[EDGE] How four people...are creating an entire universe

Rafy

I have been seeing a lot of people say how no man's sky is such an ambitious project for a team of just four people, so I though I'd post this since it's a great read and can answer some questions.

C5EbVQV.png

had the studio’s founder, Sean Murray, got his way, the two-minute teaser trailer that prompted such a rapturous response would never have been aired. “I showed the video to about ten people before we went live with the VGXs and eight of them told me to not show it, that it wasn’t good enough and that it was a very strange game that people wouldn’t understand,” he says. “And I agreed with them, and I was actually trying to get them to not show the video.”

an unlikely ally saved the day. “[VGX co-host] Geoff Keighley fought for us to have a place there, and really stood up for us and told us it was something we should show,”

“[The industry is] obsessed at the moment with parcelling everything up so you know everything about a game before it releases. And we want to allow people to make that decision on their own. When the game releases, people will put it up on the Net or whatever, but it’s their choice as to whether to discover all of that themselves.”

"This is a game that’s been in my head for a very long time,” he says. “Not because I thought I was going to make it, but just because I thought, ‘Someone is going to make this game at some point.’ And my explanation coming to the guys was… I had a very strange upbringing and eccentric parents, and we moved around a lot. For a good part of my childhood, we lived in the Australian outback on a massive farm on a ranch that was a million-and-a-quarter acres, [with] seven air strips and a gold mine. And it basically meant that we were a few hundred miles from anyone else. As a kid, you would spend probably more time than most in the middle of nowhere, the true middle of nowhere, where if something went wrong you were told to just stay where you were and light a fire at an exact time every day, and hope that someone would find you, because you were so far from everywhere else.

“There’s a misconception in terms of what people think of as procedural,” Murray adds. “They’re used to it meaning ‘random’. They’re used to the concept of [something that’s] like a lottery, so one in 100 skies will be blue, one in 100 skies will be red, or whatever. And then they probably picture tools that control that, [with a] percentage chance of this or that thing happening.”

Clearly, there is plenty we still don’t know – how No Man’s Sky will be priced, for instance, Hello Games’ release plans, how the game really plays on a moment-to-moment basis, and, perhaps more crucially still, how it feels to spend time in this universe. But leaving it vague is part of the plan for now.

V2gvg2a.png

Source: http://www.edge-online.com/features/no-mans-sky-how-a-four-person-team-from-guildford-strode-forth-to-create-an-entire-universe/

Enjoy!

40$ would be the sweet spot for me

this game is definitely worth the rehashed broken crap Dice started producing and charging top dollar for

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I am so lazy right now, what is it? An open world game?

coming for PC and PS4

is a  game is seen to feature planetary exploration, deep oceans, space-based battles, and potential predators on the various procedurally-generated worlds. Each world has its own ecosystem with potentially unforgiving conditions, such as desert worlds with large carnivorous worms.Players are initially given a totally uncharted universe to explore, where information about any planet's characteristics and lifeforms may be shared and updated with others.

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Ive been so hyped for this game ever since i saw the trailer i just hope when it comes to pc it isnt at a AAA price maybe 30-50 bucks (this is AU moneys)

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

No matter how much this will end up costing, that team is going to make a crap ton of money!

That's made by 4 people?! *slowly claps* Ok, I'm impressed.

thats nothing compared to Limit theory

its a one man team - he even made his own game engine based off OpenGL too !

one of the  best looking games ive seen

I am so lazy right now, what is it? An open world game?

If i'm not mistaken, it's more of a open-universe game. 

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

I believe one of the most interesting features of it is that you can join a multiplayer universe that has been procedurally generated and nothing is known about it, not even by the devs. Then, as players explore, the people in that server can find interesting worlds and planets and share that information within their groups and clans.

None of it pre-planned or pre-created, just pure luck

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

It looks really interesting and I look forward to hearing more about it as it gets closer to release.

But I'm certainly not going to get myself *too* hyped up at such an early stage and preorder it. People sometimes forget, but indie devs are just as capable of making buggy crap as major developers....

Interesting but far, far too big then.

There will be far too many of the elements that will be poorly thought out.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

coming for PC and PS4

is a  game is seen to feature planetary exploration, deep oceans, space-based battles, and potential predators on the various procedurally-generated worlds. Each world has its own ecosystem with potentially unforgiving conditions, such as desert worlds with large carnivorous worms.Players are initially given a totally uncharted universe to explore, where information about any planet's characteristics and lifeforms may be shared and updated with others.

Thanks, good sir!  ;)

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want" - Dan Stanford

Project Sandrock (Ended): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/75-project-sandrock/

Project Murasame Liger (WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/400-project-murasame-liger/