Hyperthreaded i5-3570k? There is one, but can it be replicated?

BulletSpongeRTR

Well, getting an i7 for gaming has always been about bragging rights (e-penis), not actual performance benefits. Reminds me of the batch of 290 that could be flashed to 290x.

and 6950 to 6970 and gtx 465 to 470

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I'm siding with those who think that L3 cache is lasered off but other features (HT,unlocked multi, and who knows what else) are disabled or enabled within the microcode. Here is a quote from the article I linked above, "Hold onto your hyperthreaded horses, because this is liable to whip up an angry mob -- Intel's asking customers to pay extra if they want the full power of their store-bought silicon. An eagle-eyed Engadget reader was surfing the Best Buy shelves when he noticed this $50 card -- and sure enough, Intel websites confirm -- that lets you download softwareto unlock extra threads and cache on the new Pentium G6951 processor." 

That was an experiment Intel conducted on an 1156 CPU. Could this feature have been integrated into 1155 CPU's but never implemented by Intel in the market? 

Huh, never knew.  Wow.  That is really crazy, The thing I wonder is if you can get hyper threading on the new Devil's Canyon Pentium.  Because that little chip is a beast for the price and if you can get hyper threading on it it would own even some more expensive chips, especially since it can overclock to 4.6GHZ on stock cooler according to Digital Storm.

This is awesome :D

EDIT:
The guy made even benchmarks it's real !
Here is his 3DMark and you can see it says 3770 (non k) but his clock is at 4,5Ghz which should be impossible.
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/3321170?

His Benchmarks and screenshots but it's on German:
http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f139/i5-3570k-i7-3770-ht-unlocked-4c-8t-1025750.html

And as you can see here it has 4c/8t but only 6mb cache so it can't be an i7:
intelzeugs7xeu3.png

I reaaaally hope they can find the cause for this so that maybe we can all unlock our i5s :D :D

RTX2070OC 

4 free threads would be the icing on an i5 for sure. This could have implications extending even to i3's, what features could be turned on in them if this mystery gets solved? Oh, and if it does get solved how much you want to bet Broadwell gets delayed? Intel would either have to offer a SIGNIFICANT performance increase to entice owners of suddenly hyperthreaded i5's or spend the extra time making damn sure no future CPU's can be unlocked as well.

If this actually becomes a thing. Wont intel change some thing so this stops working in the next revision? If they dont , it will eat into their i7 market big time.

Also for those of you who are doubting that this is possible : a list(old) of AMD cpu's that are unlockable.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1005739/what-unlocks-the-unlockable-cpu-reference-list

EDIT: from what i have read on the original post this is a extremely golden chip, if this turs out to be real, it might only work with 1 in 100 chips or so

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."

Also needs a new profile picture..

So...when buying an i7..we basically pay more for..well...nothing? 

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

It still has 2mb more cache at least.

RTX2070OC 

It still has 2mb more cache at least.

for almost 100€ more? lol. :P

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

If this is actually applicable to all i5s, which honestly it probably isn't

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

its a lapped 3570k that has been replaced by a lapped 3770k, with an tweaked cpuz. simple as that.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

its a lapped 3570k that has been replaced by a lapped 3770k, with an tweaked cpuz. simple as that.

There's a verification link on that thread for cpuz i think it was

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

On the actual thread he posts videos and all sorts of benchmarks and evidence even on the bios. 

and 6950 to 6970 and gtx 465 to 470

And unlock Athon II X2/3 to X4 and Phenom II X2/3 to Phenom II X4 :D

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

There's a verification link on that thread for cpuz i think it was

On the actual thread he posts videos and all sorts of benchmarks and evidence even on the bios. 

with the serial number of the cpu there is no evidence whatsoever. screenshots and validations are fairly easy to doctor. the fact that its been lapped means i think its bs, no matter how many screenshots and test he runs.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

anyone here was able to find how did he do it?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

anyone here was able to find how did he do it?

Some say it happen because of a motherboard error...or that the microcode of the cpu made this possible.........All we know is......He is called the Stig! /no :P

Some say it happen because of a motherboard error...or that the microcode of the cpu made this possible.........All we know is......He is called the Stig! /no :P

yeah i've seen that too i guess its time to buy Asrock Z77 OC Formula off ebay  :rolleyes:

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

yeah i've seen that too i guess its time to buy Asrock Z77 OC Formula off ebay 

He also uploaded his bios backup on there for people to see it and even flash it. He said one of his friends flashed the same bios and it didnt work. I guess he was super lucky as the only thing he did was swap his ram and BOUM he had an i7..

Didn't we already know this? It's the binning process just like amds old tri cores some of them could be unlocked to a quad core just we have never been able to unlock chips on the intel side.

um no

I would like to see a celeron that can match a 4790k with just a change of code.

As long as all of the cores are good and not defective, it could be possible, or at least extremely close.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

As long as all of the cores are good and not defective, it could be possible, or at least extremely close.

That would be freaking awesome!

Heres a novel Idea: Intel had plans to let users upgrade thier CPU's after buying. Go to intels website, it knows you have a i5, you can buy a $100 upgrade to a fully unlocked i7. How awesome would that be. Start off with an i3, and later down the line upgrade it all the way via microcode updates. 

/patent pending :P

Gaming PC: CPU: 4770k @ 4.0Ghz GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 RAM: 16GB Corsair vengeance 1600Mhz Mobo: ASRock Extreme 9/AC PSU: Corsair AX760i Case: Corsair 750D CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i HDD: Samsung EVO 250GB, 1TB HDD, 4TB HDD 

Heres a novel Idea: Intel had plans to let users upgrade thier CPU's after buying. Go to intels website, it knows you have a i5, you can buy a $100 upgrade to a fully unlocked i7. How awesome would that be. Start off with an i3, and later down the line upgrade it all the way via microcode updates. 

In the late 60's GE sold a series of mainframes. Apparently one could buy a field upgrade from one particular model to the next, nearly doubling cpu performance. The story is that the upgrade consisted of the field technician snipping a wire in the cpu unit.

I doubt Intel is worried about this. They sell millions of these cpu, a few thousand modded chips is not going to affect their bottom line.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

They've already had that idea. They just never implemented it. Had excitements awhile back tho

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

with the serial number of the cpu there is no evidence whatsoever. screenshots and validations are fairly easy to doctor. the fact that its been lapped means i think its bs, no matter how many screenshots and test he runs.

You can even go on his 3DMark page which he can't manipulate.

It's not fake it says even on there 3770(non K) but with 4,5Ghz which would be impossible without it being real.

He even did several benchmarks that show that it performs better than a normal i5 3570k but worse than an i7 3770k because of the 2Mb less cache.

We had this with AMD CPUs before as well as with GPUs.(The R9-290 was able to get unlocked to a R9-290X)

Often it's only a software lock and those can be always unlocked with enough effort.

RTX2070OC