Torch Browser Review, Damn...

Techtard

http://www.torchbrowser.com/

While looking around for a fast and light browser for my crappy netbook, I stumbled upon Torch and now, its my main browser :P

Here's Why:

Quoting from the official Torch FAQ,

Torch is a free and unique software that combines powerful browsing with built-in media downloading and sharing features.

Torch Browser is based on the Chromium source code, which gives it fast browsing capabilities. With Torch, you can share sites you like, download torrents, accelerate downloads and grab videos or extract audio - all directly from the browser. Everything you need is just a click away with Torch, so you don't have to use or download additional programs and tools

Layout:

layout.png?psid=1

If you didn't notice it looks almost exactly the same as chrome :o 

​Now now before you sue for copyright infringement, its actually chromium based. -_- 

​Because of that it has a wonderful(IMO) interface that most people can use(anyone with a brain).  

Also pretty much any chrome extension will work so stuff like StayFocusd and adblock :D  will work.

Performance:

Being chromium based its very fast, definitely not IE6 slow :lol:

Its quite a memory hog though not as bad as chrome. 

Cool Features That Actually Matter(to me):

• Torch Music
  • Torch Torrent
  • Download Manager

​Torch Music:

Its a web interface that basically plays Youtube music videos in the background. 

Now before you click that Red X :P , take a look at how it goes about doing what it does.

Music.png?psid=1

Beautiful right? :wub:

It has a pretty darn good interface(again IMO) that allows you to create playlists and sorts everything neatly by artist and album.

Searching is also fast and easy to use, it can also display trending albums and songs and allow you to listen to them instantly.

This makes for one hell of a music discovery app.

Torch Torrent:

Torch also comes with its own built-in torrent client :D

Its not very feature rich like vuze or utorrent but it does its job.

The only real bad thing about this app is you can't selectively download certain files inside a torrent.

torrent.png?psid=1

Also you can even stream torrents in this super cool interface :rolleyes:

stream.png?psid=1

Torch Download Manager:

It works like IDM where it makes multiple connections to speed up downloads.

There is no real GUI for that so no pic for that.

You can turn it off if you want of course.

Final Words:

Install it! Its a great browser for regular casual use and has a buck load of features.

Sure its not prefect but hey so is Linus(he's almost there though ;))

Also this is my first post so my apologies if you hated this review and found it a waste of time.

tumblr_lsiba1Z7n91r112c8o1_500.gif

I feel this suits this browser very well. Also your "DAMN..." title reminded me of this part of Family Guy 

DAMN NATURE YOU SCARY!  good review I may have to give it a shot.   ;)

(My only issue is, Will it get updates and patches as much as Chrome does though... an out of date browser is not useful at all )

PS - DELETE SOME EMAILS... 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Wow, I have never heard of this browser until you made this review. I just downloaded it and I'm going to give it a try for a couple of days, but so far, it's amazing. Thanks!

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Good review, never heard of this browser before.

My mum uses a caveman laptop so I'll install it on that because chrome takes a year to load up on it.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Good review, never heard of this browser before.

My mum uses a caveman laptop so I'll install it on that because chrome takes a year to load up on it.

Wow, I have never heard of this browser until you made this review. I just downloaded it and I'm going to give it a try for a couple of days, but so far, it's amazing. Thanks!

tumblr_lsiba1Z7n91r112c8o1_500.gif

I feel this suits this browser very well. Also your "DAMN..." title reminded me of this part of Family Guy 

DAMN NATURE YOU SCARY!  good review I may have to give it a shot.   ;)

(My only issue is, Will it get updates and patches as much as Chrome does though... an out of date browser is not useful at all )

PS - DELETE SOME EMAILS... 

Thanks for all dem replies, I really appreciate it.

Also, 3000+ emails isn't really much for a 15 year old :)

Thanks for all dem replies, I really appreciate it.

Also, 3000+ emails isn't really much for a 15 year old :)

But "How to kill a hard drive fo..." is quite suspicious... What are you trying to hide from us? Hmm?

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

But "How to kill a hard drive fo..." is quite suspicious... What are you trying to hide from us? Hmm?

Just trying to get rid of my stash ;)

'Its quite a memory hog though not as bad as chrome.' Hahaha. That was the main reason I switched over from Chrome to IE and FF. But I might give this a try. Thanks for the review! ;)

I guess I'll have to give this a try. So now I have IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Torch installed on my grandma's computer... Not to mention Opera just for my sister...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Torch music looks like plug.dj

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Seems pretty scetchy to me.

Based on Chromium, but no Linux-client and no available source-code rings some alarm-bells for me.

I'm not 100% sure, but they're probably violating at least some open-source licenses (parts of Chromium are L/GPL-licensed iirc, which means you have to share your source-code).

Also whenever someone forks an open-source project and doesn't give you source (whether they're required to by license or not), imho you have to wonder what they're trying to hide. They might not have the very best of intentios.

Just my 2 cents, but to me this leaves an sour after-taste and I'd not want to use such a product.

I had this browser on my notebook when it just got relased and it was great but it lacked a lot of features back then. I might give it a go again.