Future Consoles

Ober1kenobi

This is by no means a hate thread

I'm not sure what Release Price might have been in North America at the time for the PS3 but here in AUS, I do believe it was $799+.

Would Console gamers be willing to pay $799 for the Next Gen console if it were to Guarantee them 1080p games 60fps.

Lets say for arguments say cost price ratio is 100%. If Sony and Microsoft are to Team up with AMD again for the next Console, they could get some decent Hardware in there, I dare say they could get a R9 280X in there for the price.

I know this is without any R&D but more so ready to go off the shelf products per say.

I honestly do believe PC Gamers are getting shafted because of Consoles lack of performance

Case: NZXT H440, Motherboard: Z97 ROG Ranger, CPU: i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz, Ram: 8GB G.Skill Sniper @ 1600MHZ CL9, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB, PSU: Cooler Master V650, Cooling: Swiftech H320, Monitors: 3 x Benq VZ2350

Console gamers don't care for quality/ fps they just want to play the new games, if the game market was focused on pc i recon the games would be by far superior. 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

My first ps3 was $1000 just for the console its self when it first came out and then my second also came to $1000 after buying an extended warranty neither came with games my firs 360 was also in the $1000 range with 2 crappy games.

Nah, they wouldn't. $500 still proved to be a little steep for the Xbox One more than 8 years after Sony tried to sell the PS3 at that price.

I bought an xbox 360 elite in 2007 for $720 Au =/

Also known to his peers as Lord Scrubby McScrubington

Can we have an official "Console - Computer" discussion thread already? Obviously it is a popular discussion...

If the price continues to jump up or ever reaches that price, then it isn't a console any more as the console was originally created for home rooms and to be an alternative to computers. A console is supposed to be a cheap and for families. A family, unless they are uber rich, will find it hard to justify buying a "console" at 800$ when a 800$ PC purchase could provide far more than a gaming experience.

Unless consoles become upgradable like a computer, I don't see it ever reaching that price but I know it will and will not offer the ability to upgrade the system.

Console gamers don't care for quality/ fps they just want to play the new games, if the game market was focused on pc i recon the games would be by far superior. 

Keep thinking that. Maybe one day it will be true.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I don't think it would cost anywhere near that to have 280x performance. Think of this; the 280x can be had for $249 after rebates. That includes shipping to the retailer, boxes, coolers, etc.

The chip itself would be substantially cheaper.

That's just not true. At all. Console gamers do care, but it's not like there's much of a choice.

I enjoy playing on consoles because it takes less work to get into the game. If I'm just sitting down for 30 min or so, I don't want to have to set up everything I would when I play a PC game.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

They just wouldn't buy it for that much, people have already forgotten about the launches of the 360/ps3. I also don't think they either care or know what 60fps/1080p means. Like, come on, there just numbers.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I don't think it would cost anywhere near that to have 280x performance. Think of this; the 280x can be had for $249 after rebates. That includes shipping to the retailer, boxes, coolers, etc.

That's just not true. At all. Console gamers do care, but it's not like there's much of a choice.

I enjoy playing on consoles because it takes less work to get into the game. If I'm just sitting down for 30 min or so, I don't want to have to set up everything I would when I play a PC game.

By the "observations" of some members here on the forum, that apparently makes you stupid. -_-

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

By the "observations" of some members here on the forum, that apparently makes you stupid. -_-

There's a lot of people on here that have more than enough free time or such things.

Some of us are busy with things other than our computer, haha

I always laugh at the PC elitists. It's sad, really.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Can we have an official "Console - Computer" discussion thread already? Obviously it is a popular discussion...

If the price continues to jump up or ever reaches that price, then it isn't a console any more as the console was originally created for home rooms and to be an alternative to computers. A console is supposed to be a cheap and for families. A family, unless they are uber rich, will find it hard to justify buying a "console" at 800$ when a 800$ PC purchase could provide far more than a gaming experience.

Unless consoles become upgradable like a computer, I don't see it ever reaching that price but I know it will and will not offer the ability to upgrade the system.

Keep thinking that. Maybe one day it will be true.

To be honest they don't, I have mates that are console gamers and sure they love it when a game has great graphics but they don't care that they are caped at 30fps and that they are limited in general. I feel sorry for you if your pc requires effort as i don't have this problem? I find it more annoying getting up to change the disks in my consoles lol.

I'm not hating on consoles (I have quiet a few myself and play them too). 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

This is by no means a hate thread

I'm not sure what Release Price might have been in North America at the time for the PS3 but here in AUS, I do believe it was $799+.

Would Console gamers be willing to pay $799 for the Next Gen console if it were to Guarantee them 1080p games 60fps.

Lets say for arguments say cost price ratio is 100%. If Sony and Microsoft are to Team up with AMD again for the next Console, they could get some decent Hardware in there, I dare say they could get a R9 280X in there for the price.

I know this is without any R&D but more so ready to go off the shelf products per say.

I honestly do believe PC Gamers are getting shafted because of Consoles lack of performance

I'd say a 280X is actually a rather conservative estimate. Going with PS4 over PS3 graphics power, it is a mix of about 8x - 10x performance increase. If the PS5 were to only launch with a 280x thats around 2.2x increase in the GPU. Some how doubt Sony would settle for that small an increase in 5 to 6 years. But we don't really know what the hardware and gaming landscape is going to be like in that amount of time.

It is easy to think that consoles are holding back PC gamers (which I include my self in, but also understand how beneficial consoles are), which they could be in some respects, but they are also bringing a massive increase to what the baseline of graphical power is financially viable for developers to aim for. Is there really the expectation out there for game developers to use every single possible amount of power in a Titan, 780ti or 290x? That's just not possible beyond say resolution and FPS increases. A developer/publisher can not afford to focus on such a small % of the PC hardware scene. They have to make a game that works on GPUs ranging from....780ti/290x all the way down to.....GTX 460/ HD5750 for PC to be financially viable.

Now, won't argue that towards the end of the consoles life cycle they start to limit things, but right now they are raising the min spec of games beyond the 4GB/dual core/1-2GB for 1080p pattern we have seen for so long. Multicore and GPU improvements made on the consoles should carry over to PC (unless your ubisoft......), which I really see as good news for PC gaming in general.

Finally though, I look at the uncharted 4 in-engine/game teaser from E3 and don't really see how the PS4 is holding back PC games, when there are so few games that really show anything better than that. There are some, but not many. PC gaming as a whole has to catch up some what to make that video look like how we look at PS3 game comparisons.

To be honest they don't, I have mates that are console gamers and sure they love it when a game has great graphics but they don't care that they are caped at 30fps and that they are limited in general. I feel sorry for you if your pc requires effort as i don't have this problem? I find it more annoying getting up to change the disks in my consoles lol.

I'm not hating on consoles (I have quiet a few myself and play them too). 

So you don't care about resolution then, right?

It's a lot easier to turn on an Xbox to find a match than it is a PC. I'm in front of a PC a lot during the day, it's nice to not have to screw around with a keyboard and mouse when I want to relax.

.....who uses disks anymore? ;)

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

The important question here, in my opinion, is when will they release the new consoles? Do they seriously think that the PS4 and XBONE will be able to live on for 6 or 8 years? It's like many people already said, the consoles were outdated as soon as they were announced. The performance they deliver is not worth 400 bucks, never. And it's only going to get worse over the years. Will they release a new console in 2 or 3 years? People will be pissed, no doubt about that, but they will never be able to get even close to some games that we had 2012 or early 2013 on PC. Their hardware will stay the same and there is only so much you can do with optimization, I highly doubt that this generation will live for 5+ years.

..., but they will never be able to get even close to some games that we had 2012 or early 2013 on PC. Their hardware will stay the same and there is only so much you can do with optimization, I highly doubt that this generation will live for 5+ years.

Which games you talking about there?

Which games you talking about there?

Far Cry 3, Metro: Last Light, Crysis 3. All of them look better on PC than the stuff we've seen for next gen.

Why buy an 800$ console when you can have an 800$ pc? the benefits of consoles are based on accessibility and low price for the bang (although neither is really there with this generation except for the wii u, ironically the least powerful of the 3...), if it becomes as costly as a pc why bother with a closed ecosystem? even with this generation the fact that you can build a better pc for 400$ is the nail in the coffin for hardware that even asks you a subscription fee on top of more expensive games in general. That doesn't mean they won't sell all right, but they will get less and less profitable as time goes on.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So you don't care about resolution then, right?

It's a lot easier to turn on an Xbox to find a match than it is a PC. I'm in front of a PC a lot during the day, it's nice to not have to screw around with a keyboard and mouse when I want to relax.

.....who uses disks anymore? ;)

No i play them more for older games like original xbox/ps2. I haven't really used my 360/ps3 because of the pc. 

So where do i say I don't care about res? If you can't use a keyboard/mouse plug your controller in? 

No i play them more for older games like original xbox/ps2. I haven't really used my 360/ps3 because of the pc. 

So where do i say I don't care about res? If you can't use a keyboard/mouse plug your controller in? 

You said console gamers don't care about resolution. You have a console, therein you do not care about resolution according to your previous post.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I agree with you about the GPU part, but I can still get into a game quicker than I could ever turn on a console, find game, put disk in, etc, When I have most of the games I play on my desktop (yeh it's not neat but it's easy), With the exception of Battlefield 3/4/hardlineBeta.

There is no setting up, sit down, double click game, enjoy.

Case: NZXT H440, Motherboard: Z97 ROG Ranger, CPU: i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz, Ram: 8GB G.Skill Sniper @ 1600MHZ CL9, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB, PSU: Cooler Master V650, Cooling: Swiftech H320, Monitors: 3 x Benq VZ2350

I agree with you about the GPU part, but I can still get into a game quicker than I could ever turn on a console, find game, put disk in, etc, When I have most of the games I play on my desktop (yeh it's not neat but it's easy), With the exception of Battlefield 3/4/hardlineBeta.

There is no setting up, sit down, double click game, enjoy.

I spend a lot of time in front of a computer for work. Sometimes it's nice to just sink into the couch, with a controller and not have to double click on anything.

Also, like I said. Who uses a disc? Not I.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I use disks, mostly because I prefer a hard copy of what I bought with hard earned cash and some of them come with great looking disks or cases.  :D  But that's besides my next point...isn't not wanting to change disks or get up to do anything like that a bit lazy?

Far Cry 3, Metro: Last Light, Crysis 3. All of them look better on PC than the stuff we've seen for next gen.

Well I look at uncharted 4 and the order 1886, I see games that are at least on par with what you listed.

We can already see how Far Cry 4 is going to look on next gen hardware, that looking better or worse than 3?

Metro Last Light is also getting a port, so we will be able to see how the systems fair with that game.