Hyperthreaded i5-3570k? There is one, but can it be replicated?

BulletSpongeRTR

You can even go on his 3DMark page which he can't manipulate.

It's not fake it says even on there 3770(non K) but with 4,5Ghz which would be impossible without it being real.

He even did several benchmarks that show that it performs better than a normal i5 3570k but worse than an i7 3770k because of the 2Mb less cache.

We had this with AMD CPUs before as well as with GPUs.(The R9-290 was able to get unlocked to a R9-290X)

Often it's only a software lock and those can be always unlocked with enough effort.

nobody has ever unlocked hyperthreading. until intel confirm it. i don't believe it.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

nobody has ever unlocked hyperthreading. until intel confirm it. i don't believe it.

Well this guy did..

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

He was testing CPUs and ram which caused a bug in the code it wasn't on purpose.

We all know for a fact that HT and cache are software locked.

Intel even sold $50 HT/cache unlock cards for Pentium CPUs.

pentiumupgrade.jpg

The problem is that the code is extremely good encrypted so you have to first decrypt the code and than compare the bugged one with the normal one to even find out how it happened.

So doing it on purpose will be extremely hard.

The guy also uploaded his BIOS so that people can look through the code.

RTX2070OC 

Well, getting an i7 for gaming has always been about bragging rights (e-penis), not actual performance benefits. Reminds me of the batch of 290 that could be flashed to 290x.

it's also for people who stream gameplay, or people that game AND do more intensive tasks like video editing. i'd attribute most i7 for gaming purchases to ignorance / stupidity moreso than bragging rights. 

Update-Gamester3333 (OCN mnember) is getting closer to figuring this out. Unfortunately, but as I expected, the owner of the CPU has sold both the chip and motherboard. No details are available but my guess is someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Still though we have a lot of data and willing guinea pigs to carry on with the process. 

Gamester3333-

You're exactly right, dark. There are two independent instruction pipelines in the chip's "cores". They're real cores, but they share execution resources much like a bulldozer's integer unit shares it's fpu with another. These (The instruction pipelines) are there whether it's an i5 or i7. It's too difficult and risky to laser them off.

The bios is responsible for enumerating them, and it does this based on one or possibly two bytes read from the chip itself. Of note, the chip tells the bios that is has one logical core per physical one, but the rest of the specifications are the same. It still tells the bios to reserve address space for the "missing" cores! If you want to know which byte it is specifically, it's the rightmost byte in register ebx, after executing the cpuid instruction with a value of 0x0000000b in the eax register, and 0x00000000 in the ecx register.

That one byte tells the bios "I have one/two threads per core". The next byte is found by putting 0x0000000b in eax, 0x00000001 in ecx, and executing cpuid again. this byte basically says how many total "cores" there are. So for example: if i tell it two threads per core, 4 total cores, then it will (presumably) run my i5 like an i3! with ht on, but the last 4 "cores" turned off.

So i need to change those two bytes to read "two threads per core", "eight total threads". The supporting information, ie: cache sizes and the like, are already set the same as an i7, ready and willing to support the hyperthreaded cores. what i need most is to get this done, find the part of the bios that initializes the cores, and poke it.

I have the what, the why, and the how. I need the where. I have a general idea of the when, but it's not helping as much as you'd think.

So if this all works, could I turn a 4130 into a 4770? Regardless of having less cache and all that, would such madness remotely be possible? 

I don't see what the big deal is. I thought what @Vitalius said was common knowledge.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.