Do you think X99 will be relevant as a platform for "us techies"?

By this I mean do you think more people will go for LGA2011 X99 over the current Z97/4x90K cookie cutter choice? As obviously the current X79 platform is pretty much exclusive to the more ... wealthy enthusiasts.

I think if Intel get the 5820K right (it is a 6 core, unlike previous x820K's being quad cores) price wise a lot of people will probably consider it over the LGA1150 offerings.

If the i7 5820K 6 Core is close in price to the 4790K quad core would you hop to X99 for your next upgrade? (obviously consider X99 board cost + probably expensive DDR4).

Discuss :)

*I don't know if this might be a repost or not

I probably won't as I have my heart set on ITX. But what about you?

No I don't believe many people will go for X99 I think the base price will be raised and DDR4 is going to be expensive.

By this I mean do you think more people will go for LGA2011 X99 over the current Z97/4x90K cookie cutter choice? As obviously the current X79 platform is pretty much exclusive to the more ... wealthy enthusiasts.

If the i7 5820K 6 Core is close in price to the 4790K quad core would you hop to X99 for your next upgrade? (obviously consider X99 board cost + probably expensive DDR4).

X79/99 should stay for the wealthy enthusiasts. Gamer/Consumer has not much use for the high end hardware that is associated with that chipset. 

Of course it may get cheaper but £800 for a CPU? Erm...nope.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

intel needs to learn to that a lot of people are poor.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

I voted "yes" because a 6 core i7 would be worth an extra 50$ to me (if the difference is small as you say), but with ddr4 being more expensive for what is essentially a product in it's very early stages that will probably perform the same or worse than ddr3 I will refrain from buying it. I wasn't really looking to upgrade my cpu either, so I would get it if I needed a new cpu and motherboard but I wouldn't upgrade to it from what I have now. maybe in a couple of years I'll give the extreme platform a look (IF the cheapest extreme i7 still has a significant advantage over the best "normal" one).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think some of you guys are missing my point. Read OP carefully :) I'm not talking about the £800 CPU or the £500 ones. I'm talking about a 6 core that is the SAME PRICE as the 4790K.

Nope.. The X99 should stay for the wealthy..There is no need to get such powerful hardware for consumers... Quad cores are enough for almost anything you throw at them...

Six cores and eight cores are there to please the professionals who need that kind of power for serious programs.. 500 euros/dollars is way to much for anybody who is not particularly wealthy..

But, Intel should bring the prices of consumer grade hardware down since the cost has been getting increasingly bigger... I could buy a 3570k for 190 euros but now the cheapest 4690k or whatever the newest iteration is i can get for 240+ euros without shipping....

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

Of course it's relevant, it's the early adopters platform. Obviously it's expensive and a lot of enthusiasts won't be buying it for that reason.

intel needs to learn to that a lot of people are poor.

What, you suggest they sell their top products for a couple quid and an apple? :P

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

No I don't believe many people will go for X99 I think the base price will be raised and DDR4 is going to be expensive.

16 GB kit price was confirmed yesterday and will cost 350 USD. It was a ram kit in japan. I would put 50-100 USD more on DDR4 by corsair because of the looks:(

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

I think some of you guys are missing my point. Read OP carefully :) I'm not talking about the £800 CPU or the £500 ones. I'm talking about a 6 core that is the SAME PRICE as the 4790K.

It probably won't be they will raise the price and then you add on the cost of DDR4 atm it's going to cost a lot more.

Do you think X99 will be relevant as a platform for "us techies"?

Yes, it is technology related.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

If the 5820k is ~the same price as the 4790k and someone make a nice looking m-atx x99 motherboard(looking at you asus),i would probably buy it.

I have no interest moving from m-atx chassis to a bigger one.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

But there will never be that. Intel know that the casualfags (LGA 11 whatever) can't afford it so they will price it as high as possible. while the bigboys(LGA2011) can do what ever they do on that chipset. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Give me more and cheaper COARSSSS

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

But there will never be that. Intel know that the casualfags (LGA 11 whatever) can't afford it so they will price it as high as possible. while the bigboys(LGA2011) can do what ever they do on that chipset. 

Well I just see a few sources saying the 5820K (Which isn't a quad core unlike previous 820Ks) will be approx $300-360USD which is why I was wondering.

Well I just see a few sources saying the 5820K (Which isn't a quad core unlike previous 820Ks) will be approx $300-360USD which is why I was wondering.

what's that in real money? 176-211? Nope this is Intel, that's not going to happen.

I think I'll skip this and see what they throw out in another 3 years as the enthusiast platform. 

what's that in real money? 176-211? Nope this is Intel, that's not going to happen.

In "real money" that'd be ~£250 like the existing 4770K and the 4820K...

I will be saving for my next rig to be x99.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I will be saving for my next rig to be x99.

Me 2 brah...

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

x99 will be relevant to the same people as x79 and x58. 

I dont think the pricing will be that bad, especially with the cheaper hex-core.

Does anyone have any information on the cost of DDR4? I remember reading last year that it was going to be a third more expensive but ive not seen any information recently.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

I havn't bothered for the last few years ... so I've been thinking about getting x99 but waiting 3 or  6 months to see if theirs any issues with ddr4

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I haven't bothered either for a while (10+ years) where mid/low range computing parts serviced my needs fine.  Before that I was running Tyan or SM WS or server boards with multiple CPUs to meet my needs, overclocking my Cyrix low cost alternative procs until they melted, trying to flash 28.8 to 33.6, then to 56K, etc.  In the last couple of years I have been getting into hi-def video editing, transcoding (both RT and for content distribution) so I have found myself once again chasing hi performance without the budget to take the easy way and just buy TOTL everything.  Unfortunately (and fortunately!!!) a lot has changed, where OCing has now become a market vs. a backroom hack that the industry was trying to shutdown before they got smart and decided to sell it.  Along with that there is a to of BS to wade through where the benches look great but real world $ is flushed down the toilet for some consumer use cases.  I think the common assumption is that more GHz=faster on everything and vendors are OK with the propagation of that myth, but as Linus, Tek, OC3D, and many other fine sites educate us on, a good OC doesn't necessarily help a person with what they want from their PC.  My Q6600 is loyal and well performing @3.2GHz on my main rig, but is now tooo slooow.  I went quickly from 2600k to 3770k on Asus Z77 Premium for my editing and storage hosting rig, where can do 4.75 GHz stable, but goes >90C on water, I am at 4.5GHz to stay below 80 while encoding.  For storage it hosts a 9266-4i with Intel expander, 512GB cache via SSD using CacheCade, etc. in front of 8x3TB in RAID 6. A lot of $ invested... and there seems to be a better/cheaper way(2011 and FreeNAS).  I think I need to go naked on the 3770k but don't have the b*lls to do that *just* yet on my main editing rig :).  I wouldn't have had the $ to get either of these rigs were it not for some great Microcenter bundle deals and a bit of flipping on my part :D.  I also splurged on a GTX 690 I picked up on a slickdeal, with which I still have a devil of a time getting CUDA processing benefits so I am pretty disappointed with my ROI on the 690 (I should have researched more), so I am on the prowl again because the storage is a PITA to manage(grow), and it looks like I can flip this stuff and reinvest the same $ for better results.

To tie the above together and on topic for this thread, I have been researching the heck out of Z87, Z97, X79, X99 etc. to build two machines, one for FreeNAS box(running Plex among other plug-ins doing RT transcoding for multiple users), and one for video editing.  I have found that these overclocking boards with their autotuning are making sacrifices to achieve their high clocks (like Asus with CPU cache, whatever that is :D, I just know according to Linus I need to experiment with that in my use cases).  So... making choices to get the most value is much harder than it used to be as what LOOKs like it will be valuable for real world may not really be, and the number of choices has increased exponentially.  Holy smokes the number of MBs from Asus alone makes decisions tough, and that is AFTER deciding to stick with Intel over AMD.  Thank goodness the resources to help with those choices is also better thanks to the previously mentioned sites like this one figuring this stuff out for us so we don't have to learn the hard way!

Given my use cases above I have been looking at getting as many PCI-E lanes as possible for storage as well as to facilitate GPU processing assuming support will get better(I still have hope)... and of course I am looking for whatever will make rendering faster on the CPU side.  This is why I spent the extra cash on a board with a PLX chip (lots of "extra" $ :(), and why I have been looking hard at the 2011 platform, the number of additional PCI-E lanes.  I was SO EXCITED to read about the 5820... until I read about one of the ways that they lowered the price point of the CPU... going from 40 lanes to 28 lanes of PCI-E :(.  So, in my use case the whole dang point of going 2011 (or 2011-3 with X99) is negated by that reduction of lanes.  So... right now my answer is maybe.  I am still researching on how I can get into the X99 and get 40 lanes of native PCI-E.  The big problem is that X99 is going to be a lot of $$$$ all at once given the non-backwards compatible 2011-3 socket, the need for DDR4, etc.  So really, even with the 5820, going to X99 is still going to be expensive as heck because of DDR4 alone as many have pointed out (given one cannot re-use with DDR3 whether they want to or not, unlike moving from 1150/55 to 2011).  Maybe that is why intel put a couple of extra cores in the cheaper proc... to help draw enthusiast that don't have bottomless wallets in to spending their hard earned $ on everything needed to move to the X99 platform, where most folks may not need the lost 12 lanes of PCI-E.

My hope is that X99 being around the corner will push prices down on the Ivy-E parts, where perhaps I can get a deal on a decent 2011 kit, hence my answer, "maybe".  It totally depends on the MB's that come out (PLX in 2011-3 that isn't $500 for the MB so a 5820 platform isn't crippled *and* is under $1K for MB and CPU), the cost of good compatibility 8GB DDR4(ECC for FreeNAS, *that* is going to hurt the wallet I bet), and what happens to the pricing of the 2011 X79 stuff.  If I can put together an X79 kit for half of the price of a similar X99 platform which performs the almost same for *my* needs, then the only relevance X99 has for me is making X79 cheaper.  If not, then X99 (and organ selling blackmarket) here I come...

If it cost the same as current Haswell stuff I'd buy it hell; I'd take 20.

Give me more and cheaper COARSSSS

AMD has been there done that... Look what it got them xD

16 GB kit price was confirmed yesterday and will cost 350 USD. It was a ram kit in japan. I would put 50-100 USD more on DDR4 by corsair because of the looks:(

Oh god Corsair would do that... >.< also your title and picture are perfect for this thread...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas