concerns with new razer blade.

Swndlr

so I have had the laptop for less than a week and already there are things that are concerning me. idk if these concerns are due to the fact that I have never owned a gaming laptop before OR there is actually something that I can do fix things.

concern 1: I was playing csgo on 1600x900 and even native res and was still getting very nice/smooth frame rates. then I moved over to try and play some league of legends and it also worked nicely... then came minecraft and to my surprise, the blade seemed to struggle a bit. in certain scenarios the fps would be well above 150 and then when I walked an extra 2 blocks it would drop drastically (there were no changes in entities or anything).

concern 2: when playing csgo one day, I was doing great fps wise (I always play csgo at maxed out settings btw) and the fans were near silent, then the next day I wanted to open csgo with razer game booster and then mid game, the fans were making noises as if the machine was about to blow up right on my desk. idk why this happened but I want to assume it was something to do with razer game booster and the way it drove the game to achieve higher fps.

concern 3: playing games with the laptop plugged in. is there a reason why I get INSANELY better fps while playing with the blade plugged in? idk why but im guessing it has something to do with the amount of power that the blade is allowing itself to use when it has a power source other than the battery pack.

concern 4: the blade's bad battery and heat. okey so after having the laptop for a few days the two things that really upset me were the bad battery and how hot the notebook really gets. where my hand was laying near the WSAD keys next to the trackpad, there was a sweaty palm mark of where I had been resting my hand (just to give you an idea of how hot it really gets). there is no answer to this but I just  wanted to share with you guys.

conclusion here: okey so the blade really kinda does live up to most of my expectations but these certain things concern me to a point where im wondering where it be worth it to return it and get an equally powerfull laptop from a company like origin in attempt to have a laptop with better thermals and DEFINITELY better battery life due to the fact that the battery life is literally upsetting to me. the only issue with getting rid of the blade is, ITS SO DAMN GOOD LOOKING. LIKE FOR REAL THE THING COULD PICK UPP CHICKS IF IT HAD A MOUTH OF ITS OWN. im tangled in this situation :S

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

so I have had the laptop for less than a week and already there are things that are concerning me. idk if these concerns are due to the fact that I have never owned a gaming laptop before OR there is actually something that I can do fix things.

concern 1: 1600x900....minecraft runs terribly

concern 2: Very noisy/hot 

concern 3: Better performance on outlet vs battery 

concern 4: Shit battery life and ability to fry an egg. 

conclusion here: Should I get rid of it? 

minecraft isn't optimized for shit. Also, 1600x900...ew

gaming laptops over heat very easily. 

More consistent power with an outlet vs. battery...shitty battery controller probably 

Gaming laptops are known to get EXTREMELY hot, especially when you shove them inside of something as compact as the razer blade. As for battery, its a miracle if you find a gaming laptop (especially a small one) that gives you more than 5 minutes of battery.

Digital Storm > Origin. Also, Asus has some good gaming laptops. But don't expect much to change. Battery life will still suck, and any gaming laptop will be able to cook an egg. Get a desktop.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

im a minecraft lover.. what can I say? lol I guess minecraft will just need to be one of those games that sticks w/ my desktop.

is there anyway to make the battery last longer other than switing to power saver mode while im NOT gaming? (just browsing and whatnot)

recommend any good cooling pads I should get?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

im a minecraft lover.. what can I say? lol I guess minecraft will just need to be one of those games that sticks w/ my desktop.

is there anyway to make the battery last longer other than switing to power saver mode while im NOT gaming? (just browsing and whatnot)

recommend any good cooling pads I should get?

Run minecraft with short render distances. You can possibly under clock the cpu when not gaming, as well as run on fewer cores. To reduce the number of cores: Start Menu>System configuration>boot>cpu/cores/whatever its called (you will have to restart every time you want to change the number of cores). Finally, make sure no bullshit is running in the background....Start>System config>startup>disable anything you don't want running (do yourself a favor and look up what everything is before disabling them).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Razer Game Booster does everything it can to improve performance, that means ramping up the fan speeds to prevent throttling.

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

Check your windows settings under power plan. It will be set to battery saver when on AC = everything downclocks its self to preserve power. But when you are on AC it will be set to High Performance.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Could always under volt, reduce the heat by quite a bit. I never really touched my cpu, but i know for my gpu i was able to cut out nearly 20*C on load at same fan speed by just cutting down the voltage. 

Run minecraft with short render distances. You can possibly under clock the cpu when not gaming, as well as run on fewer cores. To reduce the number of cores: Start Menu>System configuration>boot>cpu/cores/whatever its called (you will have to restart every time you want to change the number of cores). Finally, make sure no bullshit is running in the background....Start>System config>startup>disable anything you don't want running (do yourself a favor and look up what everything is before disabling them).

will doing this even make that much of a noticeable difference? or is it not really worth it since most of the time im near a power outlet anyway?

will doing this even make that much of a noticeable difference? or is it not really worth it since most of the time im near a power outlet anyway?

Well, changing the number of running cores literally takes 2 seconds + reboot time. So, try it and find out. Also, you should disable all the random crap from startup anyway as its a waste of cpu and battery power. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Razer Game Booster does everything it can to improve performance, that means ramping up the fan speeds to prevent throttling.

yeh i was gonna say.... the fans were blazing loud, but then again razer game booster was pushing out an extra 80+ frames, the boost wasnt even needed i was already getting perfectly fine fps without it so from now on im just not gonna use it unless its like some super duper graphic intense game like BF4, on 3200x1800 on max settings :P

yeh i was gonna say.... the fans were blazing loud, but then again razer game booster was pushing out an extra 80+ frames, the boost wasnt even needed i was already getting perfectly fine fps without it so from now on im just not gonna use it unless its like some super duper graphic intense game like BF4, on 3200x1800 on max settings :P

DAT SCREEN :wub:

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

Check your windows settings under power plan. It will be set to battery saver when on AC = everything downclocks its self to preserve power. But when you are on AC it will be set to High Performance.

virtually slap me for asking this but, what is AC :(

DAT SCREEN :wub:

ikr, makes browsing and productivity very nice and crisp aside from windows and certain 3rd party apps not being optimized for the high pixel density :/

the appropriate number of cores for browsing/ms office work/video watching would be 2 right?

virtually slap me for asking this but, what is AC :(

outlet. 

the appropriate number of cores for browsing/ms office work/video watching would be 2 right?

There is no "appropriate" number. The more cores the better the system will perform as browsers can benefit from multiple cores, but disabling cores is certainly a good way to boost battery life... Just play around with it a bit, if one core is too slow try two cores, and so on. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

outlet. 

There is no "appropriate" number. The more cores the better the system will perform as browsers can benefit from multiple cores, but disabling cores is certainly a good way to boost battery life... Just play around with it a bit, if one core is too slow try two cores, and so on. 

im gonna leave it at 2 and see if the difference is much noticeable and btw when I went to the tasks sections all of the running tasks were usually being ran by Microsoft, NVidia, and intel so I didn't really wanna mess around with them. idk what to do with them. any suggestions?

concern 1: That's minecraft loading chunks for you, happens everywhere

concern 2: Do you know how thin this thing is?? To cool the hardware OF COURSE it needs fans to run well

concern 3: Have you ever used a laptop before? The downclock everything while using battery power to save battery life. 

concern 4: Do you know how much power this thing draws to game? Ofc the battery will drain fast. The thermal zones on the blade is why they moved it to the other side of the keyboard in the upcoming model.

concern 1: That's minecraft loading chunks for you, happens everywhere

concern 2: Do you know how thin this thing is?? To cool the hardware OF COURSE it needs fans to run well

concern 3: Have you ever used a laptop before? The downclock everything while using battery power to save battery life. 

concern 4: Do you know how much power this thing draws to game? Ofc the battery will drain fast. The thermal zones on the blade is why they moved it to the other side of the keyboard in the upcoming model.

to answer your question actually, ive never had a laptop before this. the 2014 blade is my first ever notebook xD

to answer your question actually, ive never had a laptop before this. the 2014 blade is my first ever notebook xD

Well... they do this, all of them. The Blade is normal, the only thing is the thermal zone which I understand but I can deal with it. :D