So I'm getting a new home theater system and was checking out this LG system. It has speakers coming up from the top of the 4 stands which face the ceiling. Apparently it bounces off the ceiling and creates a better sound experience or some shit. It sounds a bit gimmicky so I was wanting to ask some audiophiles whether this is really beneficial for the price you pay for this system. Thanks. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-BH9530TW-Blu-ray-Wireless-Speakers-Black/dp/B00BXJ8SLK

I'd like to first note that the reviews on that generally address a freezing issue, that seems to be fairly common. Please look into that first.

But, sound bouncing off the ceiling and such? Seems like it'd cause annoying echoing, latency with sounds hitting your ears, and generally not-do-much for the experience. Although, I haven't experienced it myself; It could do wonders.

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

Even if that bouncing around thing was beneficial it would depend heavily on the shape of the room, the material of your walls and your position relative to the speakers. In my opinion anything over 7.1 is overkill and snake oil, hell even 7.1 is close to unnecessary. Look for a 7.1 with a very clean sound instead, it will be better for your money.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

what is ur budget ?

i would stick with 5.1

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i would get custom setup with that money 

and tower speakers 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

well a proper 9.1 or 7.1 system does give a much better spacial feeling but the main problem is that i dont think there is too much content that is mixed for 9.1. for 7.1 there is still a fair amount of content available, but not so for 9.1.

As many have said it would be much more beneficial to get a much better quality 7.1 or 5.1 than a crappy 9.1. For 800 quid you can get a really solid custom 5.1 provided you want to do the research and have the know-how to put together a custom system.

I have had the chance to listen to a similar system from LG and it was quite frankly a load of crap in terms of build and sound quality. don't get me wrong, these should sound a lot better than your TV's Speakers but in comparison with HT systems its not that great. And honestly in my opinion, LG is really not a company known for high quality audio. Thanks to their consumer electronics background, they put crappy components and sell it at a high margin. Money making is their primary goal and don't give that much emphasis on quality of sound etc etc. And that is primarily thanks to their customer base. Most general consumers cant tell between mediocre and great sound quality. 

Look at amps from Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, Cambridge Audio (to name a few) and speakers from Boston Acoustics, KEF, Polk Audio and you should be able to build a much better 5.1 system in that budget. You can even find bundled 5.1's from Onkyo, and others, which will be much better in terms of sound quality.

Let me know if you need help to mix and match if required.

Thanks

DL

As others have said, the problem with 9.1 is there is zero recorded content for it. Also, anything past 5.1 you need to have the appropriate space/room layout for proper/ideal speaker placement.

With 9.1/11.1, basically how it works is the receiver takes a 5.1/7.1 audio track and separates it in such a way to give content to the additional channels. The added front height and front wide speakers when used together for 11.1 greatly increases the front sound stage for a more immerse experience. I have an 11.1 home theater and can tell you from experience it does a darn good job!

You would be better to slowly build a 5.1 system with quality components rather than an all-in-one solution like that one. Proper bookshelf or tower speakers will have far superior sound quality and a better range of frequencies. Even if you have to start with 2.0/2.1, you will probably be more satisfied with the overall experience compared to any 5.1/7.1/9.1 cheap-o box system.

By the way, you never specified a budget.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

Unless you have a "really" big room 9.1 isn't needed and movies don't really use anything beyond 7.1.  Adding speakers does not increase fidelity or stage, when Stereo was first used in the mid-late 50s it increased stage, same with quad in the 70s.  When 5.1 started to be used it was still quad ad the 4 main stage speakers are the same you're just adding 1 channel which is your center stage and it's really just for dialogue and voice and left and right speakers are used for music and sound and the surround "your back" speakers are used for special sounds and patterns with the main stage speakers.  7 channel stereo  adds height to your stage and 9 channel stereo adds surround height to your stage, get where I'm going here?  9.1 has been a thing with receivers on the very HIGH end but movies, games, or just content is not there for 9 channel surround, 7 channel surround really just got popular in the last 5 years and 5 channel has been a thing since the late 80s and 90s.  

For games I really prefer 2.0 and 2.1 setups, as I've yet to be impressed with piss poor surround in games and music will always be better in 2.0 in my opinion.

5.1 is really the best setup because even though movies do now support 7.1 I've just never been immersed in 7.1 audio.  

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

I prefer the 7.2 or 5.2. The dual subwoofer is super-addictive. I even use two subs with my computer now (a Corsair 2.1 with a Logitech z623). I actually prefer 5.2 over 7.1. Of course the quality of the receiver/amp matters, but the second sub is really cool with movies and games.

Also, check out pawn shops. Some have shockingly high end equipment (Rotel, B&K, Parasound) for cheap. 

Unless you have a "really" big room 9.1 isn't needed and movies don't really use anything beyond 7.1.  Adding speakers does not increase fidelity or stage, when Stereo was first used in the mid-late 50s it increased stage, same with quad in the 70s.  When 5.1 started to be used it was still quad ad the 4 main stage speakers are the same you're just adding 1 channel which is your center stage and it's really just for dialogue and voice and left and right speakers are used for music and sound and the surround "your back" speakers are used for special sounds and patterns with the main stage speakers.  7 channel stereo  adds height to your stage and 9 channel stereo adds surround height to your stage, get where I'm going here?  9.1 has been a thing with receivers on the very HIGH end but movies, games, or just content is not there for 9 channel surround, 7 channel surround really just got popular in the last 5 years and 5 channel has been a thing since the late 80s and 90s.  

For games I really prefer 2.0 and 2.1 setups, as I've yet to be impressed with piss poor surround in games and music will always be better in 2.0 in my opinion.

5.1 is really the best setup because even though movies do now support 7.1 I've just never been immersed in 7.1 audio.  

just cause a reciever has 9.1 channels doesnt mean its high end. its all about quality of the components and reproduction of sound. The true high end home theatre processors actually has less features and concerntrate on audio quality.

CD Transport: Oppo 105 > RCA: Morrow MA1 / HDMI > Processor: Primare SP33 > RCA: Morrow MA1 > Amplifier: Elektra Theatron 7 > Speaker Cables: Neotech > Speakers: Monitor Audio RS8

• 1 year later...

I first purchased the Onkyo Tx-NR838, It did not have the internal amps or the outputs for running additional amps.

I then purchased the Onkyo Tx-NR1030, it is 9,1 and has output to run an aux amp for 11.1 channels.

If you are thinking about later expansion make sure you get a receiver with enough internal amps!

I use mine with all channel stereo more than for movies, absolutely fantastic.

I have two  12" subs up front and a 12" with dual 12" passive radiators in another corner, no bars in town can top my sound.

Thinking of adding another sub in the other corner!

I had one of the first digital time delays years ago, this tops that by a mile.

First off dont buy an all in one system.  I have played with atmos and was very dissappointed.  My suggestion is going with 7.2 seems to be best bang for buck.  5.1 might be ok in a small room but even when you get to medium room 7.1 at a minimum. I would suggest 2 subs for a more full sound.  I know those speaker packages look like they will save you money but they wont.  Internet direct is the way to go for new speakers may cost slightly more but when you don't have to rebuy down the road it will be worth it.  That being said if you buy those speakers and decide it's not for you, your going to be able to recover very little of your investment.  Being very honest I only buy used speakers you can pay 10% of the cost of new speakers and when you want to upgrade it's easy to get money back out of them.  For the receiver do research on what meets your needs and wait for it to go on clearance a lot changes in one year but most things don't stick around and in the first year there is very little content.

I would steer clear of any sound processing that isn't Dolby or DTS, so unless you go Atmos or DTS:X you are going to be limited to 7 speakers and a sub or 2

If you go 7.1 I would recommend your rear speakers be significantly behind you, like at least a couple of feet with your side speakers directly at your sides.

If you can't get that distance from your rear and side speakers they will blend together and you won't get proper sound imaging.

In which case you might as well go 5.1 and save your money.

I used to have my rear speakers about 6' behind me and the sound imaging was amazing. It really sounded like something was passing over head in a movie, and you could really place foot steps while gaming.

I've since turned my room and now my rear speakers are about 1' from my head with my side speakers slightly forward and high. It sounds ok, but I should go to 5.1 or to an Atmos 5.1.2 setup.

7.1 is awesome but if you don't have enough speaker separation its a bit of a waste.

I bought a pioneer vsx 90 7.2 atmos receiver yesterday with 6 polk  t15 bookshelfs, a pioneer center and 2subs. Did a test run with transformers  5.2.2 atmos and it was amazing.  Then did a 7.2 for music and sounded like I was in att cowboys stadium. so I put on the patriots crushing the cowboys and it sounded like I was watching the game live in person again.

In conclusion if you can add more subs I say go for it. I only have the option for 2 and I faced them both towards me in a open living room. sounded killer. With one in the front and back they didn't have as much punch. Maybe that will change when I get them both in my enclosed theatre.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• 3 months later...

Dolby Atmos for the Home Benefits

• Moving Audio That Flows Around You

You'll feel like you're inside the action as the sounds of people, music, and things come alive with breathtaking realism and move all around you in three-dimensional space.

• Reproduces All the Audio Objects in the Original Cinema Mix

Reproduces up to 128 simultaneous audio objects in a mix for rich, realistic, and breathtaking sound.

• Compatible Playback

Dolby Atmos® discs and online content are fully compatible for playback on conventional stereo and on 5.1- and 7.1-channel systems, giving you the same outstanding experience you’ve always enjoyed.

• A Growing Library of Content

As movie directors increasingly choose Dolby Atmos for their soundtracks, you'll find a growing library of movies and other content on Blu-ray Disc™ and online from premium services.