Should I mount as many fans on as possible?

FalzarPMU

title ^

i7 3770 w/ stock cooler - 16 gigs of 1600 mhz ram - AMD Radeon 7770 from Asus - P8H77-M mobo - no name 400w psu - 3000 GB HDD - 128 GB Sandisk SSD all housed in a matte black/red H440

thanks and have fun

title ^

Depends on how much cooling you need. That said you have to maintain a certain balance between intake and exhaust airflow within your case to avoid getting pockets of stagnant air. Not knowing what pc case you have and what setup you're running means I can't help you any further. A good reference point is front intake, top exhaust, top rear exhaust. Bottom fans if you want more air to your GPU. Personally I'm not a fan of side intake fans.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

9mi8w.jpg

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 MB: MSI Z77A-GD55  CPU: i5 3330 OCd to 3.4Ghz CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 2x8GB @ 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming PSU: Seasonic M12II 650W HDD: Two Seagate Barracuda 2TB @ 7200 RPM SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Right now, the case I'm looking at is the phanteks enthoo pro if you need to know

i7 3770 w/ stock cooler - 16 gigs of 1600 mhz ram - AMD Radeon 7770 from Asus - P8H77-M mobo - no name 400w psu - 3000 GB HDD - 128 GB Sandisk SSD all housed in a matte black/red H440

thanks and have fun

1: Positive case pressure (as mentioned by someone else) is optimal for most cases because many aren't necessarily optimized for dust. Neutral/slightly positive case pressure is the best just because you want to keep things equal, or only just enough airflow into your case to make it so dust doesn't get sucked in (assuming intakes are covered with filters). And yes, dust build-up is a thing even in decent cases. It's especially bad in certain environments but mostly with pet owners and smokers, which is when you may consider having that extra intake for a poorly optimized case.

2: # of fans is dependant on components and cooling solutions. I'd recommend going above 4 case fans if you had a combination of an overclocked CPU on air, mid-range GPU or higher, and/or 4+ HDDs. Anything less than 4 HDDs, using a custom loop/AIO cooler for the CPU, or are using a relatively low power consumption GPU, you should be fine with 4. A combination of 2 of those things and you could probably do with just 2, regardless of CPU cooling. If you use a 240mm+ radiator, I suggest front mount intake if available, or top exhaust if not. 120mm rear/top exhaust.

3: Quality, not quanitity. Two good case fans for $9-$15 each is better than 4-6 at $5-10 each that suck. Remember: you wanna enjoy yourself, not create an artificial wind tunnel experiment or constantly deal with dried out bearings/fan noise.

EDIT: 4: Size matters, but not as much as you think. Go with what's cheaper; 200mm and other large sizes are nice but if you can't cram two into your case when you really need that much air flow, you probably shouldn't even bother with one. 140mm and 120mm differences are negligible and that should be left mostly to what case fan slots are available and how many you want or think you need.

Some good case fans are from Cougar, Corsair, Bitfenix, Be Quiet, Noctua (expensive as all hell - not worth), and Cooler Master if you're in need of 200mm. Side note: Hot air rises. Pulling from the bottom can be troublesome depending on the surface under your pc, but at least orient airflow accordingly when you can. Totally not a huge deal unless you do top intake rear/front exhaust with hot components.

Usually, I do two front intakes, one bottom intake, and one rear exhaust.

The top of the case shouldn't have any fans because heat rises, so it'll go out the case anyway. Unless you're running watercooling or anything extreme like high OC's, then I'd recommend doing the four fan setup I said above, or the three fan setup(two intakes and one exhaust).

@Ren

Sorry, I'm not th best when it comes to cooling, can you explain what ____ case pressure is?

thanks and have fun

@Ren

Sorry, I'm not th best when it comes to cooling, can you explain what ____ case pressure is?

Cubic feet of air pushing into an enclosed environment. If it's positive air pressure in your case, all nooks and crannies where dust can build up/sneak in will just push out air. It's more apparent with a lot of airflow in, but you never want no exhaust since that is not going to help cool components down unless it can escape quickly as well. Negative pressure is the opposite and is almost always a bad idea. Not really sure when you'd want to do it but imagine it's like a weak vaccuum cleaner. It won't suck up much but give it time and your GPU/CPU is gonna be overheating in the wrong case without regular cleaning..

Remember, smooth airflow > lots of airflow in most situations.

title ^

No. Having lots of case fans makes an extreemly small, not even noiceable difference in temps, but does make a big difference in noise.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Usually not really good idea. Besides wasting money it will be loud, no matter how silent fans you use. Cases with multiple options are just what I just wrote, options. You can choose which components need most fresh air and where you want it to exhaust. On higher end cases the water cooling options are also the thing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Cubic feet of air pushing into an enclosed environment. If it's positive air pressure in your case, all nooks and crannies where dust can build up/sneak in will just push out air. It's more apparent with a lot of airflow in, but you never want no exhaust since that is not going to help cool components down unless it can escape quickly as well. Negative pressure is the opposite and is almost always a bad idea. Not really sure when you'd want to do it but imagine it's like a weak vaccuum cleaner. It won't suck up much but give it time and your GPU/CPU is gonna be overheating in the wrong case without regular cleaning..

Remember, smooth airflow > lots of airflow in most situations.

Afaik negative pressure is preferred if you aim for performance, it should take hot air away better (at least, this is what a fast google research results are), Agree that positive pressure helps keeping the case clean from dust.

I guess I'll just reiterate what has already been said here. No, it is not a good idea unless you like your PC to sound like a jet engine; furthermore, you should strive for positive pressure to lower dust intake. Three fans consisting of two intakes and one exhaust is plenty until you start getting into ridiculous SLI and CrossFire configurations.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

I guess I'll just reiterate what has already been said here. No, it is not a good idea unless you like your PC to sound like a jet engine; furthermore, you should strive for positive pressure to lower dust intake. Three fans consisting of two intakes and one exhaust is plenty until you start getting into ridiculous SLI and CrossFire configurations.

If he has dust filters and the will to clean his PC from dust, then he should aim for negative pressure. It depends on his case too (if it has "holes") and the GPU fan (if it has radial fan with back exhaust): these two factor will make positive pressure hard to achieve.

I like to think that more fans means you can run them more slowly for the same airflow which means quieter operation. Heatsink and PSU included, my build will have 11 120mm fans, each spinning very slowly.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

in the phanteks enthoo pro i would go with 5 fans.

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

Two in the front, two in the top, and one in the back. Front as intake, maybe a rear intake, and top exhaust (to keep positive air pressure).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

@tmcclelland455

and thats the kind of answer I was also looking for, thanks.

thanks and have fun

Two in the front, two in the top, and one in the back. Front as intake, maybe a rear intake, and top exhaust (to keep positive air pressure).

I would prefer rear as exhaust, it depends on how your heatsinks or radiators are mounted.

Regard pressure: if you can manage fan speed, then you should stay in positive pressure while idle and negative when under heavy load, so you can take advantage of both types :)

I would prefer rear as exhaust, it depends on how your heatsinks or radiators are mounted.

Regard pressure: if you can manage fan speed, then you should stay in positive pressure while idle and negative when under heavy load, so you can take advantage of both types :)

You do make a valid point.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

@tmcclelland455

and thats the kind of answer I was also looking for, thanks.

No problem. :)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I got 6 intakes and 4 exhausts on my Enthoo Primo, 2 are pulling air through the hdd cages!, still trying to find the best config! Just test dude, test!

This setup works real well in my 550D.... Three 120mm intakes and one 140mm pulling air out the back. :)

sg74.jpg