[Videocardz] 290X Might Not Be Full Chip

Priller

Why is it everytime someone talks about AMD they have to throw in a Nvidia sucks comment too?

It's such a political move. Rather than actually talk about what's good about you, just attack the other person

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

That "source" is referering/citing the first source as their source. So, it's not really "another source".

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

They better have a decent stock cooler this time around because it really hampered the 290x's reception, because the gpu itself is quite good.

Antec 1100 | Asus P8Z87-V | Silverstone Strider 850W 80+ Silver | Intel i5 3570k 4.3Ghz | Corsair h80 | Asus Xonar DGX | Sapphire HD 7850 1000 Mhz | 16 GB Patriot 1600MHz | Intel 330 180GB | OCZ Agility 3 60GB (Cache for HDD) | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Asus VE247H x2 | Ducky Shine 2 - Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3.5G | Logitech G430

If people don't have anything to add to the thread, I don't understand why they post.  If you want to talk about jokes and farm likes, go post in off-topic.

I think this is really cool, I wanted to buy a used 290x, but if this card ends up having the same PCB as a 290x, and it's priced decently, I may get one instead.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

We already knew / suspected for a long time that the 290x is not a fully unlocked Hawai. However AMD has no reason to release a fully unlocked Hawai since the yields would be lower, and their existing parts are already fast enough to compete with Nvidia. They probably reason that it would hurt their own profit margins to release such a product because the supply would be lower. Until recently miners were buying up all the cards so the priority for AMD has been to supply enough cards to the market with demand being so high.

I would not be surprised if they just let board partners go crazy right of the bat seeing as what happened with the 290x stock cooler.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

That "source" is referering/citing the first source as their source. So, it's not really "another source".

ok more info because they do have different info in each article.

I hope this is true, but it's going to burn if they don't replace that reference cooler. 

Cool. Seriously though while Nvidia might have the upper tech hand AMD has been through this path before (as well as Nvidia mind you) I fully expect a round of rebrands and aggressive pricing to go along with em, which is great for enthusiasts on a budget capable of understanding proper temps.

-------

Current Rig

-------

so wait

ur saying we can unlock a 290x to 295X (etc) ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

say what?

few things, i wonder how much more power it will consume.

how much further can you push it.

is this the 780ti equivalent they were talking about.

when are they doing the stacked bandwidth GPU?