EA releases Origin Game Time

XTankSlayerX

Really guys? Please read before you post..

1. The download is ~20GB, but it uncompresses to ~50GB. You only have to download ~20GB.

2. The 48 hour counter doesn't start until you launch the game. So you can download it, wait until next weekend, then start playing!

Also, please note that the counter will continue to count down even if you're out of the game, use your time wisely.

Nice and all but I wouldn't use it. That's what demos and pirated copies are for.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

No its 48 hours of playtime after you have launched the game for the first time..... You see

2. The 48 hour counter doesn't start until you launch the game. So you can download it, wait until next weekend, then start playing!

Also, please note that the counter will continue to count down even if you're out of the game, use your time wisely.

That is awesome and so much better than Steam's free weekends.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Nice and all but I wouldn't use it. That's what demos and pirated copies are for.

Demos don't exist anymore. I'll add "not a majority of games offer demos" just in case you grab a list of demos and come back post it just so you can be right... 

And pirated games, yeah well... no. If a game ain't good enough for me to buy it, I just don't play it. And if 60$ is too much, I wait untill it gets to 20$ and get it at 80%.

That is awesome and so much better than Steam's free weekends.

On the weekends, I got better things to do than stay inside and game. Particurlarly during the summer. For me, gaming's a week evening thing... Good job EA (wow that felt weird to type :P

Demos don't exist anymore. I'll add "not a majority of games offer demos" just in case you grab a list of demos and come back post it just so you can be right... 

And pirated games, yeah well... no. If a game ain't good enough for me to buy it, I just don't play it. And if 60$ is too much, I wait untill it gets to 20$ and get it at 80%.

And how exactly do you know that it is good or not? Reviews are not always useful.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

And how exactly do you know that it is good or not? Reviews are not always useful.

Find reviewers that have the same tastes as you. You can check that with games you already played... 

Gameplay footage gives a good idea too. Like twitch or whatever...

As dmegatool has said, find reviewers and first impressions you can trust. For me, I go through a set of steps before I make the plunge into buying a game and this works with both PC and console, but it is more PC orientated.

1. Find a TotalBiscuit "WTF is..." or "Let's NOT Play...". He gives a great first impression and doesn't care what he says about the game. If it's broken, he'll say it's broken. He is more PC orientated, but if a game he really wants to play is only on consoles, he will buy it for consoles and possibly give a first impression.

2. Find other reviews of the game. You can go to any review site like IGN, Kotaku, Gamespot, Metacritic, etc. You should do this because a lot of people who have a "hate" mentality will be releasing that hate into the comments of these reviews. Most of it is junk, but you'll find comments pertaining to the game and specifics being broken, actual severe issues whether it be game related, online servers, or something trashy about the dev/pub. This kind of stuff is usually not reported by people writing articles, unless they weren't paid off by publishers.

3. Find performance benchmarks for the game. This is easier if it's a bigger game like Watch_Dogs than like Shadowrun Returns, since more people are interested and therefore more PC's/consoles are running the game and can give thoughts about it. This is where you go to the sites I just mentioned in #2 and also go to forums, like LTT(already here), Reddit(try to find a sub-Reddit specifically for the game, otherwise /r/Games, /r/Gaming), NeoGAF, and any other forum that has it's head screwed on straight that you can think of.

4. Watch gameplay video. YouTube, Twitch, etc. Watch gameplay for whatever platform you are getting the game for.

5. Steam reviews for a game are getting a bit better, so I'd also try here, but more of a last resort unless the game has been out a couple weeks to a month since the first couple days the reviews can be lackluster or non-existent depending on the popularity of the game.

6. Never pre-order. NEVER. I know, you want to be the first one to get the game and start ranking up or beat the story, whatever it is...but if you want to avoid things like Watch_Dogs, then you need to wait at least 2-3 weeks after the game has come out to know what it's all about and if it's crap, unless it's heavily sought after, like Watch_Dogs, because then you'll find out within a couple days if the game is crap or not.

Reviews from IGN and whatnot aren't helpful, because they aren't reviewing the game. They are simply saying what the game is about and a score(10/10, 5/5, whatever) if they like it or not(Ignore CoD scores, $$$). You should only read reviews from big websites like IGN if you just want to know what the game is about, but I find the comment section gives better reviews most of the time for a game. I've followed this for years now and it has never failed me. Usually following #6 is really what I need to do since everything else just falls into my normal routine of going to LTT & Reddit and watching YouTube videos anyway...

Downloading right now :D
I really hope EA does this on all of their multiplayer games.

I also noticed that they reskinned the Origin notifications.
And it seems like they upgraded the servers I can download now 14MB/s on Origin :o 

RTX2070OC 

What happened here? Did Ubisoft and EA swap teams or something? When did EA start making the correct moves here?

I think EA finally realised PC is profitable. Or they're really trying to compete with steam. To be honest, I am rather excited for Sims 4. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

As dmegatool has said, find reviewers and first impressions you can trust. For me, I go through a set of steps before I make the plunge into buying a game and this works with both PC and console, but it is more PC orientated.

1. Find a TotalBiscuit "WTF is..." or "Let's NOT Play...". He gives a great first impression and doesn't care what he says about the game. If it's broken, he'll say it's broken. He is more PC orientated, but if a game he really wants to play is only on consoles, he will buy it for consoles and possibly give a first impression.

2. Find other reviews of the game. You can go to any review site like IGN, Kotaku, Gamespot, Metacritic, etc. You should do this because a lot of people who have a "hate" mentality will be releasing that hate into the comments of these reviews. Most of it is junk, but you'll find comments pertaining to the game and specifics being broken, actual severe issues whether it be game related, online servers, or something trashy about the dev/pub. This kind of stuff is usually not reported by people writing articles, unless they weren't paid off by publishers.

3. Find performance benchmarks for the game. This is easier if it's a bigger game like Watch_Dogs than like Shadowrun Returns, since more people are interested and therefore more PC's/consoles are running the game and can give thoughts about it. This is where you go to the sites I just mentioned in #2 and also go to forums, like LTT(already here), Reddit(try to find a sub-Reddit specifically for the game, otherwise /r/Games, /r/Gaming), NeoGAF, and any other forum that has it's head screwed on straight that you can think of.

4. Watch gameplay video. YouTube, Twitch, etc. Watch gameplay for whatever platform you are getting the game for.

5. Steam reviews for a game are getting a bit better, so I'd also try here, but more of a last resort unless the game has been out a couple weeks to a month since the first couple days the reviews can be lackluster or non-existent depending on the popularity of the game.

6. Never pre-order. NEVER. I know, you want to be the first one to get the game and start ranking up or beat the story, whatever it is...but if you want to avoid things like Watch_Dogs, then you need to wait at least 2-3 weeks after the game has come out to know what it's all about and if it's crap, unless it's heavily sought after, like Watch_Dogs, because then you'll find out within a couple days if the game is crap or not.

Reviews from IGN and whatnot aren't helpful, because they aren't reviewing the game. They are simply saying what the game is about and a score(10/10, 5/5, whatever) if they like it or not(Ignore CoD scores, $$$). You should only read reviews from big websites like IGN if you just want to know what the game is about, but I find the comment section gives better reviews most of the time for a game. I've followed this for years now and it has never failed me. Usually following #6 is really what I need to do since everything else just falls into my normal routine of going to LTT & Reddit and watching YouTube videos anyway...

Aye, you can work with 1 and 4 and be golden. Totalbisquit is even doing steam sale specials right now going over which games are actually worth it at those sale prices and he did actually retracted on a title (forgot which) saying that he blasted it but at the current sale price go for it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

What the fuck?

The game tells me I've already spent my "Origin Game Time" on my account.

What the hell?

I just downloaded it...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Anyone else think that origin is slowly becoming better than steam?

Just launched it... I like it. It's clean and well designed. I think the UI is way better than Steam. You can hide games which is cool. The only things missing for me would be Big Picture and In-Home Streaming.

EA is definitely stepping it up. Still won't pre-order or buy any of their games at full price but at least they are not the worst game publisher anymore IMO. That would have to go to Ubisoft. 

Vrbas, on 20 Jun 2014 - 1:04 PM, said:

EA is definitely stepping it up. Still won't pre-order or buy any of their games at full price but at least they are not the worst game publisher anymore IMO. That would have to go to Ubisoft. 

You straight up shouldn't pre-order games In general to be honest.

You straight up shouldn't pre-order games In general to be honest.

Totally Agree.

I don't anymore, last game I pre-ordered was GTAV. Never pre-orderd a PC game because it just goes on sale a couple weeks later anyway. I don't fall for that shit, i'll wait for a review. 

Man, Titanfall is sooo so easy.

I've been playing for at least 2 hours and I haven't lost one match,and in almost all the matches I was the first one ranked in my team.

Tooo eassy...

Smart pistol op :P

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

50 GB will take forever at least for me!! i thought the game was given away by EA lol

but can i at least keep it for sp?

50 GB will take forever at least for me!! i thought the game was given away by EA lol

You aren't downloading 50GB, you download 20GB and then it is uncompressed to 50GB.

And no, the singleplayer is part of the game. When time runs out, it's over.

There isn't SP. Multiplayer campaign only.

The game downloaded in 20 mins for me...

50 GB. Nope.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P