so if I load into a map and alien team is full, I just leave, which is bad for everyone (especially since I'm amazing)

TL;DR - my goal is not to have an advantage - it's to make sure EVERYONE has SSDs because developers of competitive games should give them incentive to.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

The amount people spend doesn't even relate to this seeing as more money spent can either end up with a faster drive or more storage.

Number one problem I have with my PC is a lack of storage space.

Me too...  But you can get a 500 GB hard drive for $50 whereas the cheapest SSD is $100 (or so).  Or they could rip some old drive from a broken laptop or something.